Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,093,888 times

Advertisements

So...obama (and you appear to agree) believe that some people just aren't able to pull themselves up? You have to give them special handouts because they're incapable? Is that it?

Look...fact of the matter is, I was unemployed for about 6 months in 2001. I'm not ashamed to admit we took advantage of WIC and they bought my kid formula, and the state bought her hearing aids.

It's good to help those that need it...but a few hundred more dollars in a "rebate" to people that don't pay taxes already isn't going to do it. It's only going to drive the federal government more in debt and raise the burden on all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,210,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So...obama (and you appear to agree) believe that some people just aren't able to pull themselves up? You have to give them special handouts because they're incapable? Is that it?

Look...fact of the matter is, I was unemployed for about 6 months in 2001. I'm not ashamed to admit we took advantage of WIC and they bought my kid formula, and the state bought her hearing aids.

It's good to help those that need it...but a few hundred more dollars in a "rebate" to people that don't pay taxes already isn't going to do it. It's only going to drive the federal government more in debt and raise the burden on all of us.
Who's going to work the backbone jobs?
What happens when you become disabled?
What happens to people who are born disabled?
What happens when you cannot afford education and you are helping support family?
What happens when you are in college and you become disabled?
What happens to the people with an IQ of 60?

Should they be taxed the same as those who make several hundred million a year?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Yes. They should be taxed the same rate. If they don't have an income they don't pay taxes.

What did Obama do to go to college?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yes. They should be taxed the same rate. If they don't have an income they don't pay taxes.

What did Obama do to go to college?
Okay if that is how you feel, then that is how you feel.. It doen't make it right.. I believe the word and what it has to say about the needy..

Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 AM

what word is that? How does it contradict what I'm saying?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
what word is that? How does it contradict what I'm saying?
My advice is to read it.. It's all over the good book..

Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,630,175 times
Quote:

How the hell are you going to get a tax rebate if you don't even pay taxes? I'm so sick of people like you thinking he's going to give every welfare sponging dead beat a blank check over the next four years.

Unless I'm wrong, if you're not working or paying income taxes, don't you not file? I'm not completely sure how it works for people who live solely off of welfare with no job. It seems to me they wouldn't get anything back since they would have nothing to show.

Plus Obama's plan isn't going to make anyone wealthy. It's just some form of relief for working people. What's wrong with that? We've been giving the super wealthy break after break because they can afford to lobby representatives for favors. Our elected officials should be our advocates in government but we only pay them their salaries and not millions in donations or political favors.

The middle class now has a decent shot at representation over the wealthy and it's a good thing. Obama's plan isn't going to bankrupt the rich anymore than it's going to be a windfall for the middle class.

EVERYONE is going to have to chip in for the next while. We have 2 seperate wars to fund and billions in unfunded debt. Part of the reason for the shortfall is the Bush tax cuts. He cut taxes right before going on a major government spending spree. How the hell would you not expect a tax raise from a Dem or Republican at some point?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM

In answer to ehenningsen -- I do read the Bible. I also give to charity, and help to support the needy. I absolutely agree we need to help those in need. I just don't think the government is the best way to help everyone. Yes, we need some government help, but government can't solve it all.

Now, in answer to DTO Luv: It's a simple fact that 40% of the people in America don't pay taxes. Many people actually get more money back than they pay in.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but I really don't think we give huge tax breaks to the wealthy. It's easy to play that card, but I just don't think it's true.

Fact of the matter is, it's been proven time and time again that the way to generate tax revenue is to actually cut taxes. The economy always slows down when you raise taxes.

Say what you want, but our corporations pay something like the 2nd highest taxes in the world. There was a question earlier about why companies ship jobs to other countries. Do the math--if it's cheaper to ship it to china, you'll do it. Maybe lower taxes would encourage corporations to keep them here.

I'll gladly come back here to eat crow in a year if obama turns things around thirough his policies...but I'm not optimistic.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 PM

240 posts, read 505,900 times
[quote=kdbrich;6114358]

Fact of the matter is, it's been proven time and time again that the way to generate tax revenue is to actually cut taxes. The economy always slows down when you raise taxes. quote]

That actually has not been proven time and time again.

That philosophy didn't work after Reagan left office and that is why George H.W. Bush had to reneg on his promise of not raising taxes.

In fact, some attribute those tax increases in early 1990 and 91' to the beginning of the rise in the economy during the Clinton era.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,836 times
I know yacht manufacturing is booming right now, while people are losing their homes. I'm puzzled at those who make relative crumbs for their hard work defending those very few who skim most of the money off the top. AIG got their first bailout billions and the top execs went and had a party that cost more than many of us together will make in years. I'm sure they were laughing their arses off at all of us working stiffs paying the bill for them. Unless you win the birth lottery, you can't get rich without the hard work of those that live paycheck to paycheck. I know a very wealthy BH investor who mocks those who defend him (he's a liberal); he made more money on the Bush tax cuts than most here will make in several years. The uber wealthy have successfully divided the working class through BS politics, and while we bicker and point fingers at each other, they are getting away with not just OUR money, but our children's and beyond. Doesn't it bother some of you that a man can take more money out of a FAILING business than your entire working class family tree will make in a lifetime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha