Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 PM

737 posts, read 1,917,109 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 26,598 times
Smile Maybe..

Once Fahey is recalled everything in the city will improve.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 PM

303 posts, read 980,851 times
Thoughts? Frustration. Anger.

I live around the corner near the brown restaurant-bar that got tagged. It has really gotten out of control. Last week on the way home from work, around 1am, I spotted 3 male youths lurking around at 20th and Castelar. I slowed down and looked in my rear view mirror, and noticed two run across the street while the other flashed a pen light twice. I called 911 and reported my suspicions. The next day the red bricked business had been marked on some more.

How can we solve it? Continue to report suspicious activity and hope we don't get asked a million questions by the 911 operator, like, "what makes you think they are going to tag a biulding?" " Are they are armed? Gee, like I would know? Am I going to stop and confront the punks, "Hey guys, I think you are up to no-good. By the way, are you armed?" Not going to happen in todays society.

Stiffer penalities and fines to the offenders might help.

The public being more aware and more involved would help, and not a "live and let live" attitude. This has got to be a combined police and community effort and get involved.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,792 times
Unfortunetly its not just an Omaha sign. You can see graffiti on rural stop signs out here in central Nebraska. Probably no tagging, just immature individuals, but I have to agree that the best way to prevent it is probably public involvement. The police unfortunetly have bigger crimes to contend with.

Years ago I saw a Saturday Night Live scetch where they solved the graffiti problem by writing sucks under their name or tag, perhaps that would work

Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM

709 posts, read 2,181,233 times
The city needs to hire a crew of painters to go out everyday and paint over the graffiti. That's what we do, the mayor wanted to cut off their thumbs but that didn't fly.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
The city needs to hire a crew of painters to go out everyday and paint over the graffiti. That's what we do, the mayor wanted to cut off their thumbs but that didn't fly.
Omaha actually has one of those... but over our winters they can't get out so the graffiti accumulates...

Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,883 times
The city of Omaha also just passed an ordinance which requires that you be at least 18 years old to buy spray paint.

In addition, penalties for minors caught defacing property with paint face a minimum 120 hours of community service... and at least 3 days in jail for adults plus community service.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:50 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Years ago I saw a Saturday Night Live scetch where they solved the graffiti problem by writing sucks under their name or tag, perhaps that would work
You first. I'd rather not get shot over something like that.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM

193 posts, read 656,649 times
I found pictures of people on facebook doing Grafitti in Elmwood park in daylight. Really makes me mad...

Old 05-02-2008, 04:09 PM

273 posts, read 249,366 times
We had some grafitti appear in our neighborhood. City hall said they'd notify the grafitti unit, but added they were backed up. No problem, I painted over it immediately and let them know, so they would recognize the location. About a week later, the city came out and did a nice job covering it up. No other grafitti has appeared there in the 3 years since.

I think citizens taking immediate action sends a clear message to offenders; "You are wasting your paint money in this neighborhood".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: