Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM

624 posts, read 1,311,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Crossroads had a transit center and it still died. It was also a fairly pedestrian friendly mall. Walking to Westroads is almost a death sentence, and that is wrong. Honestly I don't think they can do anything to stop the inevitable. Large shopping centers almost always fade over time unless they offer something unique, and Westroads is not that.
Maybe there ought to be a skywalk of sorts from the transit center to the mall entrance next to Friday's.

There are some improvements I'd really love to realistically see happen at Westroads that would really vitalize the area.

If you look at all of the parking lots at Westroads the majority of them are full or nearly full. There are three lots that are really the "blacksheep", if you will, of the parking lots at Westroads.

The northeast parking lot for JC Penny's, Dicks' parking lot and Younkers' southwest parking lot. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I've observed these parking lots to be relatively unused for the most part.

In these parking lots I would picture dense residential and office space, bays for essential things like dentists office, a quick care doctor's office, chiropractor, drug store, gym. No retail since that would detract from the actual mall. Nothing taller than three stories to keep in plane with the roofs of the mall. And to keep with the recurring theme lately, call them "The Villages at Westroads"!

Last edited by Busguy2010; 08-04-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:08 PM

817 posts, read 1,772,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Maybe there ought to be a skywalk of sorts from the transit center to the mall entrance next to Friday's.

There are some improvements I'd really love to realistically see happen at Westroads that would really vitalize the area.

If you look at all of the parking lots at Westroads the majority of them are full or nearly full. There are three lots that are really the "blacksheep", if you will, of the parking lots at Westroads.

The northeast parking lot for JC Penny's, Dicks' parking lot and Younkers' southwest parking lot. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I've observed these parking lots to be relatively unused for the most part.

In these parking lots I would picture dense residential and office space, bays for essential things like dentists office, a quick care doctor's office, chiropractor, drug store, gym. No retail since that would detract from the actual mall. Nothing taller than three stories to keep in plane with the roofs of the mall. And to keep with the recurring theme lately, call them "The Villages at Westroads"!
They really only need to do 2 things to make the area better. Install more traffic lights with longer pedestrian crossing times, and lower the speed limit. 40 is just insane for that area (as most do 50). It makes the area feel more like a raceway, not a shopping center. Even dodge street near crossroads is only 35, and that is a major street and not just a loop circling a mall.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 PM

This is the type of thing I meant by filling in the Parking lots I talked about.
Attached Thumbnails
Westroads Mall-westroads-mixed-use-development.jpg  

Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 PM

30 posts, read 103,491 times
All of the big malls in the area are experiencing year over year declines right now, however westroads is doing much better than the rest. The marketing manager there told me recently that they have locked in 4 major tenants and will be doing some work to the mall to accommodate. Not sure what they are as she couldn't tell me, but whenever small stores move in I never hear about it...so I'm assuming its probably big.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,553,998 times
what would u all suggest westroads do to improve?

maybe cause of the down economy maybe westroads cant afford to remodel

btw:

the legacy and village pointe havent done anything new in last year, are they dying or going to be like crossroads mall?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

busguy, that wont happen.

Curt Simon and METRO and the city of Omaha wont allow a bus route between oakview and westroads mall

or a bus route from westroads mall down west maple road out to 168th and west maple

what make you think a skywalk would happen?

as for a drugstore, they already got one at 90th and dodge called Walgreens where the 2 and 5 routes are at.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,193,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
the legacy and village pointe havent done anything new in last year, are they dying or going to be like crossroads mall?
They will. "Lifestyle centers" are a fad that will end up failing eventually. Not to say it is currently going down, that would be like saying Crossroads Mall was dying in 1968. Village Point is the Celebrity Homes of retail options. You can get it anywhere and it will depreciate in value over the years. VP missed their chance at something great when they didn't include apartments above the shops.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
They will. "Lifestyle centers" are a fad that will end up failing eventually. Not to say it is currently going down, that would be like saying Crossroads Mall was dying in 1968. Village Point is the Celebrity Homes of retail options. You can get it anywhere and it will depreciate in value over the years. VP missed their chance at something great when they didn't include apartments above the shops.

you are right, they should have put some apartments above the shops. btw: I never get out to VP area cause no bus route (excluding a express one) runs out there.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
busguy, that wont happen.

Curt Simon and METRO and the city of Omaha wont allow a bus route between oakview and westroads mall

or a bus route from westroads mall down west maple road out to 168th and west maple

what make you think a skywalk would happen?

as for a drugstore, they already got one at 90th and dodge called Walgreens where the 2 and 5 routes are at.

I don't know, we have yet to discover the personalities of Westroads' officials. I'm assuming Omaha doesn't own any of the property within that circle of roads, so that wouldn't be up to them. Maybe Westroads would get something done if they realize that a skywalk would greatly improve pedestrian connectivity between the mall and the transit center.

As for the drug store, that was just a suggestion for tennants in that fake development. Maybe it wouldn't be needed, but I think it would be more useful than a cupcake store or a Juice Stop or any other generic restaurant. The point is to make it so residents wouldn't have to drive or ride the bus many places.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know, we have yet to discover the personalities of Westroads' officials. I'm assuming Omaha doesn't own any of the property within that circle of roads, so that wouldn't be up to them. Maybe Westroads would get something done if they realize that a skywalk would greatly improve pedestrian connectivity between the mall and the transit center.

As for the drug store, that was just a suggestion for tennants in that fake development. Maybe it wouldn't be needed, but I think it would be more useful than a cupcake store or a Juice Stop or any other generic restaurant. The point is to make it so residents wouldn't have to drive or ride the bus many places.

if westroads mall had more bus routes besides 4/22 combo (22 dont run on sundays)

and 14 (14 dont run on weekends) and 5 (5 dont run on sundays)

and 2 running

then I could see why a skywalk would be needed.

we should focus on a bus route between oakview and westroads mall

before we start on a skywalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: