Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM

169 posts, read 580,899 times

Advertisements

Just checking in & wondering how things are going today. Hope y'all are doing O.K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,448,278 times
Morning bjb, I was wondering the same thing...how everyone is doing. I see this storm is moving across a bunch of States. Hope everyone is warm and safe.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM

355 posts, read 819,582 times
Rain just turned to sleet/snow mix. My parents 2 hours north have tree limbs touching the ground, powerlines sagging, and dad said blade of grass look like fat people fingers lol.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,547,821 times
Still just a cold rain here on the south bank of the Red River.

I got a call this morning from our SBC DR assessor head. The troops are beginning to move out already. The plan is to field as many damage assessors as can be rounded up and flood the state with them. After a couple of days, they'll be followed by the chainsaw crews wherever they're needed. I'm not sure about the feeding units, but I imagine some of them are already in operation.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go as I have things here which need attending to, but I'll be ready in a week or so, I hope.

If any of you have chainsaw needs, or know anyone who does, contact the Red Cross, emergency management or your nearest Southern Baptist Church for more information about when, and where, the crews will be. It's entirely a free service; you don't even have to listen to a sermon! LOL We focus on trees which are on, or in, houses or those which are blocking access. The homes of disabled people or those with serious, life-threatening illnesses are also a priority.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Hughes County?

I graduated from Moss High School, and my parents still live inbetween Wetumka and Horntown.
Hey LK, we live north of Hooterville, been thru Horntown many a time, those Moss HS kids are wild and crazy I hear.

We lost DirecTV first, then the power last night, lost my internet (it's a radio signal). We have power now, a farmer came down the country road with a chainsaw and cleared it, so I ran into town for emergency suppies (beer and cigs).

The roads were not iced up here. The internet just came back up. But we have major tree damage.

Around here Yeager, Sasakwa and Moss were without power last night. We are having a good heavy snow now.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM

355 posts, read 819,582 times
Mom and dad never lost power thankfully.....It's just now starting to snow down south. Nothing sticking though.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Mom and dad never lost power thankfully.....It's just now starting to snow down south. Nothing sticking though.
Ours came back on, but our neighbors didn't. Luckily Uncle Don is old school and we have plenty of kerosene lamps. That smell and soft lighting reminds me of my grandparents' cellar.

This was taken before the snow started falling.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,671,593 times
In Stillwater it's been snowing this afternoon with just over 2" accumulated. Fortunately, little ice accumulated on the trees during yesterday's storm. Sorry to learn that not everyone dodged the ice.
Click on to go to stillwaterweather.com for more:

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 17,020 times
We seem to have had a quick transition from freezing rain to sleet/snow here in the Ark River Valley. Weather radio said we were supposed to get 1/4 to 1/2 inch of freezing rain, but it looks like snow to me! Minimal ice accumulation on trees and elevated surfaces.

Hope everyone further north and west of here is doing okay, seems they got the worst of it, but it's far from over here. Just getting started.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 PM

75 posts, read 220,282 times
Default Grove, ice?

Wondering if anyone knows if and how much ice Grove got?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma