Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I found the summers in Phoenix particularly brutal. Are OK summers similar?
No way. Even though the humidity in Oklahoma is much worse than Phoenix, when it's 118 outside it's still like an oven, you just may not sweat as much. And in Phoenix it DOES get up to 118 on a regular basis, whereas Oklahoma generally doesn't rise above 100 to many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,404,765 times
I'll be trading COLD Winters for cool Summers, but the older I get, the colder I get,
so I guess it will be a trade-off...

Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,404,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
There ya go CG! Glad you're doing better.
Thanks on both counts!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Nope, you trade one for the other. I guess the only other choice would be to live in San Diego, where the weather is nice but kind of boring. As far as "temperate" weather in the US. I think a place like Albuquerque has some of the nicest weather; it never really gets too hot or too cold.

Somebody rep CG he's almost at a 100!

Oh, now come on, no one but medical doctors and lawyers can afford to live in San Diego. LOL. Well, I did but I had to live in a trailer park, and even then $600 to $800 a month for a space to park my trailer was a bit too much. I can't see Computer Guy living there. And the people are nothing like us Okies. You won't find a lot of friendlies, but they are still pretty nice. And yes, the weather there is so boring. I had to move inland to get a little more weather, and yet the marine layer followed me. I wanted sunshine, not a marine layer. I wanted a real summer but they never had one. I wanted trees that changed color and lost their leaves, but they were hard to find. I wanted a real winter, but they didn't have one. This part of OK is just perfect where I live. We don't get the heavier snows of Tulsa, which really aren't much, but we get just the right amount, but to hear me complain it doesn't last long enough, so maybe Tulsa and area are better. The summers are warm, but they are bearable, not like MS or the panhandle of FL--places where I have lived, places where I hated the summers. I don't hate them here, but sometimes I realize that I prefer the drier summers of Paso Robles where I grew up. But Paso didn't have the snow that we get.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,994,129 times
Quote:
.......... the humidity in Oklahoma is much worse than Phoenix...............
Actually there is a noticeable trend, observed by climatologists, that the number of swimming pools has caused the Phoenix's humidity to rise to unprecedented levels. I cannot imagine a 118 degree day with 90% humidity. I take that back, I CAN imagine it. The pastor of the church I used to go to described my destination as being something similar.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,625,397 times
It's probably lower in temperature but higher in humidity in OK.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,330,024 times
Quote:
No way. Even though the humidity in Oklahoma is much worse than Phoenix, when it's 118 outside it's still like an oven, you just may not sweat as much. And in Phoenix it DOES get up to 118 on a regular basis, whereas Oklahoma generally doesn't rise above 100 to many times.
100 degrees is one thing, 100 degrees with humidity in the high 90s is something else again. That's what summers in St Louis were like when I was a kid. The last summer I spent there, 1966, there was a World Series in the old Busch Stadium - it got up to 130 in the infield, and over 300 people in the stands were hospitalized with heat stroke. Not my cuppa tea, even if I did grow up there.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,442,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Actually there is a noticeable trend, observed by climatologists, that the number of swimming pools has caused the Phoenix's humidity to rise to unprecedented levels. I cannot imagine a 118 degree day with 90% humidity. I take that back, I CAN imagine it. The pastor of the church I used to go to described my destination as being something similar.
Soouth of Houston is one place where the humidity is unbearible. To me anyway.
I lived there for awhile as a teen in the early 70's and couldn't stand it. I could hardly breath. That's when I moved to Ca.
I rode a freight train from St Luis, to Sa Diego.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:56 PM

Yeah, Houston is a fine city but that climate is not to my liking. It's bad enough in DFW but the humidity down there is stifling to me. It's 77 degrees here in DFW today and the humidity is at 31 percent and it feels yucky. I can only imagine being in Houston with 92 degrees and 70 percent humidity in the summer; horrible. It was 84 or 85 here in DFW this last Summer - it was after a rain and the humidity was horrible. I was trying to work outside and kept having to come in and towel off because of the unbearable humidity. I've worked in 100 degree heat with low humidity and it didn't bother me near as much.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:57 PM

Compare the 31% humidity with Houston's current, which is at 74%. It has to feel miserable there right now.

HOUSTON, TX
76 °F / 24 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 74%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma