Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Hi Synopsis-whazzup? Not sure what part of the state you are from, but I was wondering if you, or one of the Okie people can tell me if they still have the record/cd swap meets in the hotels in Tulsa and Oklahoma City? Two of the best small independent record shops in Tulsa is/was Lees, and also Mohawk. Are they still there?
Hiya Double H, From what I have found on the net Lees is still up and running but Mohawk may not be.

Lees Records....Specializing in rare and out of print vinyl records. Beatles, Elvis,* and more!!!!

I'm sure Synopsis may know more.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Not as good as when we were there last week and I shrieked like my wife when I saw a small brown hunting spider.
(She was quite embarrassed for me. )

You'll have to do better than that case.
FTFY.....

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Hi Ladyrobyn-thanks for the tip. Done some diggin' when I googled Tulsa record shops and there was an article on Mohawks closing, back in 2001. The other end of my post is that at the Holiday Inn, off I-44 would have vinyl and CD swap meets where storeowners, mail order dealers, or just collectors would pay a fee for a table and sell their wares. I loved goin' to those but lately it has been a casualty of the gas situation. They haven't had any in some time there and I did not know if someone has picked up the promoting end of it or not.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
WELL, this is kind of a long story, BUT~we really like Ok. Three and a half years ago, we started looking for a warmer area of the country to relocate to when DH turns 62. He did that last month and we're still here. We'd been teetering between OK and another state and about a month ago nearly made the fatal move to the other state because it's warmer then OK and has palm trees, which I love. Luckily, before we quit our jobs or picked up and left, we learned it wasn't right for us. We definitely need a little more honesty and accuracy from employers. We just need a more caring and down to earth place. You know, where most people still know what compassion is.
Guess I read too many articles and saw too many things such as how they treat their homeless, etc.

Years ago I saw pics of Tulsa and thought it looked so beautiful. We finally ended up going down there a couple of years ago. We just loved it with all the beautiful buildings and the flower gardens and museums, etc. It's definitely a more populated area then we'd like to live in, but it's all that we expected it to be. The people were friendly and the drivers were even courteous. Maybe they just figured since we were from out of state, they'd better stay out of our way. There seems to be plenty of employment there and the cost of living is very reasonable. The Okies seem to be a lot like the people from my own state.

Grove is actually the place that stole our hearts. It is SO cool. The only problem with Grove is the fact that there is very limited employment there. It's more of a place to live if you're both old enough (and rich enough) to retire.

We need an area that's a lot like eastern OK or like western SD. An area that would be like either one would be just perfect except it's got to stay above 50 degrees. DH isn't a mover so I have to get this right the first time.

OK, end of my story for now.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
FTFY.....
It's not nice to modify peoples' posts when quoting them LR...

I KNOW you don't wanna play that game here.
(Although it might be fun.)

BTW... What's "FTFY"?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
It's not nice to modify peoples' posts when quoting them LR...

I KNOW you don't wanna play that game here.
(Although it might be fun.)

BTW... What's "FTFY"?
What?? I didn't modify anything! http://bestsmileys.com/angles/14.gif (broken link)

I just Fixed That For You. http://bestsmileys.com/evil/3.gif (broken link)

Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 AM

BTW, I won't be around to harass y'all much today or tomorrow because we have a house guest. For anyone who likes to solve mysteries he does Automotive Reviews for ExpoTV...

We've known him since he was a "wet behind the ears" 15 yr old and now he's semi-famous... but he still likes to come visit from time to time.

Any guesses?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Default New Job News

Well, I got offered a job by The Hartford, as a property and casualty insurance phone agent. Another call center, but it seems a lot nicer than the one I came from. The training starts May 19th, with a full six to eight month training period But benefits start on day one, which is a great relief since we're paying over $1300 a month for COBRA right now.

However, on the funny side, Doug got an interview for Friday for a Systems Administrator job. The funny part is the job interview is taking place while they're fishing at Lake Hefner. He had to go out and buy a fishing pole, since we left ours in NJ by mistake, and two fishing licenses. This is by far the strangest job interview I've ever heard of, and I worked as a headhunter for several years. He's meeting the guy at 7 AM in front of the building where the office is, and from there they're headed to Lake Hefner to fish (and interview). I guess if you live long enough, you see everything!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Craig Fraser ?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Well, I got offered a job by The Hartford, as a property and casualty insurance phone agent. Another call center, but it seems a lot nicer than the one I came from. The training starts May 19th, with a full six to eight month training period But benefits start on day one, which is a great relief since we're paying over $1300 a month for COBRA right now.

However, on the funny side, Doug got an interview for Friday for a Systems Administrator job. The funny part is the job interview is taking place while they're fishing at Lake Hefner. He had to go out and buy a fishing pole, since we left ours in NJ by mistake, and two fishing licenses. This is by far the strangest job interview I've ever heard of, and I worked as a headhunter for several years. He's meeting the guy at 7 AM in front of the building where the office is, and from there they're headed to Lake Hefner to fish (and interview). I guess if you live long enough, you see everything!
colleeng47, That's great to hear. Right now I have AllState.
I'm jealous, I haven't been able go fishing yet this year. My trucks loaded with camping & fishing gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma