Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,341,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Very nice front moving just south of us. It dropped the mercury to 78 F. !!!!!

Coolicious!!
Oh, yeah! Doesn't feel like every breath is singeing the insides of one's lungs. Paddy wants to go out and play, now.

Last edited by karibear; 07-30-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,500,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss, jammie. We have fur-babies too. I know the feeling.

On another topic, the recent story of the 2 month old infant being killed by a puppy in Tulsa was really tragic.

NewsOK Mobile

I couldnt believe that when I heard it. I also heard there is speculation that the baby could of been dead before the puppy got to it...but who knows. The whole thing is sad

Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Hey, 65 is just another number. And some of us are just bouncier than others - some of us do our bouncing in other ways.

And don't forget James Garner, Sean Connery, Richard Boone, Robert Mitchum, Jack Palance, and James Coburn - not all are still alive now, but they were more than active in their 60's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I am hurting SO badly today. We lost one of our precious little pets this morning. She was only four years old and had cancer. I can't tell you how bad of a day this is for me.

Sorry Jammie about your little one...was it a cat or dog? It's so hard to loose them. We had to put my daughters kitty to sleep and it was only 10 months old because it got a disease and it was so sad to watch her be sad. Then when I moved here I had to leave my cat of 14 years with my daughter because I didn't think he would do well on the trip. I did get a new kitty from the animal shelter 8 months ago and hes cute but it's hard to forget about those ones you love.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,840,602 times
Default Crisis averted...more problems ahead...

As you all know, I have been fostering a baby Robin for the last few weeks. Today we had a near disaster.

Peep is in a mid-size box that I keep tightly secured because I own 2 cats. Earlier today I forgot to secure his box after feeding him and left for errands...I remembered on the way home and panicked wondering if I would find feathers all over the house.

As I came in the door I saw his Box was undisturbed and no feathers on the floor... *whew* I secured the Box and checked to find the cat sound asleep in the back den. *whew* (again ) Walking back in the front room I am greeted by Peep who flies across the room and lands at my feet!!! He had been loose the whole time and by some miracle the cat never heard him!

Now I have a problem... Part of a successful wildlife foster is having as little contact as possible, only handling when necessary. I noticed that Peep had a broken toe on one foot (his "main" toe) but I wasn't too concerned... Robins are resilient and one bad toe is no big deal.

2 days ago I realized that despite his rapid growth and ability to fly well, he wasn't "hopping" like he should... I examined him closer and found that his "Good Leg" is completely useless! It isn't broken, but the toes do not function at all... he tends to try and stand on the one semi-good foot and leave the other laying behind him.

So he is fine on flat surfaces and he flies well but he cannot "perch" at all. He is actually old enough to forage on his own and be released, but he would have to sleep on the ground. (Cat Food for sure! )

I have already had one Robin as a pet years ago (she had health probs and couldn't be released) and I know that there is NO way I can keep him with 2 cats in the house!! Robins are protein eaters and need bugs and worms to survive...

Any ideas or thoughts? Should I go ahead and train him to forage and let him go or what??? I need ideas quickly... he is growing fast and the *window* between Wild Bird and Pet Bird is closing rapidly.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,802,904 times
Is there some type of wild life organization in OK that you can contact? What about calling the Forest Rangers (or whatever they're called in OK)?

Aside from that I can't imagine what you can do. I've never fostered a wild animal of any type, so I don't know what would help this poor bird.

What about calling the zoo? Would that do any good? Maybe your local animal control people? As you can see, I'm as helpful as a broken crutch

Old 08-01-2008, 05:34 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,578,280 times
Get out the flour and start warming up the crisco in a cast iron skillet! Then ring the triangle and hollar supppperrrrrrrrrr to git the menfolk in from the fields.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,979,763 times
That's a tough call LR. Maybe you can train Peep to stay in the trees?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,496,632 times
Thank you, Chickrae. She was a kitty. We used to have a houseful of sweet little furballs and now all we have is our little boy. He's so lonely and confused right now. We nearly lost him about a month ago, but he's doing fine physically now. He'll be 16 this month.

Robyn, you know it's possible that your cats knew that Peep was there and unprotected, but chose not to hurt her. We have been SO fortunate to always have loving pets who wouldn't hurt a flea. Well, except a kitty we had to tried to kill a bee. That was only because she was trying to protect the dog who had just had surgery and the other cat who was just a baby.

OK has been mentioned on the Weather Channel quite frequently. It looks pretty warm down there.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:02 PM

It's so hot. I went outside to the garden to pick cucumbers and tomatoes and felt like I was in a sauna. Then I wanted to go to Ross Dress For Less store to take advantage of the "Free no sales tax" day on clothes but I am too tired and hot to drive in the air conditioned car to get to the air conditioned store. This heat is too much. I guess its only 101 but the heat index is 110 or something ridiculous like that.

Sorry about your kitty Jammie. I had to leave my cat of 11 years in Utah when I moved because my grandaughter really wanted her and I didnt think she would do well with the move. So then I got a new kitty last November on our 6 month wedding anniversary and we named him AC for anniversary cat.....but I still miss my other cat. I had to get a little "okie" cat though...straight from the animal shelter in Tulsa

Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,979,763 times
Jammie, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitten.

You want some heat Chickrae? Try this forecast of your neighbors down here in DFW on for size..

Video On Demand | WFAA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma