Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,840,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
LR, your granddaughter is absolutely adorable!! Is she the one with the new baby brother or sister on the way?

Actually, it's too hot outside to swim during the day. I usually go out at night time and do my laps. If you and Jim are so desperate to cool off that you want to take a trip up, come any time.
Yep, that's the one! I'm not too sure she is going to be willing to share HER Gramma either. I'm going to have to watch my step with this new baby.

As much fun as that sounds, I think we will wait till the weather cools... you would HAVE to throw us in the pool just to revive us in this heat! Or hide our bodies in the underground pool if we didn't survive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
BTW...Hows Jim's new job comin'?
It's comin' along just fine MK. He says he is getting LAZY from all of the driving around, but he is enjoying getting to see so much more of the County now! He should be pokin' around here somewhere...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,840,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Don't want to suck it up...I want to whine.......ha ha
Me too! I can't find a good whining smiley... maybe this one will do!
http://bestsmileys.com/crying/13.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Cute grandaughter......can I come get in her pool too
Sure! But we might have to take turns. And our lawn doesn't look like that anymore... that was in June. It is all dead now and covered in Pine Needles that our Pine Tree has dropped. More of a crispy wasteland out there now...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM

46 posts, read 142,544 times
the job is really picking up ........................................ ........................

I do a lot of picking up of garbage on the highways.
I travel down 53 east and west, 81 north and south, 7 east and west and 29 east. no more than 2-3 highways in a day. I go from county line to county line on those highways.

It is not a bad job but I am getting fatter by the hour behind the wheel.
I miss my leftover lunches too.

All in all not a bad place to work.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,500,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Me too! I can't find a good whining smiley... maybe this one will do!
http://bestsmileys.com/crying/13.gif (broken link)

Sure! But we might have to take turns. And our lawn doesn't look like that anymore... that was in June. It is all dead now and covered in Pine Needles that our Pine Tree has dropped. More of a crispy wasteland out there now...
I am all for taking turns. I have one grandaughter and she is finally coming to visit me in OK. Our yard has never been the same since the ice storm. I am sure the heat isn't helping anyones lawns and its definitely not "working in the garden" weather.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,802,904 times
Quote:
I am all for taking turns. I have one grandaughter and she is finally coming to visit me in OK. Our yard has never been the same since the ice storm. I am sure the heat isn't helping anyones lawns and its definitely not "working in the garden" weather.
My idea of "working in the garden" is dousing it with water first thing in the morning, and scurrying back to the house. Our garden is pitiful. The cukes are coming out bitter and in all sorts of twisted shapes. The maters are so small one bite takes 'em (no, they're not cherry or grape tomatoes either). The basil is doing ok, and we have one watermelon (very tiny) that hasn't grown beyond tiny for over a week now. Farmer Gray I am not. I hope to make a better effort next year. Start earlier, use compost, other "garden" type things.

(going to lash myself with a wet noodle now)

Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
My idea of "working in the garden" is dousing it with water first thing in the morning, and scurrying back to the house. Our garden is pitiful. The cukes are coming out bitter and in all sorts of twisted shapes. The maters are so small one bite takes 'em (no, they're not cherry or grape tomatoes either). The basil is doing ok, and we have one watermelon (very tiny) that hasn't grown beyond tiny for over a week now. Farmer Gray I am not. I hope to make a better effort next year. Start earlier, use compost, other "garden" type things.

(going to lash myself with a wet noodle now)
We have tons of cucumbers and many of ours are bitter too and very weird screwed up shapes. I think we only watered twice...is that bad? It seemed like it was so flooded with all the rain and now nothing. Our grape tomatoes are pretty good. I run outside with a bag, grab as many as I can and go back in. I honestly can't eat one more cucumber. I am trying to eat 3 a day to keep up and no one seems to want them. I tried pawning them off at work. I did make salsa with some of our bigger tomatoes. Our okra is doing pretty good. Bell peppers...nothing. Too hot to work in the garden, call me a whinney baby, but I am not going out there

Old 08-05-2008, 02:42 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,341,729 times
Quote:
We have tons of cucumbers and many of ours are bitter too and very weird screwed up shapes. I think we only watered twice...is that bad? It seemed like it was so flooded with all the rain and now nothing. Our grape tomatoes are pretty good. I run outside with a bag, grab as many as I can and go back in. I honestly can't eat one more cucumber. I am trying to eat 3 a day to keep up and no one seems to want them. I tried pawning them off at work. I did make salsa with some of our bigger tomatoes. Our okra is doing pretty good. Bell peppers...nothing. Too hot to work in the garden, call me a whinney baby, but I am not going out there
We used to eat sliced cukes mixed with sliced onions and slathered with vinegar. Was my gran's favorite thing in the summer. Or for all the veggies you can't eat/give away, run them through a juicer and freeze the juice for soup stock in the winter. If you have plenty of tomatoes and don't put bell peppers in it, you've got home made V-8 juice! I just made some last night with a big zucchini, a couple stalks of celery, and a couple tomatoes - tastes just fine. Whatever pulp is left goes in the compost pile.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I read that soaking cukes in salt water would take away the bitterness, but that didn't work. Now I read that peeling the skin off helps because that's where the bitterness is. I pickled most of my cukes and they turned out fine. There's a mix you can buy so that you can pickle them and store them in the frig -- no need to do the "caning" process, which I'm always afraid to try because I don't want to poison anyone.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:05 PM

I peel the cucumbers with a knife and take some of the inside with it and they are still bitter. It could be because we haven't watered like we should. I thought we were in Green Country and didn't have too... ha ha. I will have to try some of these ideas mentioned. Especially the v8 juice.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
We used to eat sliced cukes mixed with sliced onions and slathered with vinegar. Was my gran's favorite thing in the summer. Or for all the veggies you can't eat/give away, run them through a juicer and freeze the juice for soup stock in the winter. If you have plenty of tomatoes and don't put bell peppers in it, you've got home made V-8 juice! I just made some last night with a big zucchini, a couple stalks of celery, and a couple tomatoes - tastes just fine. Whatever pulp is left goes in the compost pile.
Kari, how did you start your compost pile? Did you have a bin or a container of some kind to start? I remember someone (I think it might have been you) post about starting one with leaves, newspapers, etc., but I wasn't sure if I needed something to put it all in to start it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma