Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times

Advertisements

redbird4848:

My boss is an english major. And she has a big red pen to prove it.

All our reports are scrutinized beyond belief. How anyone can get that much satisfaction going over reports with a fine-toothed comb is beyond me. Then she "bleeds" all over our reports. Meaning she circles, checks, and slashes away with her red pen!

Grad school is a lot more fun than undergrad. For one thing, people are there to get an education and not party. I took a few grad courses at ECU in Ada in psychology. [/quote]

LOL! Your boss sounds all too familiar. I guess it's not absolutely necessary, but it does help to be somewhat obsessive-compulsive if you're going to study English. All that tendency to want to use grammar and syntax correctly, and to phrase something you're writing in the way that will best produce the effect you're after, comes in handy. And most of us do have our really pet peeves about misuses of the language.

Hey, I'm glad to hear about grad students taking things seriously. I've been kind of looking forward to that, and hoping that's how it would turn out to be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Redbird4848:
Cali, being mean is not simply saying mean things, or treating people with contempt. There are other ways of being mean that people often refuse to acknowledge about themselves.

Sometimes making sacrifices for one's loved ones is the best way to show love. Mother's do it all the time.[/quote]

Very true. Loving is about doing.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
Holden is ok but left his home..him and Strateford get in a fight about Jane..hmm those girls just keeping causing trouble

very true redbird and im suprised that i didnt acknowledge it..i was teased alot in middle school...i got my yearbook vanidilazed with AWFUL!! MEAN!! BAD LANGUAGE! in it. i got soup poured in my backback....i was written about on the bathroom walls..i was beaten up a few times..i was called bad names n stuff...i hated middle school!
So you're really just beginning to get into the heart of the story with Catcher in the Rye. Things are going to get curiouser and curiouser, and complicateder and complicateder, for poor ol' Holden. Very interesting novel. Glad you're enjoying it.

By the way, since you like plays, I'd recommend the one I told you about above. It's good. If you find it playing somewhere and go to see it, just be prepared for the fact that it's heavy and emotionally wrenching. Good play, though, and somehow uplifiting despite the grim reality it depicts.

If those girls in middle school did all that to you, it speaks all the better for you that you were able to avoid lowering yourself to that level in return. It's bad that some kids act that way. Things do gradually improve as you get older and further along in school, and the kids start to become more mature. It's bad, though, that kids have to go through this sort of thing when they're younger. It's really something that you could resist sinking to that level yourself, but good for you. You're all right, Cali_O!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:43 PM

708 posts, read 687,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
So you're really just beginning to get into the heart of the story with Catcher in the Rye. Things are going to get curiouser and curiouser, and complicateder and complicateder, for poor ol' Holden. Very interesting novel. Glad you're enjoying it.

By the way, since you like plays, I'd recommend the one I told you about above. It's good. If you find it playing somewhere and go to see it, just be prepared for the fact that it's heavy and emotionally wrenching. Good play, though, and somehow uplifiting despite the grim reality it depicts.

If those girls in middle school did all that to you, it speaks all the better for you that you were able to avoid lowering yourself to that level in return. It's bad that some kids act that way. Things do gradually improve as you get older and further along in school, and the kids start to become more mature. It's bad, though, that kids have to go through this sort of thing when they're younger. It's really something that you could resist sinking to that level yourself, but good for you. You're all right, Cali_O!
i cant wait to get more into the novel!!

i have to go look up the play and see where its playing..i would love to see it!!

boy did i want to lower myself to do that but its bad and i can get in trouble myself. Middle school was awful and i WILL never want to repeat it!! i dont think the kids have become better but worse!! they havent grown up and there just so immature!!...haha thanks ogre!!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
i cant wait to get more into the novel!!

i have to go look up the play and see where its playing..i would love to see it!!

boy did i want to lower myself to do that but its bad and i can get in trouble myself. Middle school was awful and i WILL never want to repeat it!! i dont think the kids have become better but worse!! they havent grown up and there just so immature!!...haha thanks ogre!!
Sometimes it takes kids like that way too long to grow up. Truth is, some of them never grow up, but it does get better as you get older. I'm just sorry you've got to put up with morons like these for now. It speaks very well of you, though, that you don't stoop to their level. More power to you.

As I said before, things for Holden are going to just keep getting curiouser and curiouser, and complicateder and complicated. Glad you're finding Holden's exploits interesting.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
SeabeeBolt,,especially for you.

O lny srmat poelpe can ra ed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was
rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid,
aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in
the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can
still raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the
huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,
but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?! Yaeh
and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
SeabeeBolt,,especially for you.

O lny srmat poelpe can ra ed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was
rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid,
aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in
the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can
still raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the
huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,
but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?! Yaeh
and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
That's incredible. I had absolutely no problem reading that!!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
That's incredible. I had absolutely no problem reading that!!
That just shows how smart you are

Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Next, let's play with some words.
What do you see?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/A2.jpg (broken link)

In black you can read the word GOOD, in white the word EVIL (inside each
black letter is a white letter). It's all very physiological too, because it
visualizes the concept that good can't exist without evil (or the absence of
good is evil).

Now, what do you see?
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/A3.jpg (broken link)
You may not see it at first, but the white spaces read the word optical, the
blue landscape reads the word illusion. Look again! Can you see why this
painting is called an optical illusion?

What do you see here?
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/A4.jpg (broken link)
This one is quite tricky!
The word TEACH reflects as LEARN.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/A6.jpg (broken link)
You probably read the word ME in brown, but.......
When you look through ME you will see YOU!

Do you need to look again? Test Your Brain

This is really cool. The second one is amazing so please read all the
way though.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/A7.jpg (broken link)
ALZHEIMERS' EYE TEST
Count every ' F ' in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

(SEE BELOW)

HOW MANY ?
WRONG, THERE ARE 6 -- no joke.
READ IT AGAIN !
Really, go Back and Try to find the 6 F's before you scroll down.

The reasoning behind is further down.
The brain cannot process 'OF'.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/A8.jpg (broken link)

Incredible or what? Go back and look again!!
Anyone who counts all 6 'F's' on the first go is a genius.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 05-14-2008 at 10:38 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Honestly MK!! The next time you email me one of those, put some kind of "Do not read before Coffee" warning on it! I got a brain cramp trying to see them.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Honestly MK!! The next time you email me one of those, put some kind of "Do not read before Coffee" warning on it! I got a brain cramp trying to see them.
So your saying that you didn't pass the test?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma