Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma's Regional Identity
The South 31 46.27%
The Southwest 23 34.33%
The Midwest 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:34 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,593,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
For the few fellow Okies on here who are absolutely convinced that Oklahoma/Tulsa is the "gem" of the Midwest there is a poll over on the General Forum that you might want to look at.

The OP, not from Oklahoma, asked folks around the country if Oklahoma is most associated with the South, the Midwest, or the West. The vast majority (I think it was almost double) of folks who voted view Oklahoma as part of the South, not the Midwest. You DID manage to surpass the "West" option, however. I'm guessing Midwest would have been left in the dust just like our own poll if "Southwest" would have been an option.

I'm sorry as I know this just really break your Lil Midwestern hearts. There's still some time to go over there and vote for the Midwest.....Lord knows the Midwest needs some love!
BTW, there were several folks from the true Midwest (Wisconsin and Iowa to name a few) who posted on the thread in the General Forum. Not one of them thought Oklahoma belonged in the Midwest region with their respective states. Just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM

641 posts, read 1,084,356 times
It is a transitional state. The west is fading into the Southwest, the Southeast is Southern, Tulsa north is essentially midwestern. South of OKC might as well be Texas. Why are we trying to force a square peg into round holes? It defies simple labels, I say give up trying.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,257,019 times
If you think Tulsa isn't very similar to Kansas City, Omaha or Des Moines you are kidding yourself or haven't been there.

if you think Tulsa has much at all in common with Jackson, Memphis and Birmingham you are deluded.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:40 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,593,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
If you think Tulsa isn't very similar to Kansas City, Omaha or Des Moines you are kidding yourself or haven't been there.

if you think Tulsa has much at all in common with Jackson, Memphis and Birmingham you are deluded.
Not my problem.

Take it up with the true Midwesterners over on the General Forum, Swakester. Present your assertions how Oklahoma/Tulsa are part of the Midwest and lets just let the Native Midwesterners agree/disagree with you.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 AM

18,034 posts, read 14,050,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Not my problem.

Take it up with the true Midwesterners over on the General Forum, Swakester. Present your assertions how Oklahoma/Tulsa are part of the Midwest and lets just let the Native Midwesterners agree/disagree with you.

Good luck.
There is no denying that Tulsa has it's roots in the midwest and east as it was founded by oilmen essentially to stay across the river from the boomtowns. Sinclair, Skelly, the Phillipses, Tom Slick. All those guys were easterners and midwesterners. So Tulsa certainly has a legacy from those areas. As time has gone by, obviously the Ozark Highland "south" has encroached upon Tulsa.

It would seem to me that the answer is "both".

Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM

374 posts, read 813,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is no denying that Tulsa has it's roots in the midwest and east as it was founded by oilmen essentially to stay across the river from the boomtowns. Sinclair, Skelly, the Phillipses, Tom Slick. All those guys were easterners and midwesterners. So Tulsa certainly has a legacy from those areas. As time has gone by, obviously the Ozark Highland "south" has encroached upon Tulsa.

It would seem to me that the answer is "both".
Why do you keep fighting it. Do you realize that people in the actual midwest laugh at people in Tulsa that claim that region. People in the southern US understand that Oklahoma is culturally akin.

We, Tulsa included have nothing in common with the midwest. Nothing.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Yes we do haha

People in Georgia and Alabama likewise do not include us in the South.

Tulsa was indeed founded by midwesterners. That is why Tulsa's downtown looks like an old Indianapolis. I do business with midwesterners every day. There is zero cultural gap. This big divide is only in your heads.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,282,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Yes we do haha

Tulsa was indeed founded by midwesterners. That is why Tulsa's downtown looks like an old Indianapolis. I do business with midwesterners every day. There is zero cultural gap. This big divide is only in your heads.

I don't think too many could argue against that!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:26 PM

26,525 posts, read 47,091,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Yes we do haha

And the climate of Tulsa has nothing in common with the Midwest. Much further south in latitude and far hotter.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Not much farther south. Tulsa is a little lower in latitude than Saint Louis. We are quite a bit higher in latitude than Mobile Alabama. A warm summer day in Columbus Ohio vs a warm day in Tulsa, It ices up a few weeks earlier in Columbus than in Tulsa. I can drive between the two in a day. What difference does it really make?

Oklahoma has strong elements of the south, the midwest, Texas, and the southwest. It is difficult to define it past that statement. Sorry for the incongruity and painful cognitive dissonance. Maybe we should just have a cold beer.

Last edited by teakboat; 05-03-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma