Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma Reads Oklahoma

Has anyone spent time reading books written by Oklahoman authors or books written about Oklahoma? I just finished John Steinbeck’s book, Grapes of Wrath. What a great read. My next two books are going to be by Rilla Ashew and Letha Albright. Rilla Ashew just wrote a book called Harpsong that takes place in the depression years and is about the people that stayed in Oklahoma during the depression. Rilla Askew - Home Letha Albright wrote Bed of Stone. Bed of Stone is also a depression year book. It is a book that was written about her family but largely embellished. She said that her grandmother had a baby stolen, and in the book the mother of the baby tried to find her child. But unlike her grandmother, In the book this mother just gets out of prison and goes looking for her baby that was sold by the landlord. And in the process she begins robbing banks in order to support her search. I just purchased both of these books when they came to speak at the library yesterday. They both read excerpts of their books, and they both sounded so good. When Letha Albright writes, you can actually get a picture in your mind as to what everything looks like. She has written Tulsa Times, which I understand is wonderful.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 11-09-2007 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Old Yeller was set in Oklahoma. And the John Grisham Novel "The Innocent Man" was #1 on the NYT Best Seller List for non-fiction last year. I have to say, it doesn't paint a very good picture of the District Attorney and judicial system in my birthplace of Ada, but it is a very good read.

You might also want to read any of the S.E. Hinton books (S. E. Hinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). She's a good writer from Tulsa that has written several novels, some went on to become movies, such as The Outsiders, Tex, and Rumble Fish.

SE Hinton.com

Old 11-09-2007, 05:51 AM

BTW, what a great suggestion. I looked at the website Oklahoma Reads Oklahoma and I'm going purchase a book or two from there. What a great idea for the centennial celebration! Can't rep you right now jessaka, but would if I could!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
The Way to Rainy Mountain, by N. Scott Mommaday.

Our very own Native American Pulitzer prize winner. Very good writer describing his tribal origins in OK.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 AM

I'll give that a look too redbird. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:18 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls is a kids' book but is very enjoyable. Every school kid in Oklahoma over a certain age has read this book or has had a teacher read it to him.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM

288 posts, read 917,716 times
Child of March and Daughter of the Wind by Opal Hartsell Brown. I just finished those two last week. I LOVED them and really wish there was a third. They are biographical; the author wrote about her mother's childhood and a little of her young adulthood in Oklahoma before statehood.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
All of the books you mention sound so good.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:58 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Maybe we can get some writers here on CD forum to post a few lines of prose or poetry.

I didn't know Old Yeller was based in Oklahoma. I loved that book as a kid. The Disney version movie made that kid Travis get on my nerves, though.

I heard N. Scott Momaday do a reading in college. He is an artist with words. Brings out the imagery of long ago Oklahoma.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I'll have to read those books, all. Thanks for the suggestions.

Larry McMurtry co-wrote a book about Pretty Boy Floyd that told about life in Oklahoma and other states in the 20s and 30s. His book Texasville might as well have been set in southern Oklahoma during the 80s. It was a really funny book.

Ralph Ellison is an Oklahoma author. His most famous book is The Invisible Man. It has been a long time since I read it. I remember reading another book of his I liked better, but I can't find the info on it.

Cimarron by Edna Ferber is about settlers in Oklahoma and the land runs. It is not popular now because of the racism of the times. It is pretty accurate about the times though. She said, “Anything can have happened in Oklahoma. Practically everything has.” and "Only the more fantastic and improbable events in this book are true." Women will like this book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma