Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma's Regional Identity
The South 31 46.27%
The Southwest 23 34.33%
The Midwest 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
This guy is just trolling these threads. Lets not feed this troll.
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I think one fascinating thing about Oklahoma is that in the orginal land runs the southerners and Texans approached from the south and the midwesterners and northern plains participants came in from the north.
For instance, Norman was settled mostly by Texans in the original run while Okarche, Kingfisher and Hennessey by northerners from Kansas. The legacy of the land run exists to this day in these communities.

I would say that in my experience, most all communities south of I-40 are solidly southern with the southwest area becoming more of the ranching cowboy culture that extends into west Texas. The northern parts of Oklahoma seem to be difficult to define. East of I-35 and North of I-40 seem to be a mixed bad of southern, Native American and I would say that there is a tinge of Midwestern and Eastern among the blue bloods of Tulsa not seen elsewhere in the state. The northeast 1/8 of the state is a mixed bag of Kansas style north, native American and Ozark plateau southern. Definately different than south of I-40.

Northwest Oklahoma I consider progressively less southern as you go north and west. Alva, Woodward, Fairview and up in there is not southern at all in terms of the old time families but there is some southern culture there as well.

Then there is the panhandle which is a mix of Kansans and Texans. So old time families out there are either high plains southern (which is watered down southern) or Kansas Yankees. However, Texas and Beaver counties are probably as much latin american/hispanic as they are anything else.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think one fascinating thing about Oklahoma is that in the orginal land runs the southerners and Texans approached from the south and the midwesterners and northern plains participants came in from the north.
For instance, Norman was settled mostly by Texans in the original run while Okarche, Kingfisher and Hennessey by northerners from Kansas. The legacy of the land run exists to this day in these communities.

I would say that in my experience, most all communities south of I-40 are solidly southern with the southwest area becoming more of the ranching cowboy culture that extends into west Texas. The northern parts of Oklahoma seem to be difficult to define. East of I-35 and North of I-40 seem to be a mixed bad of southern, Native American and I would say that there is a tinge of Midwestern and Eastern among the blue bloods of Tulsa not seen elsewhere in the state. The northeast 1/8 of the state is a mixed bag of Kansas style north, native American and Ozark plateau southern. Definately different than south of I-40.

Northwest Oklahoma I consider progressively less southern as you go north and west. Alva, Woodward, Fairview and up in there is not southern at all in terms of the old time families but there is some southern culture there as well.

Then there is the panhandle which is a mix of Kansans and Texans. So old time families out there are either high plains southern (which is watered down southern) or Kansas Yankees. However, Texas and Beaver counties are probably as much latin american/hispanic as they are anything else.
That right there is a pretty darn good run down.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Dad's folks settled outside of Hennessy from the land run. They were from Missouri and Indiana with roots in Tennessee and Virginia. Mom's folks were Cherokee and Hawaiian. Trying to label Oklahoma like this is absurd, futile and a total waste of time. Just accept the fact that Oklahoma is a mix of cultures and histories that are not found in any other part of the world.

Just prior to statehood congress denied an application for the state of Sequoya and, instead, merged the Indian Nations with the lands to the west. This was for political reasons (easterners did not want two western states being added to the Union). So we have two very distinct groups forced into joining each other although they have nothing in common.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 02-03-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Again, what are you talking about?

The NFL and major pro sports in general are huge here. I know people in Tulsa with season tickets to the Chiefs, there's cowboy stuff on people everywhere. Not as much as there used to be since the Cowboys have been so poor for so long, but there's still a lot of fans here. There's a big group of Packers Backers that meet for every game in the hotel by my work, there's more and more St Louis Rams fans with Bradford being the QB. The Broncos are popular too. The baseball Cardinals are huge in Tulsa with a good number of KC and Rangers fans. Since the Drillers affiliated with the Rockies you see more and more of their stuff too.

I'm certainly not a OS or OSU fan, I went to KU and I am not alone. There are tons of KU people in Tulsa. My son plays basketball and fully 1/3 of the kids that play basketball are in some sort of KU gear during practice. Arkansas is big here too, Fayetteville is actually closer to Tulsa than Norman. And did you forget about TU?

Where do you live? I'm not sure it's actually Oklahoma.

The Tulsa market had the 5th highest ratings in the nation for the Superbowl. Higher than even Denver.

TV Ratings: Super Bowl Lowest Since 2010 But Still In Top 5

Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
After playing pond hockey today in Oklahoma I definitely wouldn't consider OK very culturally southern. Maybe in some ways but come on... if you live in a state with outdoor pond hockey that doesn't scream southern.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
After playing pond hockey today in Oklahoma I definitely wouldn't consider OK very culturally southern. Maybe in some ways but come on... if you live in a state with outdoor pond hockey that doesn't scream southern.

Hockey in Oklahoma? That's a new one....I know we have the Barons (minor league hockey here in OK City) but I personally don't know anyone who follows 'em. Also, I can honestly say I know of no one who plays hockey in Oklahoma. Of course, I'm gettin' to be an old-timer so maybe times have changed.

You have to keep in mind that this winter is extremely cold. In all my years, I can't remember this many extremely cold, icy, drab successive weeks of cruddy weather.

Also, if you want to experience the Southern culture, get outside of the metro and hangout with some folks older than 30 or so....you'll see it and feel it.

Cheers and I hope you're liking Oklahoma and its very unique blend of Southern/Southwestern culture.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Dad's folks settled outside of Hennessy from the land run. They were from Missouri and Indiana with roots in Tennessee and Virginia. Mom's folks were Cherokee and Hawaiian. Trying to label Oklahoma like this is absurd, futile and a total waste of time. Just accept the fact that Oklahoma is a mix of cultures and histories that are not found in any other part of the world.

Just prior to statehood congress denied an application for the state of Sequoya and, instead, merged the Indian Nations with the lands to the west. This was for political reasons (easterners did not want two western states being added to the Union). So we have two very distinct groups forced into joining each other although they have nothing in common.
You could say that part about any state. It's highly pronounced in New York, Florida, Texas and California. Furthermore, you could say that about any region all across the world. China and India are great examples; German Bundesländer are markedly different (Bavaria, Swabia, etc.) from other parts of Germany; the Kanto Plain, Sapporo and Okinawa are unique from each other in Japan; Russia has numerous distinctive cultural areas; Saudi Arabia has massive differences amongst Riyadh, Mecca/Jeddah, Saihat and historically tribal areas; etc.

However, there are similarities in a cluster of regions that lead to culturally-similar boundaries within countries, such as the Northeast, Midwest and South in America.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Hockey in Oklahoma? That's a new one....I know we have the Barons (minor league hockey here in OK City) but I personally don't know anyone who follows 'em. Also, I can honestly say I know of no one who plays hockey in Oklahoma. Of course, I'm gettin' to be an old-timer so maybe times have changed.

You have to keep in mind that this winter is extremely cold. In all my years, I can't remember this many extremely cold, icy, drab successive weeks of cruddy weather.

Also, if you want to experience the Southern culture, get outside of the metro and hangout with some folks older than 30 or so....you'll see it and feel it.

Cheers and I hope you're liking Oklahoma and its very unique blend of Southern/Southwestern culture.
Hockey in Oklahoma is not remotely new. My Grandfather played for the original Tulsa Oilers team in 1928 back in the old American Hockey Association that tried to compete with the then 6 team NHL. I’m thinking that was well before your time. The Tulsa Oilers are older than the Edmonton Oilers.

My grandfather also coached junior league hockey in Tulsa in the 60s and 70s. Oklahoma City has had pro teams as far back as the 30s. While my son doesn’t play hockey, he plays football, basketball and lacrosse, he has friends that play hockey. Several high schools in the Tulsa area have teams.

Tulsa's 1935 Oilers team, my grandfather is in the bottom right corner:

The Jenks-Union rivalry on ice:

Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Hockey in Oklahoma is not remotely new. My Grandfather played for the original Tulsa Oilers team in 1928 back in the old American Hockey Association that tried to compete with the then 6 team NHL. I’m thinking that was well before your time. The Tulsa Oilers are older than the Edmonton Oilers.

My grandfather also coached junior league hockey in Tulsa in the 60s and 70s. Oklahoma City has had pro teams as far back as the 30s. While my son doesn’t play hockey, he plays football, basketball and lacrosse, he has friends that play hockey. Several high schools in the Tulsa area have teams.

Tulsa's 1935 Oilers team, my grandfather is in the bottom right corner:

The Jenks-Union rivalry on ice:
Ah, learn something new everyday. I had no idea. That's pretty neat. I bet he was a tough ol' son-of-a-gun.

Still, even if hockey is a growing in popularity here, it is still way down on the sports hierarchy. As you well know, in Oklahoma it's always been football, baseball, then basketball....as it should be. Wrestling, track, and soccer would be the next level down. Then you get into the more recreational sports that are growing in popularity with kids who may not be interested in the Big 3 or the other semi-popular sports.

When I lived in New England, they lived and breathed hockey. For many, it was on the same level as football or baseball. Obviously, not so here; I'm sure the semi-Sunbeltish weather has something to do with that as well as the great success of college football in our state. But, nothing wrong with some extracurriculars to keep the kiddos out of trouble. I'm all for it. The one "sport" I do not want to catch on is male-cheerleading. Personally, that one does nothing for me.

Thanks for the neat pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma