Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma's Regional Identity
The South 31 46.27%
The Southwest 23 34.33%
The Midwest 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,353 times

Advertisements

I was just surprised that the ponds freeze over here in Oklahoma enough to skate on and play a game of pond hockey- it's awesome!! I can't wait to go again this weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
I thought I would dig this poll up for some of our friends convinced that Oklahoma is the "gem" of the Midwest.

Numbers don't lie. Be careful with the facts though. They might lead to reassessment of one's position if actually taken at face value.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I thought I would dig this poll up for some of our friends convinced that Oklahoma is the "gem" of the Midwest.

Numbers don't lie. Be careful with the facts though. They might lead to reassessment of one's position if actually taken at face value.
I think there are only two people on here who really care if Oklahoma is a Southern, Southwestern, Midwestern, or even Middle Eastern. I have always felt like eastern Oklahoma is South, but there is no way I feel like western Oklahoma has anything in common with the south. There have even been a few on here try to tell us that the plains barely cover portions of Oklahoma. People can believe what they want, but for your sake don't get crazy if someone doesn't think we are the South.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I was just surprised that the ponds freeze over here in Oklahoma enough to skate on and play a game of pond hockey- it's awesome!! I can't wait to go again this weekend
When I was in high school, some of us went out and skated (in our shoes) on a frozen pond. I guess I should say we slid around. At a certain point, we heard a crack and got off of it fast.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I think there are only two people on here who really care if Oklahoma is a Southern, Southwestern, Midwestern, or even Middle Eastern. I have always felt like eastern Oklahoma is South, but there is no way I feel like western Oklahoma has anything in common with the south. There have even been a few on here try to tell us that the plains barely cover portions of Oklahoma. People can believe what they want, but for your sake don't get crazy if someone doesn't think we are the South.
Middle Eastern sounds 'bout right....kinda like Midwest.

Just ribbin', have a good day!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When I was in high school, some of us went out and skated (in our shoes) on a frozen pond. I guess I should say we slid around. At a certain point, we heard a crack and got off of it fast.
I saw several frozen ponds around OK City from December through February. Even that winter storm we had the first week of March was a doozy!

So glad it's over....wait, now it's Tornado Season. Ahhggggg.....

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 AM

374 posts, read 807,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy11 View Post
Politically, Arizona and Oklahoma are both conservative. Oklahoma does have a small desert, but it's not as arid as New Mexico and Arizona. But geographically, it is in the southwest.
No, Arizona is a libertarian state. They focus on fiscal conservatism and social liberalism. They are a catholic state and we are a Bible Belt protestant state.

Have you ever been to AZ? Does this look like any place in Oklahoma that you know of?

Arizona has more in common with Southern California. It is nothing like Oklahoma.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 PM

69 posts, read 128,428 times
Gloss Mountains:

Little Sahara State Park:

Black Mesa:

Aerial view of Black Mesa (looks kind of cool):

Oklahoma may not be as dry as Arizona and New Mexico, but still has a desert.

The western part of the state has the lowest humidity and the annual rainfall is anywhere from 17-20 inches, sometimes less. Cities in western Oklahoma like Boise City, Sayre, Guymon, Kenton, and Woodward have semi-arid climates. There's no denying this state is southern (mostly in culture), but it's also southwestern.

Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee and other southern states of us don't have these features. However, Texas also has a lot of desert.

Southwestern state.

Last edited by artsy11; 04-29-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Artsy, you've contributed immensely to this discussion. Thank you. There are some I know who will be interested in visiting these sites you've shown.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

For the few fellow Okies on here who are absolutely convinced that Oklahoma/Tulsa is the "gem" of the Midwest there is a poll over on the General Forum that you might want to look at.

The OP, not from Oklahoma, asked folks around the country if Oklahoma is most associated with the South, the Midwest, or the West. The vast majority (I think it was almost double) of folks who voted view Oklahoma as part of the South, not the Midwest. You DID manage to surpass the "West" option, however. I'm guessing Midwest would have been left in the dust just like our own poll if "Southwest" would have been an option.

I'm sorry as I know this just really break your Lil Midwestern hearts. There's still some time to go over there and vote for the Midwest.....Lord knows the Midwest needs some love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma