Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 34,456 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to NW OKC at the end of this week from Tulsa. I've grown up in Tulsa, and I'm familiar with all the places to avoid due to crime and safety issues. I have no idea what areas of OKC are considered safe, though I've been told the further I get from the center of the city, the better--which makes sense. The complex I'm moving into is gated, which I know isn't a complete deterrent from crime, but according to what research I've done, crime does not seem to happen in this complex. I want to eventually move to Moore as it's much closer to where I'll be working, but the complex I wanted down there has a waiting list until this summer. Must be a good complex.

Anyway, for someone who knows nothing about the "big city," can anyone tell me what areas of OKC a single female should avoid, particularly at night--and especially which areas of NW OKC should be avoided?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
How far are north and west are we talking about?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Kind of in the northern part of Warr Acres.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
North of NW Expressway is pretty good. South of NW Expressway and N of NW 39th is marginal. It can be good but there are also places to avoid. Avoid anything south of 39th St. unless you are looking at living in one of the up-and-coming inner-city neighborhoods.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelights View Post
I will be moving to NW OKC at the end of this week from Tulsa. I've grown up in Tulsa, and I'm familiar with all the places to avoid due to crime and safety issues. I have no idea what areas of OKC are considered safe, though I've been told the further I get from the center of the city, the better--which makes sense. The complex I'm moving into is gated, which I know isn't a complete deterrent from crime, but according to what research I've done, crime does not seem to happen in this complex. I want to eventually move to Moore as it's much closer to where I'll be working, but the complex I wanted down there has a waiting list until this summer. Must be a good complex.

Anyway, for someone who knows nothing about the "big city," can anyone tell me what areas of OKC a single female should avoid, particularly at night--and especially which areas of NW OKC should be avoided?

Thanks!!!
Hmmm....Warr Acres you said? Do you happen to know the name of the apartment complex? I could probably give you a better answer if I know the address.

I wouldn't be so quick to say, "the further from the city the better" because this city is such a patchwork. I live in a very safe area and I am a 1/2 mile north of downtown. OTOH one of the worst areas from crime is the Rockwell and Wilshire area, largely due to all of the craptastic 70's era apartments clustered around Lyrewood Lane. And ironically some of the gated apts are the worst. In that same vein, Warr Acres is kinda hit or miss. If you would have said you were renting a SFH in a neighborhood I would say you would be fine.

As far as areas to avoid, see my last post about OKC being a patchwork. Areas I would stay clear of is the 1 mile radius around Hefner and Western and the areas immediately NE (on the east side of Lincoln) and SW (as in South of the river) of downtown. There are other areas besides that but they are not bad or large enough to warrant a mention.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Soonerfan is right again. OKC is a real patchwork of neighborhoods. There are areas around downtown that are quite nice, while some of the stuff further out can be sketchy at best. OKC is one of those towns where you can be in a beautiful neighborhood of large homes and just a couple of blocks away, it can be kinda creepy. People seem to have the impression that the north and west sides of town is all nice, and that can be far from the truth.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Hmmm....Warr Acres you said? Do you happen to know the name of the apartment complex? I could probably give you a better answer if I know the address.

I wouldn't be so quick to say, "the further from the city the better" because this city is such a patchwork. I live in a very safe area and I am a 1/2 mile north of downtown. OTOH one of the worst areas from crime is the Rockwell and Wilshire area, largely due to all of the craptastic 70's era apartments clustered around Lyrewood Lane. And ironically some of the gated apts are the worst. In that same vein, Warr Acres is kinda hit or miss. If you would have said you were renting a SFH in a neighborhood I would say you would be fine.

As far as areas to avoid, see my last post about OKC being a patchwork. Areas I would stay clear of is the 1 mile radius around Hefner and Western and the areas immediately NE (on the east side of Lincoln) and SW (as in South of the river) of downtown. There are other areas besides that but they are not bad or large enough to warrant a mention.
I'd heard about Lyrewood Lane not being so great, but the apartments right to the east of it (Isola Bella and Chevy Chase, I believe) showed little to no crime happening within the complexes in the last year. According to reviews I've read, as far as Isola Bella is concerned, as long as you manage to get an apartment not along Lyrewood Lane, it's pretty safe. I'd much rather live in Moore as that's where I'll be working, but my budget (no more than $600) is a bit limiting for the decent apartments in that area that actually have availabilities (and allow pets).

That said, I have really been leaning toward Isola Bella. From what I've found, people either love it and highly recommend it or they hate it. It seems to be that way with most apartment complexes, even out here in Tulsa.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM

778 posts, read 2,322,243 times
Quote:
That said, I have really been leaning toward Isola Bella. From what I've found, people either love it and highly recommend it or they hate it. It seems to be that way with most apartment complexes, even out here in Tulsa.
Isola Bella is actually one of the better ones. The FAA puts a lot of their students in that complex so it is usually very secure. Don't know how the interior is but safety-wise you should be alright.

Welcome to OKC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Soonerfan is right again.
Careful debzkidz, you might boost might already huge ego

Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Isola Bella is actually one of the better ones. The FAA puts a lot of their students in that complex so it is usually very secure. Don't know how the interior is but safety-wise you should be alright.

Welcome to OKC!

Thanks!! You've just made me feel soooo much better about my choice!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Thanks!! You've just made me feel soooo much better about my choice!
If you are working in Moore I would look at Norman as they are pretty much the same place any"moore."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City