Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,707,777 times

Advertisements

What a major disappointment!!! About 1/2 of the OKC metro population is obese. You'd think this store would cater to people that NEED to eat healthy. The prices are so high that poor, obese people in OKC can't afford to shop there. Nothing but corporate greed being practiced in that business. I'm guessing that's why they built it so close to Nichols Hills. Cause that's where all the rich people live. Sad, sad, sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,185 times
Whole Foods brands itself as an "upscale" store, and thus marks up the prices. There were several in town where I came from before moving here, all of which were in pricier neighborhoods.

On a side note, I'm at the extreme lower-end of what is considered a healthy weight as a male of my height and age. If I lost 10 lbs. I would be underweight. I would go grocery shopping at a regular store and-- provided I didn't need spices, toiletries, cleaners, etc. and only bought food-- my grocery bill was always around $30 per week, and though I'm pretty light I didn't go hungry.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people don't want to even try to eat healthy foods, or don't know how to cook it.

Last edited by dvxhd; 01-26-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,773,473 times
I love the new Whole Foods, but it is pricy. I don't shop there all the time, but it isn't close to me either. I do go occasionally, if I'm in that part of town. They are known everywhere for being upscale, that's why they are called Whole Paycheck by lots of people. Feeding the masses is not their niche. There are however, plenty of other options for eating healthy in OKC without having to go there. The new Sunflower Market, offers the same things as Whole Foods at better prices. People can eat healthy at Walmart if they choose to. They offer plenty of healthy foods like fruits and veggies. No one makes obese people put those cookies in their carts, they could buy apples instead. I shop a Walmart all the time, and I rarely even walk down the isles with the chips or the cookies.

And, obese does not equal poor. There are plenty of wealthy people with a weight problem. Also, there's plenty of fattening stuff at Whole Foods. Did you notice their amazing bakery, or fresh pizza, cheese counter, the pans of take and bake mac and cheese? All very fattening, just all natural.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM

778 posts, read 2,324,724 times
Truthfully in today's society it is much cheaper to feed a family off a pack of hot dogs and fast food over fruits and salad.

But to be frank that's not Whole Food's problem, and your rant is quite misplaced. Would you blast Nordstrom's or Saks for not making clothes for poor people? There are plenty of healthy options at cheaper places like Crest, Buy for Less, etc. A person just needs to budget and be disciplined enough to follow through.

For what its worth the largest concetrations of $100K+ households are in the 73034 (Edmond) and 73170 (SW OKC) zip codes, not Nichols Hills.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,761,941 times
I imagine all the poor people will also miss out on Anthropologie, On the Whim, Balliets etc. along w not being able to eat at Republic, Matthew Kenney, work out at the Red Coyote or get their face shaved at Carwins Shave Shop. They also will not be able to attend meetings at Chesapeake, bc they dont work there and will not have a fancy house in NH with a country club membership. A complete and total outrage.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,222,822 times
you guys are just now getting a whole foods. man you guys are late!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,761,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Exactly, who in their right mind would ***** about this development?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,773,473 times
Quote:
I would say Whole Foods is late, not us. We've been wanting and begging for one for years. OKC seems to just now getting noticed by some national retailers.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,185 times
Quote:
Tell me about it...

Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM

653 posts, read 1,788,678 times
[quote=debzkidz;22730289]I love the new Whole Foods, but it is pricy. I don't shop there all the time, but it isn't close to me either. I do go occasionally, if I'm in that part of town. They are known everywhere for being upscale, that's why they are called Whole Paycheck by lots of people. Feeding the masses is not their niche. There are however, plenty of other options for eating healthy in OKC without having to go there. The new Sunflower Market, offers the same things as Whole Foods at better prices. People can eat healthy at Walmart if they choose to. They offer plenty of healthy foods like fruits and veggies... <snipped>

Buy for Less is one of the more affordable stores for natural and organic products. The store on NW Expressway and Portland is the flagship store for this as they have supposedly over 2500 products that are organic or naturally made. Also debzkidz, I'm sure your aware of the Uptown Market that is coming to the northside of Edmond. I think it's on Danforth (??) that will be opening in the spring. I hear that will be a big source for healthy foods and products. As for Whole foods, I'm glad it's here.. long overdue, I can't afford to shop there much but I LOVE their salad and food bar.. big time yummie stuff

However, according to sources I heard and I emphatically will say this is only here say.. that what Chesapeake did to get Whole Foods in there was way less than ethical and how they forced Crescent Foods out after almost 90 years near that location had me infuriated. I don't want to promote any unfounded rumours here on CD, but have you heard similar stories?? If not my apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City