Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,767,984 times

Advertisements

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is in love with KC? I'm certainly not. When we were there a couple of years ago I was not impressed. I much prefer OKC. I'm not a native Okie, and have only been here a few years, so I'm not speaking as a biased native. I've got a niece who's living in KC now, and can't stand it. She and her hubby have to live there another year or two, then they are looking for somewhere else to live, and OKC is on their short list, along with Tulsa and the DFW area among a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is in love with KC? I'm certainly not. When we were there a couple of years ago I was not impressed. I much prefer OKC. I'm not a native Okie, and have only been here a few years, so I'm not speaking as a biased native. I've got a niece who's living in KC now, and can't stand it. She and her hubby have to live there another year or two, then they are looking for somewhere else to live, and OKC is on their short list, along with Tulsa and the DFW area among a few others.
I realize that. First off, I don't want to move to KC either. I'm only stating the differences. People tend to group okc and kc together when they are actually very different cities. KC is very urban and has a lot more to do compared to OKC. I find KC a bit on the small side and don't care for its isolation so you can imagine what I'm dealing with when it comes to OKC.

I prefer KC over OKC. That's just my preference. I like urban areas. I love the DC area. If I were to live in the midwest, I would prefer KC, StL, MSP, Chicago etc.

I'm okay with the west coast. The south is just not my thing and OKC is more southern than midwestern. While Dallas and Houston are much larger and have more to do, I don't really even care for those cities that much.

Everybody has their interests and likes. It's nothing personal.

So I'm trying to see if there is a slice of OKC that will work for me and where we can be happy and enjoy OKC for what it is and what it offers. It's no chicago, it's not even a kc and alot of people like OKC for that very reason.

I'm sure there are people in okc that could not imagine living in DC or Chicago or St Louis or even Denver.

Thanks for your posts so for though. You have been very helpful.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,767,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I realize that. First off, I don't want to move to KC either. I'm only stating the differences. People tend to group okc and kc together when they are actually very different cities. KC is very urban and has a lot more to do compared to OKC. I find KC a bit on the small side and don't care for its isolation so you can imagine what I'm dealing with when it comes to OKC.

I prefer KC over OKC. That's just my preference. I like urban areas. I love the DC area. If I were to live in the midwest, I would prefer KC, StL, MSP, Chicago etc.

I'm okay with the west coast. The south is just not my thing and OKC is more southern than midwestern. While Dallas and Houston are much larger and have more to do, I don't really even care for those cities that much.

Everybody has their interests and likes. It's nothing personal.

So I'm trying to see if there is a slice of OKC that will work for me and where we can be happy and enjoy OKC for what it is and what it offers. It's no chicago, it's not even a kc and alot of people like OKC for that very reason.

I'm sure there are people in okc that could not imagine living in DC or Chicago or St Louis or even Denver.

Thanks for your posts so for though. You have been very helpful.
That would definitely be me. Our oldest did an internship in DC last year. We'd visited on vacations before and liked it okay, but we went and spent a week with him last year. There's no way I would ever want to live in that place. Too many people, crammed way too close together for comfort. Just going anywhere was such a hassle. Even as a young person, our son enjoyed it for a while, but it got old really quick and he was ready to get out after just one semester.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
OKC is a pretty decent place NOW. It is growing and changing, but transforming into something people SHOULD be proud of? and your example of "something to be proud of" is a bunch of tenements and highrise and crowded lots and people on top of each other? and mile after mile of bland, brick crap interspersed with a little creativity (yeah, sometimes someone daring stood the brick vertically instead of horizontally).......gag me. Thanks but no thanks. If OKC EVER looks like KC I'll quit going there.
You are 100% right goodpasture OKC will never look anything like KCMO and the ( Lou ) and for that matter Houston and Dallas comes to mind also (all of these cities) which are local large Major Metro area to OKC and Tulsa OK. doesn't have that OKC flair and vibe , but OKC is what it says it is everyone can take a look at what OKC is going to be and look like (" by viewing the Core To Shore Renderings ")....and I Like those better than KCMO and the Lou..for everybody not from this area Oklahoma City the Lou is St. Louis MO.

Oklahoma City's "Core to Shore" - by Skyline Ink on Vimeo

Oklahoma City: Core To Shore Resources

Tour of Oklahoma City with the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne! on Vimeo

State of Creativity: OKC Core to Shore on Vimeo

Last edited by Howest2008; 07-24-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
.............for everybody not from this area Oklahoma City the Lou is St. Louis MO.
And the loo in England is where you take a crap..........not all that much different after all..........

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
And the loo in England is where you take a crap..........not all that much different after all..........
I would say something real funny , but the MOD's have already had me (" BANNED ") for about two weeks lately so my lips are sealed...The MOD's are coming the MOD's are coming..The British are coming the British are coming...The Redcoats are coming the Redcoats are coming...The MOD's are coming

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You are 100% right goodpasture OKC will never look anything like KCMO and the ( Lou ) and for that matter Houston and Dallas comes to mind also (all of these cities) which are local large Major Metro area to OKC and Tulsa OK. doesn't have that OKC flair and vibe , but OKC is what it says it is everyone can take a look at what OKC is going to be and look like (" by viewing the Core To Shore Renderings ")....and I Like those better than KCMO and the Lou..for everybody not from this area Oklahoma City the Lou is St. Louis MO.
I agree with most of what you say howest, but wow, that is one messed up and difficult to read sentence!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
That would definitely be me. Our oldest did an internship in DC last year. We'd visited on vacations before and liked it okay, but we went and spent a week with him last year. There's no way I would ever want to live in that place. Too many people, crammed way too close together for comfort. Just going anywhere was such a hassle. Even as a young person, our son enjoyed it for a while, but it got old really quick and he was ready to get out after just one semester.
Yea, I'm just the opposite. Is there such a thing as having a fear of too much space? I want things and people around me.

DC is not that crowded in my opinion. Just expensive, which causes many to live in the suburbs and deal with major commutes.

Last edited by kcmo; 07-25-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree with most of what you say howest, but wow, that is one messed up and difficult to read sentence!
I agree that sentence was messed up , and hard to understand..following my train of thought is a Train Wreak sometimes...LOL

P.S. My wife is a on-line Ashford University Student and I proof read all of her assignments , well I have to really focus in on the english structure and grammar rules , and it take a lot of time , however here on city-data and also skyscrapercity (" I just let it rip ") and if somebody get it or not " well that's just life. I'm dealing with a lot of health problems that my wife has and I'm not sweating the small details.

Last edited by Howest2008; 07-25-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 PM

debzkids, I thought you would like this thread in the DC forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...e-anymore.html

While I like DC for the most part, I actually agree with a lot of it what people are saying and think OKC would be a nice change at least till I can move to Denver or the PA NW where I really want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City