Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,006,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
........ what do you think about OKC building a nfl ready football stadium
Really bad idea. It would be a waste of time and money. Should put that much money into a mass transit system, bike trails and community parks. Improve the quality of life for the citizens, not build an edifice for millionaires that is never (in a reasonable economic life expectancy) going to pay for itself and will require supplemental tax revenue just to maintain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,195,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
well a nfl stadium won't work in kansas city missouri right on the river , so let me float this balloon by OKC supporters what do you think about OKC building a nfl ready football stadium right on the oklahoma river. the stadium could be built in the shape of a horseshoe with the open end of the horseshoe constructed with transparent glass so the fans can see the river. i think that it would be a hoot if the ceiling was transparent also with 90% of the fans surrounding the football field on three sides - 10% of the fans seated on the transparent glass end of the football stadium. OKC could have both OU and OSU play about 5 or 6 home games in the stadium a year until a nfl team moved in as main tenant sometime around 2015 t0 2020.

San Francisco has already built a MLB Park On The Bay and is going to build a NBA Arena on the water

San Francisco future NBA arena
They would be lucky to get one game from either team. Arkansas plays one or two games a year in Little Rock. I know Jerry world has attracted a few games as well. Most teams don't move their home games very often. However I don't see the appeal for OU to drive 25 mts north and OSU to drive and hour south. They aren't really gaining recruiting in OKC like they would in Dallas. OU could likely lose money on ticket sales because most NFL type stadiums would be smaller than Memorial Stadium. If OU were to move a game away from Norman to keep it in state, Tulsa would make more sense. Jerry world is more likely for both schools. It would be cool for OKC but I don't see them convincing the schools to move 25-50% of their home games away. That also hurts local business and thats something OSU and the city of Stillwater bank on.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,613,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Really bad idea. It would be a waste of time and money. Should put that much money into a mass transit system, bike trails and community parks. Improve the quality of life for the citizens, not build an edifice for millionaires that is never (in a reasonable economic life expectancy) going to pay for itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
and will require supplemental tax revenue just to maintain it.
You put a whole lot of issues on the table that need to be worked out (1.) mass transit was covered by the maps 3 measures (2.) bike trails are something that I would love to see in both okc and tulsa (3.) community parks are covered in the core to shore measure. (4.) building ediffices for billionaires is exactly what studiums and arena for MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL and second tier stadiums for MLS are all about, but they put cities like okc and tulsa oklahoma on the map such as the case with okc and the okc thunder.

I think that they are going to make that move sometime before 2020 , and i just wanted to kich the though around a little bit and see what people thought about it..(???) It would be premature to over step what okc should and can do , but i'm just doing a little bit of day dreaming.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
They would be lucky to get one game from either team. Arkansas plays one or two games a year in Little Rock. I know Jerry world has attracted a few games as well. Most teams don't move their home games very often. However I don't see the appeal for OU to drive 25 mts north and OSU to drive and hour south. They aren't really gaining recruiting in OKC like they would in Dallas. OU could likely lose money on ticket sales because most NFL type stadiums would be smaller than Memorial Stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
If OU were to move a game away from Norman to keep it in state, Tulsa would make more sense. Jerry world is more likely for both schools. It would be cool for OKC but I don't see them convincing the schools to move 25-50% of their home games away. That also hurts local business and thats something OSU and the city of Stillwater bank on.

You know so much more than I do about the local situation i'm glad that you weighted in on the discussion knrstz , maybe arkansas , tulsa university , wichita state , osu , ou and a university from kansas and missouri could play only one game a year there , but we have to have cash flow for the stadium prior to a nfl team coming to okc.

the nfl stadium would have to hold about 80,000 bare bones minimum and you may have to charge a little more at the gate. Great response knrstz

Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 8,582 times
I'll add some fuel to this flame war. I've lived in KCMO, KCKS, OKC, and Tulsa. I think OKC is kind of a piece of **** compared to KC.

I was 10 years old when I lived in KC in 1995. I used to walk by myself from State Line Rd. to the Plaza to go to the toy store down there. I'd go around the corner to McDonalds to grab a hamburger, then walk around the plaza looking in through windows. I'd spend hours at night at the park by myself. I was never raped, robbed, or kidnapped. There were places to go and things to see. Trees and hills make things look interesting.

OKC, like every other town in Oklahoma, is a loose collection of strip malls, restaurants, and a few office buildings in the middle. The only thing to do at Bricktown is eat and get **** faced. Most of the people in Oklahoma have never lived or gone anywhere other than Oklahoma, so they just don't really get it. The biggest problem with OKC (and Tulsa) is that you have to drive everywhere. Other than Bricktown at night, you wont really see people walking around. The way the city is laid out, it would take hours to walk anywhere useful from your home, and public transportation is basically non-existent. Without people walking around and doing things, it makes the city look very boring and dead. To most people here though, that's perfectly fine. The majority of Oklahomans are redneck fat asses that froth at the mouth over college football. They don't want to get out and do anything unless it's sitting at the drive-through at McDonalds or drinking ****ty low point beers at a tailgate party.

Tulsa...

Tulsa looks a place that a group of people pumped a bunch of money into, then gave up and abandoned 30 years ago. There are some nice looking neighborhoods, but in general buildings and roads are falling apart everywhere. Highway construction seems to be on pause for years. There's trash all along the sides of roads and no one trims the weeds, even outside of the supposed premier shopping mall. It's unbelievable. There's hardly a city center. What constitutes as a downtown pretty much has **** all to do. The one good thing about Tulsa is the system of highways and byways, which you will be using liberally as you spend hours driving from one side of the city to the other and back just to ****ing do anything. Just make sure your car has a good suspension for when you get back on to city streets, or you'll be pissing blood.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,276,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBouleOfFools View Post
I'll add some fuel to this flame war. I've lived in KCMO, KCKS, OKC, and Tulsa. I think OKC is kind of a piece of **** compared to KC.

I was 10 years old when I lived in KC in 1995. I used to walk by myself from State Line Rd. to the Plaza to go to the toy store down there. I'd go around the corner to McDonalds to grab a hamburger, then walk around the plaza looking in through windows. I'd spend hours at night at the park by myself. I was never raped, robbed, or kidnapped. There were places to go and things to see. Trees and hills make things look interesting.

OKC, like every other town in Oklahoma, is a loose collection of strip malls, restaurants, and a few office buildings in the middle. The only thing to do at Bricktown is eat and get **** faced. Most of the people in Oklahoma have never lived or gone anywhere other than Oklahoma, so they just don't really get it. The biggest problem with OKC (and Tulsa) is that you have to drive everywhere. Other than Bricktown at night, you wont really see people walking around. The way the city is laid out, it would take hours to walk anywhere useful from your home, and public transportation is basically non-existent. Without people walking around and doing things, it makes the city look very boring and dead. To most people here though, that's perfectly fine. The majority of Oklahomans are redneck fat asses that froth at the mouth over college football. They don't want to get out and do anything unless it's sitting at the drive-through at McDonalds or drinking ****ty low point beers at a tailgate party.

Tulsa...

Tulsa looks a place that a group of people pumped a bunch of money into, then gave up and abandoned 30 years ago. There are some nice looking neighborhoods, but in general buildings and roads are falling apart everywhere. Highway construction seems to be on pause for years. There's trash all along the sides of roads and no one trims the weeds, even outside of the supposed premier shopping mall. It's unbelievable. There's hardly a city center. What constitutes as a downtown pretty much has **** all to do. The one good thing about Tulsa is the system of highways and byways, which you will be using liberally as you spend hours driving from one side of the city to the other and back just to ****ing do anything. Just make sure your car has a good suspension for when you get back on to city streets, or you'll be pissing blood.
OKC has historically been dismal for a city its size but its been improving in the past decade. It still has a long way to go but today's OKC isn't the OKC of 10 years ago. Today's is at least tolerable and I think around 20% of the population of the city is transplants. There may not be light rail but you should try going to neighborhoods such as the Paseo, Midtown, the Plaza, etc. There is more of a hipster crowd in OKC than you would expect, though I will admit its probably small compared to other cities. There are advantages to OKC though, most notably the economy.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Kansas City MO to break ground spring 2013 on theirs streetcar project thus beating OKC to the punch.
MARC approves nearly $18M for Kansas City streetcar project - Kansas City Business Journal

Old 04-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Tulsa And OKC Makes A Move On Development Of Theirs New Transit Systems

Tulsa And OKC Makes A Move On Development Of Theirs New Transit Systems , Tulsa Oklahoma
(BRT) Bus Rapid Transit will start construction phase in 2013 and be operational by 2015.
http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/07/31...ral-brt-bucks/
http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/C...id=oid%3A57053
https://www.google.com/search?q=tuls...w=1366&bih=663

Tulsa Traffic Circle Near Completion
http://www.ktul.com/story/19957710/d...ircle-now-open
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...9_cutlin443339
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgaoqbv1hPo

Oklahoma City Oklahoma streetcars should be operational in 2020 see below

Last edited by Howest2008; 04-20-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 PM

374 posts, read 808,411 times
One City is in the Midwest, One city is just inside the southern lip. I don't care what anyone up in Kansas says or thinks. Okie BBQ is just better in so many ways.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM

26,437 posts, read 46,690,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
One City is in the Midwest, One city is just inside the southern lip. I don't care what anyone up in Kansas says or thinks. Okie BBQ is just better in so many ways.
The problem with Kansas is that is becoming too infused with southern influences, particularly Texas and Sunbelt transplants to the Kansas City region. The state in many ways is becoming somewhat less like the Midwest with time.
I don't understand the obsession with Barbecue and I am originally from the Kansas City region. Way too much fat and grease for my liking. I ate it occasionally, but didn't get the crazed tailgaters and meat grilling events... It must be why I am mostly a vegetarian now as I don't consume much meat period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City