Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,951,963 times

Advertisements

Downtown is better now since they built this:

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM

641 posts, read 1,076,358 times
Yeah, but it moves along. Same as Tulsa.. the traffic is there but it usually moves along without too much delay.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM

991 posts, read 1,112,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Have you been on this? (435 beltway)
Hah! I take this road every day. Really very little traffic problems though...it only takes me about 45 minutes to get to work. In Los Angeles it used to take me much, much longer to go about the same distance between office and apartment. My girlfriend is from Chicago and I know the traffic there is absolutely awful. One of the reasons we love KC is that there is virtually no traffic!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,201 times
Hey, I'm the editor of the aforementioned OKC.NET- Oklahoma City Now and Forever - | OKC.NET- Oklahoma City Now and Forever | . I personally love KC. I very nearly went to art school there, but was offered more scholarship money elsewhere. The Plaza is very nearly my favorite district of it's kind in the country, and my DC friends were just as skeptical of the merits of Kansas City as they were of OKC.

Two of them came to my wedding and stayed.

Something is happening here in OKC, that is true, but something is also happening in KC and Tulsa and Omaha and Austin and Fort Worth. The banking industry in the middle of the country, having been destroyed in the 1980s oil bust, had a more robust regulatory environment when the housing bubble came about, leaving us more or less unscathed. And certainly not to dance on their graves, but the old conservative city fathers have mostly died off. That has made this an ideal moment for new ideas and new leaders to emerge. This isn't a battle between OKC and KC; we are both winners in the current economic climate. KC has a head-start, that's true, but we're catching up. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years the current modest ribbon of cool that exists on I-35 has blossomed into something really remarkable that rivals the east and west coast megalopoli. Is that the plural of megalopolis? I actually have no idea. In any case, this infighting is counterproductive. I have always thought that the Tulsa-OKC sniping is stupid. The rest of the country doesn't care which is better. They think we all suck equally.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,951,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Hah! I take this road every day. Really very little traffic problems though...it only takes me about 45 minutes to get to work. In Los Angeles it used to take me much, much longer to go about the same distance between office and apartment. My girlfriend is from Chicago and I know the traffic there is absolutely awful. One of the reasons we love KC is that there is virtually no traffic!
It's all relative. People in OKC think KC traffic is bad, but that just means that OKC really doesn't have any traffic. Even in that photo, that traffic is moving and the actual delay is probably less than ten minutes.

But driving around KC does feel different than OKC. The highways seem wider and have more volume in the KC area than in OKC from my experience.

But it would be nice to have not have any traffic what so ever.

Chicago and LA are both worse than DC in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM

431 posts, read 1,243,546 times
That bridge is nice, where in KC is it? Paseo?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,528,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkCityPartisan View Post
Hey, I'm the editor of the aforementioned OKC.NET- Oklahoma City Now and Forever - | OKC.NET- Oklahoma City Now and Forever | . I personally love KC. I very nearly went to art school there, but was offered more scholarship money elsewhere. The Plaza is very nearly my favorite district of it's kind in the country, and my DC friends were just as skeptical of the merits of Kansas City as they were of OKC.

Two of them came to my wedding and stayed.

Something is happening here in OKC, that is true, but something is also happening in KC and Tulsa and Omaha and Austin and Fort Worth. The banking industry in the middle of the country, having been destroyed in the 1980s oil bust, had a more robust regulatory environment when the housing bubble came about, leaving us more or less unscathed. And certainly not to dance on their graves, but the old conservative city fathers have mostly died off. That has made this an ideal moment for new ideas and new leaders to emerge. This isn't a battle between OKC and KC; we are both winners in the current economic climate. KC has a head-start, that's true, but we're catching up. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years the current modest ribbon of cool that exists on I-35 has blossomed into something really remarkable that rivals the east and west coast megalopoli. Is that the plural of megalopolis? I actually have no idea. In any case, this infighting is counterproductive. I have always thought that the Tulsa-OKC sniping is stupid. The rest of the country doesn't care which is better. They think we all suck equally.
>>>>>
I have always thought that the Tulsa-OKC sniping is stupid.
<<<<<

So true.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 AM

471 posts, read 828,123 times
KC traffic is bad because the roads are poorly designed. They hinder rather than facilitate the movement of traffic. The roads are too narrow with too many curves and ramps that are too short to efficiently and safely merge. Plus people are rude and the majority will not allow you to merge.

In OKC you can drive, and the on ramps are long enough to gather enough speed to safely merge and the people are civilized and will allow you in, they will signal when they turn or change lanes, and they don't drive 10 MPH under the speed limit in the passing lane.

KC drivers are retards. In fact, Midwestern drivers are retards. The only things worse than Missouri divers are Nebraska drivers, Iowa drivers, and Kansas drivers.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 AM

991 posts, read 1,112,815 times
I just don't see it. I drive in KC traffic every day for 5 years now and have never once been stuck in a standstill for any unreasonable amount of time. There will be people on the roads, that's for sure (it is a big metro); however, it most often moving traffic. Yeah the triangle (435/470/71 interchange) sucks sometimes but I have never been stuck for more than 10 minutes in it. I can't say the same for Los Angeles, where you had to bring your appetizer in the car because it took two hours to get to a restaurant.

Also, I never understand the "drivers are bad in X place argument". It's subjective and statistically unsound. I went to college in Boston and everyone says the drivers there were bad - I never found that to be true. I was in Florida for a few weeks this year for work and everyone warned me about Florida drivers;again, I did not notice any significant bad driving habits that were not used elsewhere. My dad lives in Manhattan and sure taxi drivers drive fast in heavy traffic, but I wouldn't say they are bad drivers - they just are used to driving in bumper-to-bumper street traffic.

I am not talking about OKC (which I have driven through and stopped in for a while), but if you want a place with no traffic you will live in a place with very few people. That's fine, but it requires some sacrifices. I am sure even OKC has SOME traffic.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 AM

471 posts, read 828,123 times
OKC ha a lot of traffic. But it flows smoothly, at a high rate of speed. In KC the retards stack up in the passing lanes and putz along so that traffic can't pass on the right because of ramps that are too short to allow on comers to merge at a safe speed. They must teach hogging the passing lane in Driver's Ed class along with sleeping at the wheel. They need some State Troopers out on the highways riding the bumpers of clowns who are clogging up the passing lanes like they do in Central Oklahoma. Maybe it will give them a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City