Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 44,454 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Findlay for 6 months (although I might stay longer if I like it here!) and so far it seems like a nice, safe, place to live. The only problem is that being from out of state with no friends or family in the area, I'm beginning to get bored and I would like to meet people and find something to do when I'm not working. I've managed to stay sane through my fantastic job and my new hobby (photography, although I'm no good at it yet) but I'd like to branch out.

Any suggestions on things that a twenty-something might do in town or ways to meet people and make some friends in the area? Any local photography clubs or even just a few people who'd like to meet up and teach me how to NOT make everything blurry??

thanks

PS: To maybe help narrow down the activities, I'm a 27 year old girl who loves the outdoors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm...steak! View Post
I just moved to Findlay for 6 months (although I might stay longer if I like it here!) and so far it seems like a nice, safe, place to live. The only problem is that being from out of state with no friends or family in the area, I'm beginning to get bored and I would like to meet people and find something to do when I'm not working. I've managed to stay sane through my fantastic job and my new hobby (photography, although I'm no good at it yet) but I'd like to branch out.

Any suggestions on things that a twenty-something might do in town or ways to meet people and make some friends in the area? Any local photography clubs or even just a few people who'd like to meet up and teach me how to NOT make everything blurry??

thanks

PS: To maybe help narrow down the activities, I'm a 27 year old girl who loves the outdoors
Well, there are some parks around. There's Litzenberg, Riverside, and Riverbend. I've known my graphic design friends to go out there and shoot nature at Litzenberg now and then. Here's a parks resource for you. (http://www.hancockparks.com/index.html - broken link)

As far at the photography thing is concerned, I know nothing of the art, but have friends that do. To my knowledge they haven't mentioned anything about a photography club, or at least not when I was paying attention.

You could run down by George House Coffee & Tea, although it seems as though traffic has slowed down since the early 2000's. The owner needs to re-invent the place, but I don't know if he has the energy for it.

If you want to stay in town for bars, try going to the West End Tavern around 10:00 on a Friday and Saturday. There's some latter 20-something there. Or, if you like dive bars, Dillon's after midnight. That when it seems to be at least somewhat occupied. There's Uncle Buck and Nino's across from each other at the RR tracks, but those are your 21 year old college students. I can hear people call each other "Brah" just by thinking about it.

There's also a large theater out near Trenton & 300, or Northridge Rd.

Let me know what else you're looking for, so I can tailor it for you.

Last edited by Art1979; 05-20-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the advice, especially regarding the parks - I'll definitely check them out now that it's getting warmer out! As for the bars, I feel weird going there alone and striking up conversations with strangers. In my experience that doesn't work out too well because I get ambushed by guys (the pick-up artist types) and all I'm really looking for right now is to make some friends. In my hometown it was pretty easy to meet people because we had many different organizations, sports leagues, and also BYOBG (bring your own board game) night at one of our local bars so it was low pressure and friendly.

I really appreciate your help and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, especially regarding the parks - I'll definitely check them out now that it's getting warmer out! As for the bars, I feel weird going there alone and striking up conversations with strangers. In my experience that doesn't work out too well because I get ambushed by guys (the pick-up artist types) and all I'm really looking for right now is to make some friends. In my hometown it was pretty easy to meet people because we had many different organizations, sports leagues, and also BYOBG (bring your own board game) night at one of our local bars so it was low pressure and friendly.

I really appreciate your help and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!
Sure, not a problem. While I know of groups that do that around town (i.e dinner and an independent film night), they're not out in the open as it seems in your home town. From where do you hail, might I ask? I've got a dime on Southeastern MI and a nickel on Upstate NY.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Sure, not a problem. While I know of groups that do that around town (i.e dinner and an independent film night), they're not out in the open as it seems in your home town. From where do you hail, might I ask? I've got a dime on Southeastern MI and a nickel on Upstate NY.
Ann Arbor, land of the liberal hippies! Did spend some time in NY too though so you're pretty good

Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Ann Arbor, land of the liberal hippies! Did spend some time in NY too though so you're pretty good
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. This would be a great time to buy a lotto ticket.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
I do have a good friend that is an amatuer semi pro photographer, but unfortunately not on this side of the state!

Wish I could help with some suggestions, but also just recently moved to the BG area myself (coming in from Cleveland, and Lansing, MI before that). The best suggestion as for the outdoors... look up the local parks, and head on out! I have seen some scenic (er.. good outdoor activities) areas in NW OH, but you have to do a little more looking around to find 'em. If you make it out towards the Cleveland area, though, I have a never ending list of outdoorsy things to check out.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
You might also try Craigslist under "activities", where you'll find groups who meet for all kinds of interests and hobbies in your area.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
You might also try Craigslist under "activities", where you'll find groups who meet for all kinds of interests and hobbies in your area.
For higher populated cities in Ohio, that is used a lot. However, as I've compared the Lima/Findlay area Craigslist to say Toledo or others, the use of Craigslist isn't very high. Indeed, they've received their own section a little more than a year ago (possibly two years). It's yet to really catch on, and I doubt many people in the area aware of its existence.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 18,392 times
Go to Bowling Green or Toledo.. Definate fun for 20-somethings...
Findlay is the ultimate for raising a family... but if you're not there yet...
Take the extra 20-40 minutes to drive... worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio