Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 07:38 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times

Advertisements

hmmm....I don't see how....IMHO, those NOT continuing to mask are the brainless, while in YOUR opinion, those who mask up are the dullards.....so it remains a matter of opinion...I will stick with WRNative and err on the side of caution, at least through next winter....then see how it goes. I agree outdoors in the summer time with some amount of distance between bodies (especially vaccinated bodies) is most likely safe enough. Maybe it depends on age.....I think seniors are still going to be cautious...heck, I intend to keep the mask on going forward in the wintertime...I can live happily without colds and flu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 07:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Default Eight vaccinated Yankees test positive for COVID-19

Much is still unknown about these infections, especially what variant is responsible for the infections. Experts also are disturbed that all eight infected players received the one-shot J&J vaccine.

<<Moore would also want to know precisely which sequence of the virus is circulating among the Yankees. Multiple more transmissible variants have circulated recently in New York City.

“And we know that these variants change the equation in terms of how well protected a person will be and how long that protection will last, because all the vaccines are made against the original 2019 version of the virus and the virus has been out there working hard and changing, improving itself out in the world,” said Neuman.>>

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-sur...030355895.html

The article doesn't even address the obvious concern that unvaccinated children may have been exposed to some nasty COVID-19 variant.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-14-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Slightly off track here, not entirely to stir the pot - but -

In the past (say, 50 years...let's keep it recent-ish) - it was not possible to identify at a glance those folks for whom ...let's say, "learning"...was a challenge. Is that mean? Maybe.

But it was 50 years of humoring people who thought the earth is still flat, bigfoot is an alien, or more recently, 5G is bad and so are contrails... ya just couldn't tell by looking. And we humored it. Tolerated it. Created this mess.

But now you will be able to tell who's who.
You're right about this. We now know that those who championed anti-mask policies and refused to wear masks except when compelled to do so, those who posted Trump signs on their lawns even during COVID-19 surges before wide-spread vaccinations, are anti-scientific thinkers gullible to the most outrageous Big Lie propaganda.

We now know the anti-mask, anti-social distancing, anti-quarantine politicians and will hold their ignorant protestations against them forever.

Do you actually prefer the American outcome over relatively superlatively successful anti-COVID policies implemented in Australia and several other countries???

Do you think if Americans knew about the Australian outcome that they wouldn't be outraged?

<<One year after the coronavirus pandemic began, the United States has been reshaped in remarkable ways. One of every 600 people alive at the beginning of last year has died of covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. Millions more have been infected with it, with some part of that group enduring lingering symptoms. Millions of people remain out of work.>>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ps-presidency/

American reported COVID-19 deaths likely will exceed 600 thousand shortly, and may be one million based on excess mortality analyses. So likely 1 of every 350 to one in 500 Americans will die due to our health policy failures. Americans still are dying at the rate of over 1,500/day due to COVID.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-daily-deaths

Australia doesn't tolerate COVID cases and nobody is dying from infections. Their total COVID deaths will remain below 1,000, less than 1 in 25,000!!! You seriously champion our COVID-19 approach???

I should have had the guts to ask neighbors who posted pro-Trump signs as hundreds of thousands Americans were needlessly dying, as the economy was being ravaged, and as millions were incurring debilitating health deficiencies, why they didn't care? Why did they refuse to wear masks except when compelled to do so?

We now have the examples of the relative effectiveness of stringent public health measures in several countries including Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan, all democracies.

Do you seriously prefer the American COVID-19 outcome to what Australia has experienced? Why? Don't you want to safely not wear masks? Are you unconcerned about the trillions wasted because we refused to institute the most basic public health measures? I know nobody who truly understands the economic implications of American epidemic policies who isn't appalled by our shoddy anti-COVID policies. The piper has hardly yet been paid, as we'll still suffer from serious economic consequences in the future even IF we manage to attain herd immunity and suppress the epidemic.

I seriously hope some variant against which our current vaccines offer little protection doesn't take hold in the U.S. Unfortunately, in Republican-crazed states like Ohio, we'll disastrously delay implementing even half-ass public health measures.

I just hope that I will be able to stock up on American-made, preferably 3M, N-95 masks in the near future.

It could be worse. To his credit, DeWine at least exhibits some adherence to scientific knowledge and an minimal effort to suppress the COVID-19 infection rate in Ohio despite the pushback from members of his own party. He is not an all-in Trump adherent like Florida governor Ron DeSantis, who now is attempting to ban the use of COVID-19 vaccine passports in Florida even by cruise lines.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...s-for-cruises/

Last edited by WRnative; 05-14-2021 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
2 articles from The Atlantic magazine:

The Liberals Who Can't Quit Lockdown
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ckdown/618780/

The CDC'S Mask Liberation
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ic-end/618884/

The Atlantic is not a conservative magazine.
I haven't seen one article discussing the Australian experience in the American media, or heard repeated analyses of "No COVID" policies in other nations on any cable show. How is this possible???

Trump Big Lie COVID-19 propaganda has shaped the American COVID response, even the Biden vaccine-centric COVID policies. How often have you heard Anthony Fauci or other Biden COVID spokespersons discuss long haul COVID syndrome, or propose studies to determine its prevalence among the population of those infected by COVID? There aren't even any government-financed studies to my knowledge about how to treat it.

No American politicians lament the fact that we haven't learned from Australia and New Zealand.

It's laughable that America still considers itself a nation based on reason and science.

Keep in mind that the issues described in these Atlantic articles aren't issues in Australia because NO COVID infections are tolerated.

BTW, I would hug someone that I knew was fully vaccinated like me, or visit with them unmasked. What I won't do is trust anti-vaxers frequenting public spaces.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-14-2021 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 10:26 AM

Default Correction: U.S. COVID deaths now 780/day, not 1,500/day

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Americans still are dying at the rate of over 1,500/day due to COVID.

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-daily-deaths
I didn't notice the above linked website had discontinued updating its COVID statistics.

Here's a better source.

https://www.google.com/search?q=u.s....hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 05-14-2021, 05:05 PM

Default Giant Eagle, other retailers will continue mask requirements

Giant Eagle maintains their decision was made to protect workers and customers. Kroger, Home Depot and Starbucks also have announced their intent to continue with the mask requirement.

https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...s-workers.html

Vaccinated Americans outnumber the anti-vaxers, and they want the mask requirement continued. They also favor the use of vaccine passports to permit admission to public schools and certain events.

https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...s-workers.html

Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Much is still unknown about these infections, especially what variant is responsible for the infections. Experts also are disturbed that all eight infected players received the one-shot J&J vaccine.

<<Moore would also want to know precisely which sequence of the virus is circulating among the Yankees. Multiple more transmissible variants have circulated recently in New York City.

“And we know that these variants change the equation in terms of how well protected a person will be and how long that protection will last, because all the vaccines are made against the original 2019 version of the virus and the virus has been out there working hard and changing, improving itself out in the world,” said Neuman.>>

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-sur...030355895.html

The article doesn't even address the obvious concern that unvaccinated children may have been exposed to some nasty COVID-19 variant.
Experts are disturbed?

Lol...then those experts are morons. No vaccine is 100%. We all know that.

No vaccine prevents you from getting Covid or testing positive. The only reason they even knew those guys got it is because of mandatory testing. All but one guy had zero symptoms. One had mild symptoms but is fine now.

No one is in the hospital. The vaccine did exactly what it is supposed to do.

Another stupid headline for the fear mongers.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:24 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Looks like Governor DeWine will be relaxing the mask order in response to the new CDC recommendations:
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...ce/5095879001/

Old 05-15-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Experts are disturbed?

Lol...then those experts are morons. No vaccine is 100%. We all know that.

No vaccine prevents you from getting Covid or testing positive. The only reason they even knew those guys got it is because of mandatory testing. All but one guy had zero symptoms. One had mild symptoms but is fine now.

No one is in the hospital. The vaccine did exactly what it is supposed to do.

Another stupid headline for the fear mongers.

So you would expect experts to ignore an outbreak of COVID infections among vaccinated athletes, especially as variants and vaccine hesitancy pose a constant threat to "break through" our vaccine barrier???

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/14/99695...ing-in-the-u-s

https://theconversation.com/herd-imm...ettings-160228

"Experts are morons." Extremely ignorant words to live by for far too many, Trump-inspired Americans.

<<Trump ridiculed Fauci as a "disaster" and an "idiot" who has been around for "500 years" -- trashing one of the nation's best hopes of easing the pandemic along with his recommendations to quell an alarming Covid-19 surge.>>

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/20/polit...rus/index.html

That's why the U.S. will lose 1 in 350-500 of its citizens to the COVID virus, with millions more suffering debilitating health deficiencies. By contrast, in Australia, the death toll is less than 1 in 25,000, COVID long-term health deficiencies are minimal, the epidemic has been eliminated, and unvaccinated children and others aren't exposed still to a deadly virus and all Australians can live safely in a no-mask society. See posts 7 and 13.

Australia's leaders collectively listened to the experts and acted on their expert advice. Wow! This is the first article that I've seen in the American media explaining how Australia so successfully averted the medical and economic catastrophe that the Trump/Republicans have inflicted on America. Read it and weep for the American lives and wealth unnecessarily sacrificed on the altar of ignorant partisanship.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=4b38a6393a01

In contrast to Australia, Trump and his supporters ignored and vilified the experts, and led America into an ongoing medical and economic disaster. The Trump/Republican COVID-19 policy response represents a level of consequential hubris and deceit not seen in America since the pre-World War II America Firsters, who thankfully were outmaneuvered by President Roosevelt.

Australia listened to the experts and averted the medical and economic disaster inflicted on America with serious medical and economic repercussions for years into the future. The U.S. economic competitiveness has been even more eroded versus nations such as Australia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and China that reacted to the virus with much more stringent and effective public health measures.

The majority of Americans recognize the true morons in our society, and as the truth becomes known about how Trump and his supporters have unnecessarily inflicted the COVID-19 disaster on America, the level of scorn will mount.

Sadly, Congress has not yet exercised effective, if any, oversight over the COVID epidemic, and the Biden administration still follows a Trump-like "live with COVID" strategy, apparently unwilling to confront our morons and implement the stringent public health measures needed to stomp out the epidemic.

Perhaps most sadly, a philosophy of "live with any virus," anti-expert, anti-public health measures, now appears rooted in America. This attitude makes the U.S. extremely vulnerable to any contagious disease, which in the future may be even more deadly than COVID-19.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-15-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2021, 02:38 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
WRNative, I sincerely fear that your hatred of Trump and those who voted for him is going to send you to an early grave if you don't get it under control. You contribute a lot of good relocation advice to this forum; my advice is to focus on that. I can't imagine anyone cares to read these unhinged, self-indulgent rants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio