Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 12:58 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,305 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about applying for a job as assistant professor at Youngstown State University, so I started snooping around (online) to learn more about the area. Some of the things I've read about Youngstown have made me a bit nervous--but the job sounds very exciting, so I will probably still apply.

We would be moving from Minnesota, where we own a 2200 SF, 3 bedroom home (which we built 17 years ago) on 1/2 an acre. We love where we live, but I just finished my PhD and need a job in my field.

Where would you recommend we look to buy a single-family house comparable in size to what we have now? Most importantly, it needs to be in a safe area (as safe as can be these days)--and ideally it will be a reasonable commute (20 minutes would be great).

Also, is YSU in a safe area? If I am scheduled to teach night classes, would I have to be afraid about walking to my car alone after dark? Does this university have a favorable reputation in the area?

Anything you can tell me would be a great help. It looks beautiful in that part of the country--but what's all this I hear (on this site) about crime and the mafia?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
I am thinking about applying for a job as assistant professor at Youngstown State University, so I started snooping around (online) to learn more about the area. Some of the things I've read about Youngstown have made me a bit nervous--but the job sounds very exciting, so I will probably still apply.

There is really not all that much to be nervous about. Of course, many Youngstown neighborhoods(mostly the east and south sides) have a lot of crime, but the campus area is very safe. I think you will also find that the Downtown area is starting to become quite charming. My only advice be aware of your surroundings.

The campus has its own police force and there are call boxes on campus. I believe the campus police will also walk you to your car if you are nervous. I attended there for a few years in the late 90s and i never felt scared during the day. When i was there alone at night i just made sure to be aware of my surroundings and walk quickly and confidently.

We would be moving from Minnesota, where we own a 2200 SF, 3 bedroom home (which we built 17 years ago) on 1/2 an acre. We love where we live, but I just finished my PhD and need a job in my field.

Where would you recommend we look to buy a single-family house comparable in size to what we have now? Most importantly, it needs to be in a safe area (as safe as can be these days)--and ideally it will be a reasonable commute (20 minutes would be great).

There are plenty of homes like the one you describe in the Youngstown suburbs. I think you will find that the Youngstown area is quite affordable when it comes to housing. As for being w/in 20 minutes, i would recommend Howland Township (44484) or Liberty Township to the North, located in Trumbull County. In Mahoning County i would look into Boardman, Poland, Canfield, or Austintown. If you don't have kids and aren't interested in schools i would look at the 5th Ave. area of Youngstown(including Gypsy Lane). This area has some beautiful old homes and many university professors live there. The only bad thing is that there are some shady neighborhoods a few blocks over. The farther north of campus you are the better off you will be.

Also, is YSU in a safe area? If I am scheduled to teach night classes, would I have to be afraid about walking to my car alone after dark? Does this university have a favorable reputation in the area?

Anything you can tell me would be a great help. It looks beautiful in that part of the country--but what's all this I hear (on this site) about crime and the mafia?!

As for the crime, i think if you read through the other threads on city-data, you will find that most crime happens in certain pockets of the city. In my opinion, most crime is drug related. I think if you aren't dealing or buying drugs you should be ok. Of course, people on drugs do rob people, but this could happen anywhere.

Oh yeah, and don't worry about the mob. Youngstown historically was a battleground for the Cleveland and Pittsburgh mafia. They were trying to gain control of Youngstown, since it is in the middle. In the late 90s and early 2000s, most of the mob(a bunch of elderly guys) were put in prison, along w/some corrupt government officials. Since then i've haven't heard a word about the mob. I'm sure they still could be in operation, but it isn't noticeable anymore. If anything they are probably involved in the drug trade, prostitution, and gambling.

Yes, i think the area is very beautiful, but many will complain about the cloudy skys, which i don't notice very much since i've lived here all of my life. I think you will find that it's a very convenient location being an hour from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Akron and its proximity to I-80.

If you do move here i think you will find there is plenty to do and to get involved in. Although, many uninvolved/negative natives will disagree. I suggest you check out the following sites to give you a better idea of what is going on in Youngstown.

Mill Creek MetroParks

The Butler Institute of American Art

DEFEND YOUNGSTOWN!

Chevrolet Centre

i will shout youngstown

Youngstown Business Incubator

:: De Yor Performing Arts Center ::

Welcome to MahoningValley.Info, all about Youngstown, Ohio, Mahoning, Trumbull & Columbiana Counties - Home

Treez Please - Home

Youngstown 2010

downtownyoungstown.com - The City... Online!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Good luck on the job!!
~Cortlandgirl79

Old 04-13-2008, 04:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
I think Cortlandgirl covered just about everything. I'd just like to add that I remember hearing that the YSU campus was rated one of the safest in the state a few years ago.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 AM

92 posts, read 254,698 times
I grew up in the Youngstown area. It doesn't have the best reputation but it is a lovely place. The italian culture is amazing there and I tend to miss it a lot.

Another great community you can live in is Hubbard, OH (44425). It is only about 10 minutes driving distance from YSU. It is a very safe community and a great place to raise a family.

You can also look in Canfield, OH. It's probably about 20 minutes driving distance from YSU. However, it's also a safe community and it was ranked #84 (i believe) out of the Top 100 places to live in the U.S.

Just a couple other things. It's distance in relation to other cities is ideal. You can get to Pittsburgh or Cleveland in an 1.5 hour. If you enjoy road trips, Youngstown is also located right in between Chicago and New York City. About a 7 hour drive to each.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 AM

213 posts, read 1,087,305 times
Default Lots of good information!

Wow. Thank you all so much. You are helping to put my mind at ease.

I checked out homes (online) in the Canfield and Austintown areas, and yes, they would fit the bill perfectly. I agree that housing is much cheaper there compared to other places I've lived (including Fargo, ND--go figure!)--and it looks so pretty there in north eastern Ohio. (Fargo's terrain is about as hilly as a tabletop. ) So, what's the catch? Are property taxes (or other taxes) outlandish? How about the people--friendly enough to newcomers?

This looks like it could be a good fit for us. I'm really stoked!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Wow. Thank you all so much. You are helping to put my mind at ease.

I checked out homes (online) in the Canfield and Austintown areas, and yes, they would fit the bill perfectly. I agree that housing is much cheaper there compared to other places I've lived (including Fargo, ND--go figure!)--and it looks so pretty there in north eastern Ohio. (Fargo's terrain is about as hilly as a tabletop. ) So, what's the catch? Are property taxes (or other taxes) outlandish? How about the people--friendly enough to newcomers?

This looks like it could be a good fit for us. I'm really stoked!

I'm not sure there really is a catch, other than it is hard to find jobs in certain fields and a lot of the workforce is unskilled/uneducated. Many people over 35 years old never went to college because they could get jobs in steel mills, GM, Delphi or other factories that paid very good wages and had good benefits. Now much of that is gone and there are no jobs to replace them.

You'll also find that because the area is depressed economically, many in the community have a negative attitude. This doesn't just apply to the Youngstown area, you'll find the same thing on the Pittsburgh and Cleveland forums and in other rust belt cities.

The other complaint i hear all the time is how people hate the weather..........but since you are already in the midwest you probably hear these things already.

As for taxes, some people complain that property taxes are too high. I guess it depends on what area you are in. Usually really good school districts have high taxes.......the whole school funding issue is a big controversy here.

Another tax that might interest you is the city tax (i believe youngstown is 3%). I'm pretty sure you have to pay this if you work in and/or live in the city. If you move to Canfield or other townships you usually don't have to pay a wage tax, unless of course, you work in a city w/a wage tax.

Also, I think that you'll find our sales tax isn't too bad. I know it Trumbull county our it's 6.5%, i believe it is a little more in Mahoning. There is also no tax on food. Oh yeah, and if you make the short drive over the border to PA there is no tax on clothes, which i think is pretty cool.

As for the people, i think that they are friendly enough to newcomers. You'll probably get questions like, "why the heck did you move here (for)?" from some people. Don't let that scare you away though, this is the negative attitude you may run in to. Otherwise i think it's a great place to live if you have a good job and most people are friendly to you if you're friendly to them.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
There is a 2.75% income tax if you work or live in the city.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
There is a 2.75% income tax if you work or live in the city.
Thanks for the clarification, i wasn't quite positive what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio