Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:20 AM

3 posts, read 20,020 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My Husband and I would love to relocate to Medina County...sooner, rather than later. We are currently living in North Carolina, but we miss the snow up North, & we have been considering moving to Ohio for a while now! We've been researching different areas, and we really like Medina County. We're both 30 years old, & looking to settle down & start a family, buy a home, etc. While doing our research online, we learned that Medina County has great schools, nice people, low crime, & affordable housing. However, we haven't been able to find much out about the type of work available in that area! My Husband would be the only one working, so it's important for him to find a decent/reliable job, and I'm wondering if we're looking at the right area, for us...

My Husband has much experience in plastic molding & extrusion, and he's also been working for a printing company, (as a press operator), for a year. Are there many industrial jobs in the Medina Country area? We wouldn't want a long commute, and he'd need a reliable job/decent salary. Also, we would have to rent for about a year, while looking for a home to buy...does anyone know which towns in Medina County have affordable housing, but are also safe, and in a good location? We have a cat, so we'd need a pet friendly place. Any other info about the area would also be greatly appreciated...we're really interested, & love hearing all about what could be our new home! Thanks so much, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,172 times
Recommend checking the usual links to scope the job market...

monster.com
careerbuilder.com
cleveland.com

Medina is within a reasonable commute to western Cleveland metro, downtown Cleveland, Akron, Wooster, and the northern Canton area. If he doesn't mind driving 30-40 mins, it will expand his employment opportunities.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:32 AM

103 posts, read 432,716 times
Default leaving NC??

My husband and I are also considering moving to Northeastern Ohio -but from southwest FL. We also have NC on our list of considerations. I'm a bit nervous about the job market in Ohio. I keep reading about problems with the poor job market. I am a (part time)RN and my husband works for Coca-Cola. Is it really that bad? Also- we have 2 young children to consider. We think the change of seasons and even the heavy snowfall would give lots of varied activites for kids throughout the year. We are considering Ohio because I have relatives there. Also - we find the countryside to be quite beautiful. Can the poster tell me the goods and bads about living in the Carolinas and can anyone do the same about Ohio for me- please?! Good luck with your decision. Medina looks like a charming small town according to what I've read online and heard from Ohioans.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I think that since you are an RN and hubby works for Coca-cola you should be good as far as jobs go. NE Ohio is a great place to raise a family and a great place to live if you can find jobs (which you two shouldn't have a problem with). My brother on the other hand is a social studies teacher and it's impossible for most teachers to get jobs in Ohio, there just isn't that demand and our colleges and universities pump out a ton of teachers. Right now he's been living in Coastal Carolina and loves it. He's in the area between Jacksonville (Camp Lejune) and Wilmington.

After visiting the area this summer i was shocked at how boring the landscape was on RT 40 across the state. It seems like there were broken down cars everywhere and a lot of trash covering the sides of the roads. In the area where my brother lives there was really nothing to do at all. He lives in a small town right near Topsail Island. Topsail was great when it came to the beach, but there really isn't anything else to do there. I did notice that they had a golf course and some fast food places, but that was about it. I also visited Jacksonville and Wilmington. Jacksonville actually had a mall and a little more to do, but it looked kind of dumpy. Wilmington was pretty nice w/an outdoor mall, indoor mall and lots of shopping and nice homes. I was really impressed w/their historic homes from the civil war era. The only problem i saw w/Wilmington was that it was pretty congested and is known for being the most expensive city in NC, otherwise it was nice.

Oh yeah, another thing i didn't like was that there were no professional sports w/in a couple hundred miles(i don't know if you're a sports fan or not ). I mean, i guess i'm used to driving between 10 minutes and an hour to see 3 minor league baseball teams, 1 hour to both cleveland and pittsburgh, etc. That's the one thing my bro really hates about the place. Their closest minor league baseball team is over 30 minutes away and there isn't anything else to speak of when it comes to sports. Also, he has to drive at least an hour or two to either wilmington or Raleigh to see any concerts. I guess my bro's saving grace is that he has a satelite dish w/the NFL, MLB, and college football package so he can keep up w/his Ohio sports teams.

Alright, i know i went on a little too much there, but i hope it helps. Good luck on your search!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,657 times
Default The Best 411 On Medina Ohio

OK KIDS...

So I was born and raised in Medina for 19 years, and am currently living in Manhattan doing my masters work at Juilliard. It has been quite a change, but I can now say I have been around the block with living so to speak...

To the couple with the printing press operator. There is a medium sized industrial park in the western parts of Medina. Included in some of the industry there is a large 3M plant that manufactures paint samples for automotive dealers, and a section of the strip is a huge factory that processes tar roofing shingles. However, the big deal in Industry in Medina is boxing. Corrugated, paper products, printing plates, die cuts, and presses. There is a company in Seville (a 10 minute drive south on rt. 3) called Action Graphics, it is the spear-head for most of this as it handles almost all of the printing plate orders for the tri state area... in short, there is plenty of industry in Medina... And you could always go for nostalgia and work at AI Root Candle Company, one of the oldest and largest known industry establishements in the city.

To the couple with the RN and the Coke company worker... There is a Coca Cola bottling company about twenty five minutes North East of Medina. I had a close friend in high school whose father worked there for almost 30 years. As for the RN, Medina General Hospital is one of the only places I trust having medical work done. Huge, clean, beautiful, and safe, this place is always looking, and there are enough private practices (over 20), and a free Crystal Clinic in the city too. Healthcare is Medina's big thing, and if you're not in it, you are probably a lawyer. (you can laugh, it's a joke)

To all:

From someone who has been there and done that, Medina is beautiful. It is safe, kind, there are tons of wonderful quiet areas and each is diffrent, from brand new homes in large developments, to small affordable 1970's suburbs with kids playing hockey in the streets, to quaint farmhouses on lakes, there is nothing like a quiet, starlit night watching the moon rise in Medina. The school is huge, and while the math department suffers, the Arts are some of the most accomplished in Ohio, if not, the United States, and every so often you'll find one of the world's most inspiring lit. teachers.

It's not cheap for a suburb, and if you bring kids here, expect to spend some money, no matter what events or sports they choose. Our football team sucks, but we have an amazing championship winning Marching Band that plays at half time, and our Golf, Lacrosse, and Basketball teams are always at the top of the game, not to mention the star tennis team.

As well, from a New York perspective, it small, but it is growing, they put in a drive-thru Starbucks, and a 16 theatre movie-plex and yet the old country gas stations and down town Ice Cream shops remain. As for politics, expect strict white-washed republicans with mainly Catholic agendas, a slightly overbearing, but very useful police force, and if you happen to be a lawyer, divorce court is where all the money is. For me, it wasn't too much of a problem as a kid, but getting older, I dispbanded traditional religion and caught a lot of flack for it, and in college I was infamously rejected for being in a homosexual relationship for a year, but from experience, even that culture still survives, underground...

All in all, it is a pretty nice place. Children come out with an education that is well rounded in the liberal, literature, visual, and performance arts, and more extra ciurriculars than one can ever count. If I am anything to prove, I had mid-tier grades all through Medina Schools, but I graduated with 11 credits more than I needed and I am still attending the most prestigious Music Conservatory in the country, if not the world, and many of my Medina friends are finishing up at Yale, Harvard, Duke, Brown, Oberlin and Swarthmore.

I will say, however, that for a mid-teen there is little to do outside of school activities, and as much as one may call nearby Cleveland a city, it is not. If you come to Medina and want to go somewhere fun, plan to drive an hour and a half south to Columbus, and more-over, if you have children, watch them, because often I saw boredom in Medina turn into a nasty high school market for drag racing and marijuana, and it was always the neat A+ prep students and star football players who were doing it. All and all, a good place to be raised, a beautiful, charming place to live, but a tough place to be stuck in. Take vacations, to big places, Miami, New York, and get out of the county to eat in Columbus or tour Amish Country AT LEAST once a month and you will fare just fine...

It was a rocky ride sometimes, but then... where isn't?

Best of Luck.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Also A Schulman has something to do with plastics.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 16,812 times
I know there are several plastics companies in Medina, including a large plastics company "Platipak" perhaps. In addition to RN positions posted, the Cleveland Clinic is almost done with a medical center in Brunswick. As for schools, we are just outside of Medina (Chatham Twp). Our kids go to Cloverleaf, which is rated Excellent by the state. It is a great family oriented small community where neighbors help neighbors.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 AM

6 posts, read 26,032 times
Hi from Brunswick, in beautiful Medina County. I've lived here for 32 years and find it a wonderful community. It is a city but with a small town feel. We have Excellent schools, as rated by the state. We have 7 elementary schools, 3 middle schools and 1 High School. Our HS football team consistently makes the state playoffs ( and in Ohio H.S. football is a big thing!) My two sons went through Brunswick Schools and did very well in College. Actually all the schools in Medina County are good. Brunswick (Brunswick City and Brunswick Hills Township) is a growing area. We are close to Cleveland and Akron. Housing is affordable, both rental and ownership. The Cleveland Clinc just opened a new Medical Center and University Hospital's medical center is scheduled to open soon. If you would like more info just message me directly.
Suejoy

Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 AM

163 posts, read 664,529 times
We are moving to Medina county this August. I'm starting a one-year term job with a federal court, so we're looking for something to rent. I've been browsing the internet for a couple months now, and I haven't seen many single family homes for rent. When something good does pop up, it seems like it doesn't stay available for long. Can anyone tell me what the rental market is like there? Do most people just put a sign in their yard instead of other advertising? I would think that with the down real estate market there would be lots of owners trying to get renters in houses that aren't selling, but maybe that is offset by increased demand from people who are looking to rent instead of buying.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,987 times
Default Tornados

For Silver_esque

I know I'm probably late for this posting but I would like to correct some inaccuracies for future readers (and in case you haven't moved here yet).

Medina County Ohio is ABOVE average for tornado activity in the state of Ohio. Medina County Ohio has a 3.1 times higher occurence of tornados than the US average. There were 18 tornados to hit the county between 1950 (when they began keeping records) and 2004. This total does not include the tornados that have struck in the past 4 years, including the increased activity that occured in 2006 and 2007.

Torando Myth #1
I live in a hilly/forest area so I don't have to worry about tornados. They only hit flat farm land.
Fact: Tornados hit anywhere they feel like hitting, regardless of topography. During the Super Outbreak of 1974 numerous tornados hit Kentucky, Tennesee, North Carolina, all in the Appalachian foothills (which are much hillier than any area of Medina County). One also scaled Monte Sano Mountain in Alabama which has an elevation of 1,600+ feet.

Tornado Myth #2
I live in the city, tornados don't strike cities.
Fact: Try telling that to the people of Fort Worth, TX and Atlanta, GA. Both of those big cities were hit by tornados in the last 8 years alone. The reality is that urban areas (cities and heavily populated suburbs) only account for less than 3% of the total land mass of the United States. The only reason why tornados are less likely in cities is because they are statistically 97% more likely to strike a rural area. And regardless of urban legends, skyscrapers do not deter tornados, not much does.

Tornado Myth #3
They only strike in the Spring/Early Summer and they don't strike when it's cold. I'm betting the good people of Kenosha WI would tell you that's not true. They had one in January of '08 (which if you've ever been there, it's definitely winter and it's definitely cold in WI in January).

I've lived in Ohio almost all my life. I've lived in Columbus (never saw tornados there but they did happen), I've driven through Mansfield and seen tornados, I lived in Cleveland (not a single one while I was there). I'm now living in southwestern Medina County. Been here less than 2 years and have had 4 tornados touch done within a 25 mile radius of my home. But I still love it here and would move here again without any qualms. It's a great area, beautiful driving and scenery, and the people are very nice. There are no nicer people on earth than Ohioans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio