Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.stevencarr View Post
Buy the book. It is written by someone that was in the Ocala school system for ten years. Need I say more?
We dont care.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,217 times
Why not?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,422 times
I got stuck in this hell hole because my dad had to get married his third time and now he's been going to get divorced for like 4 years. And he is so stupid she will get half of the house.

I moved from Fort Lauderdale a small college town to ocala marion oaks in 2005 i think. I was 15.

We bought property outright and its dropped in value about 20k from the price we paid.

We live behind pine eden. Not to far from the golf course.

There is not many stores here and very little employment. Iv held two jobs since 2006 Mcdonalds for 6 months then construction framing for 2 years.

Now my car is broke down and I'm dependent on my dad's friend for transportation. Places are far to go specially when you struggle with an income.

Since being laid off of construction 3 years ago iv been unemployed. Iv only left my house to go to the store in the front by water fountain and walmart on 200 by on top of the world. Iv only been further on 200 and a couple other places very few times since being unemployed.

Its been like 7 years I'm in marion oaks now. And it horrible. There is nothing here. No friends,stores, nothing. Its a desert here. That's why its nicknamed slow-cala. Leave while you can.

I can even ride a bicycle to the front stores because ocala is so dam hilly and the ground isn't flat so its literally more physical work which also means more stress to you're car also.

Ocala sucks and i hate it. I want to leave.

My dad has a bachelors in criminal justice from FIU and unemployed 3+ years.

And by the basketball courts is being taken over by gangs. When i was 16 the gangs were starting now they taken over and got worse. Its nothing to be scared of compared to other parts but you'd have to be blind to not see activity forming. The problem I see is its going to only get worse over time and not better.

Just listen to everclear Santa Monica and dream of a new place.

We can live beside the ocean, we can fall behind, swim out past the breaker and watch the world die.

When i was in Fort lauderdale/Miami times were good. Now everything in ocala is depressing. The Highest opportunity you have here is to work some register in retail for the next 20+ years. Then you'll pee blood one day go to the hospital with no insurance and be told you either you have kidney stones or a tumor and you should get it checked out.

Then it goes from there.

Last edited by needler420; 06-20-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
I can even ride a bicycle to the front stores because ocala is so dam hilly and the ground isn't flat so its literally more physical work which also means more stress to you're car also.
No dear, Ocala would not be hilly, that would be San Francisco.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM

56 posts, read 152,403 times
I'm really confused... I live in Michigan and would like to relocate to Florida - specifically the Ocala area because I've been told that it's the best horse area in the state. I also make pottery and have the hopes that there are art fairs SOMEWHERE in the 60 mile radius.

What is the REAL deal there? I keep hearing odd things like out in the rural areas - where I'd have to be with 7 horses - that people are always out shooting wild pigs and alligators etc. and TONS of crime.

Is this just a bunch of baloney and people are just teasing me, or is that how it really is?

Thanks in advance for some HONEST info...

Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,427 times
Mammi Miiagi,

I don't think anything replaces going to Ocala and taking a look for yourself. Have a reputable realtor take you on a "look see" tour of the area, not of homes, but of neighborhoods that suit what you would be looking for.

We are still in the process of moving (slow working with contractors to get our house in MO ready to sell). We did a look see tour and liked what we saw. Granted some areas are clearly run down and not where we would want to live but that is the same in every state I've lived in (MD, VA, NC, IL, CT and MO).

My husband and I both grew up in rural areas this is definitely going back to our childhood lifestyles vs places we've lived since. So definitely change for us and definitely was not planned but one start up down the tubes and a fantastic job offer later, here we are!

Best of luck to you!
AK

Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM

good advice, thank you! In reality, Michigan is not exactly a place I'd advise anyone to move to right now... but what I hate here might not be so bad to someone else. So I'll just come and look like you suggested

Old 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Miiagi View Post
I'm really confused... I live in Michigan and would like to relocate to Florida - specifically the Ocala area because I've been told that it's the best horse area in the state. I also make pottery and have the hopes that there are art fairs SOMEWHERE in the 60 mile radius.

There are art fairs all over FL in the fall and winter.
Some of them are the best in the SE US.

What is the REAL deal there? I keep hearing odd things like out in the rural areas - where I'd have to be with 7 horses - that people are always out shooting wild pigs and alligators etc. and TONS of crime.

Crime out in the country?
No, we're all armed, and the thugs in town know it.
One has to have a license to kill gators, and there is a specific season for them, they are very strictly regulated by Game and Wildlife.
Pigs are the same thing, unless they are on your property, then one can shoot them.

Bears are considered endangered, and yes, they are all over the place.
I have seen 3 in the last 2 weeks, I hope the place you are buying has a secure barn, for your horses sake.
We also have bobcats and FL panthers, the panthers are an endangered species.

Is this just a bunch of baloney and people are just teasing me, or is that how it really is?

Thanks in advance for some HONEST info...
Honestly, who is telling you this stuff?
I've been here 21 years and never heard it, I have lived in the Ocala National Forest for almost a decade and have never heard anything about tons of crime, if there were, it would be in the Ocala newspaper, and the neighbors would all be talking about it.
I think someone is giving you very bad info.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM

Thank you for the info... I've been thinking that a lot of what I've read is a bunch of garbage. I'm with you about the carrying a gun thing, it only makes sense if people know you might be carrying that they'd stay away.

The horse people I know that have been to Ocala ALL love it and recommend it above all other locations! And considering how close I live to Detroit and Dearborn I doubt that Ocala's supposed crime is any worse than it is here.

I guess hunting season is the same everywhere - they hunt deer and geese and rabbits and a lot of other things here.

But you mention that I better have a secure barn... now THAT is a little scary!!!! Which do I need to worry most about, the bears or the big cats? If the bear really come onto the farm, CAN a barn be strong enough to keep them out?

I'd appreciate any other insights you might have to offer.

thanks.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Miiagi View Post
Thank you for the info... I've been thinking that a lot of what I've read is a bunch of garbage. I'm with you about the carrying a gun thing, it only makes sense if people know you might be carrying that they'd stay away.

The horse people I know that have been to Ocala ALL love it and recommend it above all other locations! And considering how close I live to Detroit and Dearborn I doubt that Ocala's supposed crime is any worse than it is here.

I guess hunting season is the same everywhere - they hunt deer and geese and rabbits and a lot of other things here.

But you mention that I better have a secure barn... now THAT is a little scary!!!! Which do I need to worry most about, the bears or the big cats? If the bear really come onto the farm, CAN a barn be strong enough to keep them out?

I'd appreciate any other insights you might have to offer.

thanks.
You need a secure barn mainly because of bear, depending on where you end up buying, yes, they can be a nuisance.
We have livestock, we have never had a problem at all, but then we have a secure barn.
Yes, of course a decently built barn will keep them out, just as a decently built house will, too.
I wouldnt be overly alarmed about it, just remember, when you move out into the country, you are moving into the wildlifes habitat, and you need to be aware they are there, store your feed in a secure area, dont leave your garbage outside....common sense stuff, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala