Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 AM

25 posts, read 143,661 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of hearing people put down Marion Oaks. Go to Moving Companies, Free Quotes from Professional Movers & Moving Services at Moving.com then click on City Profile and put in the zip code 34473 and compare it to any other zip code in Marion County or anywhere else for that matter. You will find that Marion Oaks has one of the lowest crime rates in Marion County and has for several years. If you lived anywhere up north that older section of homes would be referred to as the "historic district". Marion Oaks is comprised of a lot of good people from all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 15,391 times
Default Why I lived on South Side

When we first arrived, area realtors steered us away from Marion Oaks. "Bad roads", "high crime" and "colorful neighborhoods" is how they described the area. We explored Marion Oaks for ourselves and found the following was true:

The roads in developed areas are as good as any. The roads in the undeveloped are not so good.

Per the Marion County Sheriff's office, Ocala (city) crimes were 10 per 1000 people, of which most were ranked as "violence against people". Marion County crimes were 1 per 1000 people, of which the split between "violence against people" and "property damage" were about equaly split. In Marion Oaks, the crime statistics were 0.1 per 1000 of which most were "property damage".

A drive around the area found it was certianly "colorful". It's about an even mix of white, black and hispanic, with a healthy sprinkling of everyone else.

As for problems, we lived on the South side for 3 years, (a job move took us out of there and we wish we could move back). Our neighbor hood was quiet, and our neighbors were friendly. We lived within walking distance of the basketball & tennis courts and yes, there are some "problem" people hanging out there, but we never had a problem walking by at any time, day or night.

I have lived in many places, but the South side of Marion Oaks was one of the better ones. I would live there again if we were fortunate enough to move back.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 15,366 times
I rent a home in Marion Oaks and I pretty much consider it like living in a suburban area. Everyone there is very pleasent, no one bothers anyone else and the houses are gorgeous and everyone keeps their areas and homes looking wonderful, and I haven't seen anyone outside, everyone's in their home minding their own business. I really don't like the north part of town I think it looks more ghetto then Marion Oaks. I don't have a problem with people being of other races or Marion Oaks being colorful as someone else put it. I think a place to live is how you see it and who the person is deep inside who is judging it. I am amazed at how outrageous some of these judgements are of Marion Oaks.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 15,361 times
I will say that these board can make you think twice about marion oaks. I moved here about 3 months ago, and I love it. Past neighborhoods have been Altamonte Springs in fl and Pelham Bay in NY. Marion Oaks is like a small city and the same way NYC had areas not so good there are also areas just blocks away that are wonderful. Anyone from NY would know what I am talking about. NYC has the "projects" and just 5 blocks away uptown Park Ave rates for rentals.

We has our house built and choose a lot in an already established area. The people are friendly and the houses around me are well kept. I think that is what you need to look for. We could not happier.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Shoemaker View Post
I am so tired of hearing people put down Marion Oaks. Go to Moving Companies, Free Quotes from Professional Movers & Moving Services at Moving.com then click on City Profile and put in the zip code 34473 and compare it to any other zip code in Marion County or anywhere else for that matter. You will find that Marion Oaks has one of the lowest crime rates in Marion County and has for several years. If you lived anywhere up north that older section of homes would be referred to as the "historic district". Marion Oaks is comprised of a lot of good people from all over the world.
Historic area??? Really???? Then the 20 year old DW I have in the Forest must need to be placed on the National Trust!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 15,757 times
Default Marion Oaks north side/south side

I'm like Charlotte, I get upset with people putting down the south side of Marion Oaks for absolutely no reason. The south side has some fantastic sections, such as Pine Eden which consists of beautiful homes on half an acre lots, or the golf course section with homes directly on the golf course, or TimberRidge which is further up on 484 and consists of all new and beautiful homes. Then of course there are the sections that aren't built up as much, these sections appeal to the person who wants a bit more privacy.
All these sections are on the south side.........Marion Oaks is a great community, both north and south sides, and probably the most affordable community in the area. Personally, I think the south side has a lot more character than the north side, but both sides are great.......

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 43,941 times
All i can say is that Marion Oaks is a nice place and the schools are not as bad as everyone is claiming the only problem and it is a problem that all of florida needs to address is that autistic children do not get enough assisstance we are going to relocate

Old 02-29-2008, 07:59 AM

23 posts, read 88,655 times
I just moved to Marion Oaks a year ago (across from the waterfall). I love it. Fresh air, peace and quiet & neighbors keep to themselves. But yesterday, I found out that a CVS is to be built right behind my home. I am so upset. How can the city allow a business to be built so close to the homes??? I thought that area (woods/nature) was under some type of protection. And isnt there a law about how far from a family home a business can build? I was told that there would be only a 50 ft buffer between this business & my property line. I am so upset & heart broken. The view that brought me peace and pleasure will now be of a business and its parking lot. Not to mention that I will loose privacy from two angles on my property, the noise from cars, the possible trash that will be left on the ground to be picked up by the wind and onto my property. My dogs will be constantly barking & my child will no longer be as safe. Could someone please help me in finding out if this could be stopped? Or if I was right to think that the area was supposed to have been left untouched? TY & GB*

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
welcome to Marion County, the home of embracing unchecked growth at any cost..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 35,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadleigh View Post
I build homes in Marion Oaks. The North and South issue relates to which side of 484 you live on. The newer homes are mostly being built on the North side. On the South side construction is just beginning in Unit 11 near Timberwalk. It is relatively quiet there and is only just South.

I hear the rumors about the old section of Marion Oaks (South) and the crime problems although I have not witnessed anything of the sort. I have had occasional theft problems on jobsites but it is mostly the crews that are working on that particular job that walk off with material and tools.

Choose your builder very carefully and check out the boards for complaints. Good luck!!
Yes.... Marion Oaks is very bad for home invasions and I would not recommend a house in Marion Oaks for snow birds especially. People will monitor your house and break in when opportunity strikes....Get a good alarm system!

1 recent homicide, I think it was a domestic case though on the older side of marion oaks.

I've lived here for 12 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala