Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,149,327 times

Advertisements

I am going to Honolulu at the end of July. I will be there for 6 days. I will also rent a car because I want to see the whole island not only the downtown area. Can you recommend nice places that everyone must see like beaches, parks, aquariums and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I am going to Honolulu at the end of July. I will be there for 6 days. I will also rent a car because I want to see the whole island not only the downtown area. Can you recommend nice places that everyone must see like beaches, parks, aquariums and so on.
Try this link - pretty well covers it:

Hawaii | Fodor's Travel Guides

Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,703,170 times
First what do you expect to see to make the hawaii trip enjopyable and memorable? Can't tell you how many folks come to hawaii and end up doing the same stuff they could do on the mainland and leave with nothing really to remember it by.

Somethings are chessy like the staged luau, but you know, that is exactly what you want to experience on Hawaii cause it is something you will always remember from the trip. So think about what you really want to feel and experience and do those things.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM

960 posts, read 1,219,610 times
I always recommend seeing the Iolani Palace. 'Iolani Palace - Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Most people visiting Honolulu don't even realize the palace exists. It's well worth touring and learning some of Hawaii's history.

I'm also a fan of the Polynesian Cultural Center. Be there when they open the gates and spend the big $$'s for the full deal: Guided tour, luau and also the Night Show. The night show after the Luau is really a great show. You will love it. And since you have a car, no worries about getting there and back.

I personally enjoyed the shark tours off the North Shore. some folks get seasick on the boat, but the seeing the sharks up close & personal in the ocean 3 miles off-shore is pretty fantastic. I went on North Shore Shark Adventure.

Anyway, that's a few of the items I feel are interesting and fun for a visit to Oahu.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM

60 posts, read 245,514 times
When relatives come into town to visit, we usually recommend Diamond Head hike, Pearl Harbor, a cheesy luau (my inlaws loved the Paradise Cove one we took them to) also of course beaches, which vary depending on what you want to see. North Shore drive

My parents are here quite a bit as they stop in to visit us when enroute to their place on Kauai, and we have recently done Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, gliders at Dillingham, Punchbowl

Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMKAT View Post
Gliders at Dillinghaml
The beach across from Dillingham is nice as it is off the beaten path and not crowded. Pack a cooler with lunch and beverages. From the beach you'll not only see the gliders coming in, but many other vintage planes landing/taking off - and people parachuting.

If you really want to do something bold - go on the shark tour on the N. Shore - you get in the shark cage where they film it and you can take pictures. Very safe - even with children. They start early, like 6am - and then you have the whole day ahead of you on the N. Shore.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM

48,579 posts, read 34,966,648 times
I think the Polynesian Cultural Center and Kualoa Ranch are two of the best attractions. The caged shark dive is AWESOME.

Keep an eye on Groupon and Living Social as they will have a lot of discount activities.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Did the "Screamer" boat ride from a Groupon today - wasn't really worth it - I'd skip it. Even with a groupon.

Next up - Ko'Olina Ocean Adventure swimming with Dolphins and Turtles next weekend - will report then.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,250 times
If you are a photo-taking-nut, explore Chinatown, during the DAYLIGHT hours (not night). Pop into stores and shops for interesting photo shots, and check out the street-side vegetable displays. Some of my favorite photos that I've taken have been in Chinatown.

It is within walking distance from Iolani Palace (if you enjoy walking).

Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,899 times
Cyber, what an interesting post...my spouse hasn't taken many photos while in HI, but he took dozens of them in Chinatown, especially at the market...I can't wait to get out there to see it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: