Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,655 times

Advertisements

We are a lesbian couple with one child in the process of relocating to the NOVA area from CT. We would like to live in an area in which we will be accepted. It would also be nice if there were other gay families around but we don't need a "gayborhood". Any suggestions on housing would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

9,000 posts, read 21,297,302 times
There is unlikely to be any cause of concern for your family in NOVA. That said, this isn't DC so be sure you have all of your legal ducks in a row before you settle here. I'm not aware if there are any particular neighborhoods where gay families tend to gather but I'd be curious if others here had any ideas.

The more important questions will likely be: Where will either or both of you be working? What is your budget for rent or mortgage? The cost of living here - not to mention the traffic - iprobably sn't much relief compared to SW CT. Many people make tradeoffs between their commute and budget.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM

982 posts, read 3,500,974 times
I think you should check out Alexandria...closer to Old Town, or even Arlington, Vienna, or Fairfax. Where are you going to be working?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,150,218 times
Assuming you can afford them, you might find neighborhoods in Central/South Arlington and the City of Alexandria (not necessarily Old Town, which is quite pricy, so much as places like Del Ray, Rosemont and Shirlington) attractive. These are areas with many older SFHs on comparatively small lots that tend to attract more liberal residents than you'd find elsewhere in NoVa. In addition, while there are many M/F couples with kids in those neighborhoods, there are also a fair number of gay couples, singles, widows/widowers, etc.

If you have your hearts set on a 3500+ SF house built in the last decade, or if you are intent on living in an area where the public schools have the highest standardized test scores in NoVa, these places wouldn't be for you. But just going from what you've written, they would seem to be good areas to consider.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,093,101 times
I doubt you'll encounter much prejudice, but Tone's right, it's challenging to figure out which area would be most likely to have similar families. I agree, the best choices are Arlington and Alexandria, as others have mentioned. If you want to be out in the burbs, Reston would be most likely to have other families like yours. Also, Fairfax near GMU.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 AM

3 posts, read 10,655 times
Thank you for responding. The information is very helpful. We have a housing budget of around 450K. One of us will be working in Fairfax and the other one of us is still negotiating job offers. We don't require a brand new SFH. The one we live in now is circa 1905. We are not opposed to THs, just have to learn more about them.
How long is the typical commute from Alexandria to Fairfax?
Also, I have read a little about Del Ray. What can you tell me about that area?
Thank you.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 AM

9,000 posts, read 21,297,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtskater View Post
Thank you for responding. The information is very helpful. We have a housing budget of around 450K. One of us will be working in Fairfax and the other one of us is still negotiating job offers. We don't require a brand new SFH. The one we live in now is circa 1905. We are not opposed to THs, just have to learn more about them.
How long is the typical commute from Alexandria to Fairfax?
Also, I have read a little about Del Ray. What can you tell me about that area?
Thank you.
In the generally close-in areas that have been suggested, $450K may get you a smaller SFH or very nice TH. Many THs here have as much interior space as a number of detached homes.

You may like the Del Ray neighborhood a lot. If there's anything close to a "bohemian" vibe in NOVA, that would be the place. You'll find a number of younger families and generally laid-back people strolling through the numerous locally-owned shops and restaurants along Mount Vernon Avenue. There also seems to be a lot of synergy from the elementary school and public library located next to each other. There are a lot of "cute" bungalows in the neighborhood. Some may possibly be within your price range.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,900,849 times
As cool as it is, Del Ray is something of a micro-neighborhood - very tiny.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,354,089 times
I live in Ashburn and it's accepting as well. Matter of fact my next door neighbors are lesbians and have 2 children and they are by far the most popular couple on the block-we love them!

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia