Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,474 times

Advertisements

Just got a job in McLean and will be moving to NoVA from out of state. Looking at possibly moving to Alexandria - Duke Street area around North Jordan Street/South Pickett Street. Wondering what that area of Alxandria is actually like and what the commute time would be to McLean. If more than 45 minutes in the morning, I would consider moving somewhere else. Budget for housing about 1250-1300 (prefer it to be less). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Hmm, I don't specifically know that area of Alexandria so I'll leave that to someone else. If you will be working in McLean, I would try to move closer to McLean unless you have some specific thing about Alexandria that interests you. This might include Falls Church, McLean/Tysons, Vienna, even maybe Arlington (reverse commute is always interesting to consider). I used to drive from McLean to Old Town Alexandria - well, just for 2 weeks - there is a famous dog school where you drop off your dog every AM for training. I mean, the commute in my case wasn't terrible, but still ... just doesn't make sense without more criteria. But Alexandria is great, don't get me wrong.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
kqm

3 posts, read 6,992 times
Duke St/S Pickett st - sounds like right around landmark mall. great location, close to DC and Old Town, but depending on what time you leave for work, commute will eventually be a chore. 45 minutes+/- sounds about right for that distance in traffic.

the other places mentioned are a better choice if you're concerned about commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psugrad234 View Post
Just got a job in McLean and will be moving to NoVA from out of state. Looking at possibly moving to Alexandria - Duke Street area around North Jordan Street/South Pickett Street. Wondering what that area of Alxandria is actually like and what the commute time would be to McLean. If more than 45 minutes in the morning, I would consider moving somewhere else. Budget for housing about 1250-1300 (prefer it to be less). Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Commute can absolutely be more than 45 minutes, especially on a rainy day/snowy day.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 AM

90 posts, read 367,045 times
Default Type of Housing?

Are you looking for a house or condominium? I live in McLean and own some houses in Springfield, Arlington, and the Fair Oaks area of Fairfax (might be do-able early in the morning via an alternate to I-66). Springfield can be affordable but you have to watch the area you choose and the "mixing bowl" and beltway in that area all the way to and from Tysons/McLean can be a bit of a headache. Houses in Arlington and many parts of Fairfax County (including McLean) are generally $1,700 and up. Many people end up trying to settle for less after dealing with a terrible commute. I grew up in Arlington and still really like that area. Check out condos in the Ballston area. I don't know how much they are going for; however, that area has developed really nicely with shops, restaurants, and grocery.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,474 times
Smile thanks!

Thanks guys! I was looking to Alexandria because it seems to have a little more to do at night, and that part of Alexandria seems to be a little cheaper with respect to rent (especially when compared to Arlington). I am looking for a 1 bedroom apt in more of a garden style complex (had a studio in a high rise in grad school and would rather not repeat a high rise or studio experience).

McLean and Falls Church are good ideas -- McLean seems a little harder to come by with my budget for 1 bedrooms. Suppose outside the beltway coming in (Reston area) would be horrible given what I've heard about traffic on the Dulles Toll Road.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! I was looking to Alexandria because it seems to have a little more to do at night, and that part of Alexandria seems to be a little cheaper with respect to rent (especially when compared to Arlington). I am looking for a 1 bedroom apt in more of a garden style complex (had a studio in a high rise in grad school and would rather not repeat a high rise or studio experience).

McLean and Falls Church are good ideas -- McLean seems a little harder to come by with my budget for 1 bedrooms. Suppose outside the beltway coming in (Reston area) would be horrible given what I've heard about traffic on the Dulles Toll Road.
I believe the Dolly Madison apartments in Tyson's Corner round out at just below $1300 for 1 bedrooms. I'd check though, because their prices might have changed since summer.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Hi, I would check on craigslist, but I don't have a specific complex in mind. Around Tysons there are a bunch of condos that are sort of medium rises with first floor options. Maybe an option would be the former Lincoln - it went condo and has a new name (???). I've visited there and it's fine, about three or four stories, kind of a nice compromise of types. I visited one friend with a first floor unit and a nice patio. OK, just found it - now Post Tysons Corner. I rent a gorgeous condo in Lillian Court (already rented, long term) for $1250/month, so I know for fact you can find something nice in your price range.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
If you want to stay closer to the nightlife areas with access to Tysons you should look at Falls Church, and South or West Arlington. Both have a number of low rise apartments and are fairly close to nightlife areas such as Arlington or DC. The area of Alexandria you are looking at doesn't have a lot of nightlife, you'd have to go to Old Town or Del Ray.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
i worked in Mclean for a couple of weeks (i live off duke across the street from landmark). It usually took around 25-35 minutes to there and about 20-25 min coming back. Mind you, this was in August with the kids out of school and on sunny days. One tip I would take 236 West (Duke St.) to the beltway, that saved me 5 min over goin to 395 S to 495 N. The area you are moving to is pretty safe has some petty crime like most places. As long as you aint into drug-dealing you'll have little to worry about. for 1250, you can get into most apartments on the west end.

but if you can afford areas closer to Tysons i'd go there. Alexandria is probably the only NoVA suburb i can come close to liking but u never know with traffic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia