Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,134,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
In DC, the measure to impress is not a 'chi chi area' or a fancy car but 'Intellectual Overbearance' It goes something to the effect of, "OH I have my JD from Penn and MY MBA from Thunderbird but I'm mainly concentrating on my Foundation work and Political Therorizing"
Ugh...
Very true. Professional schools are just the foundation for the Foundation or Institute work - the true higher calling.

Kinda reminds me of Christopher Buckley's "Thank You for Smoking" - where the lobbying group (the "Tobacco Institute" in real life) was renamed "The Academy for Tobacco Studies."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,723,056 times
Nawww, chi-chi is a type of fly, isn't it?

Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,212,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Do some of you just post threads now trying to "bait" me into another debate because you're bored? I'm not taking it, so sorry to disappoint you.
oh brother....

Believe it or not, not everything is about you, Scran. I wasn't even thinking about you. Yes, I started this thread because "chi chi" is a funny word that everyone's been using lately and so that made it a funny topic, but mostly I started it to win the award. You know, the award that Normie brought up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, looks like "chi chi" is the word of the day! Hey, it's Monday, I think we need a "chi chi" contest to perk things up--the person who says it the most times today gets an award!
Nobody else claimed the award, so I figured it was still up for grabs. And just in case somebody else tries to claim they won, let me seal the deal: "chi chi" "chi chi" "chi chi" "chi chi" "chi chi" "chi chi"

There, that oughta clinch it. So normie, now that I've won, what are ya giving out?

ps. Before anyone gets paranoid and tries to read some secret hidden meaning into the fact that I started a new thread for this topic, the reason was that normie's "chi chi" challenge was in a thread about Front Royal. If I had asked what cities are considered "chi chi" in that thread, I'd be guilty of hijacking the thread. And that's a no no. So let's all relax and have some fun. After all, this is a fun topic.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-23-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,212,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Nawww, chi-chi is a type of fly, isn't it?
Isn't Chi Chi the nickname of one of the players for that new minor league baseball team?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,977,412 times
No "Chi Chi" is a dance we learned back in middle school.

Isn't it also one of those drinks in a coconut with a little umbrella?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,738,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Isn't it also one of those drinks in a coconut with a little umbrella?
Not sure about the "in a coconut" part -- I always thought it was served in a red wine glass with a piece of pineapple as a garnish.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,866,869 times
I miss Chi Chis-no good mexican food since they went out of business. Not that Chi chis had good mexican food...

I think parts of Chevy Chase, MD and Great Falls, VA could be considered "chi chi".

Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,050,530 times
I heard Charo really likes to shake her chi chis.

If you want showy/pretentious/trendy, I think the most likely contender for chi chi would be some of the horse estates around Middleburg and Upperville. The ones snapped up by Hollywood celebrities over last decade. Maybe that would be rural chi chi? Or, "chi chi in the country."

Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,050,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
So normie, now that I've won, what are ya giving out?
Uh oh, you mean I've got to actually come up with an award now?

Hmmmm, let's see...

I can give you a rep point. Also a thumbs up and a smile. Not exactly chi chi, but there you go. If I gave out chi chi awards, how would I ever be able to save up for my chi chi house in Upperville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia