Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,758,603 times

Advertisements

Other than the famous WWII decoy airfield area (I'm forgetting the exact name/location atm), does anyone know if there are any deserted, abandoned, or "ghost town" areas, that might be fun, to check out in NOVA, or thereabouts? ROVA could also be included if there's nothing else in NOVA, but preferably NOVA, if at all possible? I tried doing some web research myself earlier on this subject, but wasn't able to find too much on it, other than the faux-airfield, which if I am remembering correctly, is apparently no longer accessible to the public, as it is now owned by a private company

(For that matter...also are there any "ghost roads", also? Meaning, road areas that are still standing, but have been taken out of circulation?)

Just thinking that exploring some of these, if available, might make for sort of a fun day trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

461 posts, read 909,580 times
I don't think the public is allowed there, but the Remy Tomb is supposed to be very cool. What about the Nike missile site in Great Falls. Just a park, but the silos are kind of interesting. On the south? side of Prince William Forest Park there are old CCC (or that era anyway) cabins. They might get torn down so go soon.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,758,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I don't think the public is allowed there, but the Remy Tomb is supposed to be very cool. What about the Nike missile site in Great Falls. Just a park, but the silos are kind of interesting. On the south? side of Prince William Forest Park there are old CCC (or that era anyway) cabins. They might get torn down so go soon.
Many thanks for the helpful suggestions FairfaxGuy73! All of the above certainly sound interesting...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
There used to be some old barns and small roads in Loudoun Co, along the bike trail near Rte 28 roughly parallel to Waxpool Rd. This was before Ashburn, Landsdown and other parts were built up.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM

87 posts, read 337,991 times
There's a lot of abandoned places in the DC area - hospitals, buildings, heck even Lorton Prison. A good portion of the time the only access you can get is illegally, but then again most land is owned by someone and you are trespassing.

I haven't been anywhere recently, but I used to do a lot of urban exploration a few years ago. There's forums dedicated to it (like UER), and some have databases of sites.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
There are some web sites dedicated to ghost towns/ruins, with listings by state... in case you haven't seen those.

Apparently the best are out West, many in the East are all but completely covered up.

Watch your step!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
This thread got me looking into NOVA history because I remembered the ruins of Story Book Land in Lorton, and I found information on the Remey Mausoleum which I'd never heard of and sounded fascinating.

NorVApics.com :: View topic - Remey Mausoleum/Crypts/Tomb/Mausoleum

Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
Springfield Mall .

Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM

461 posts, read 909,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoie View Post
There's a lot of abandoned places in the DC area - hospitals, buildings, heck even Lorton Prison. A good portion of the time the only access you can get is illegally, but then again most land is owned by someone and you are trespassing.

I haven't been anywhere recently, but I used to do a lot of urban exploration a few years ago. There's forums dedicated to it (like UER), and some have databases of sites.
Yeah, wandering around the eastern part of DC can be pretty cool for those with the nerve. You don't just get attacked like you think (don't look scared though or you'll get eaten alive) and there are a lot of abandoned places. Nice houses and lots of shops just empty. One way to start is at Eastern Market where it has gentrified and go from there, taking you risks as you choose, or maybe do some research and find so nice old places to explore.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM

87 posts, read 337,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Yeah, wandering around the eastern part of DC can be pretty cool for those with the nerve. You don't just get attacked like you think (don't look scared though or you'll get eaten alive) and there are a lot of abandoned places. Nice houses and lots of shops just empty. One way to start is at Eastern Market where it has gentrified and go from there, taking you risks as you choose, or maybe do some research and find so nice old places to explore.
Been to Glendale Hospital? It's a neat visit in the MD side if you are looking for something. If Chestnut Lodge was still around, I'd recommend it.

There's a house out in Paeonian Springs, VA that is amazing. Haven't been there for a few years, but I bet it's still there. Used to be called the glass house - lots of windows, and construction was never finished on it. Amazing place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia