Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM

93 posts, read 273,479 times

Advertisements

Hello all, thank you in advance for your help. I am researching a little town called Aldie. I see it's proximity to Dulles airport is too close to not ask the obvious, is anyone aware of known issues / complaints with respect to aircraft noise in this area. I know there will be aircraft some of the time, I think it is impossible to be so close and not hear a plane every now and then. However, I have been in some cities where the volume was brutal. So if any one has any knowledge, please school me.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:43 AM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
I think it depends on where in Aldie, but I have no problem with it at all and I live here. It really is not bad at all. I think you should check the airport noise contour map of Dulles Airport to confirm this. Google it.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 PM

112 posts, read 851,801 times
Without knowing the exact location or community within Aldie, it's hard to say how bad the noise levels can be. I'm within the same flight pattern and if you're inside with the windows close, you can definitely hear it but it's not a big nuisance. However if you were outside and a large one passes over, you will have to pause your conversation. Depending on the wind direction, some days there's an occasional flight overhead and others days there's a few every hour but it's never continuous noise. Nothing you would lose sleep over unless you had very sensitive hearing. I think it's better living out in this direction compared to Brambleton since I've seen some planes flying not much higher than a kite on more than one occasion. But to be honest, noise overall is very subjective. If you think it might be of concern, just plan a walk in the community to hear for yourself. Or just park your car and have lunch with your windows cracked and see if the noise bothers you.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 PM

47 posts, read 162,849 times
We're currently in the process of buying a home in Aldie and had originally ruled it out because of its proximity to Dulles. However, after more research of the area we decided it was the best choice. We've been there many times looking at homes and it's been a rare occasion that I've noticed a plane overhead. Could be that different parts of Aldie are louder than others, but I've never noticed it. Hope that helps!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM

93 posts, read 273,479 times
Default What about the area in general traffic / amenities et al

I know Aldie is rural compared to areas east of it, but, are there grocery stores, hospitals, parks and things of this ilk close enough so that I am not driving 15 minutes for a gallon of milk?

Thank you

Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 AM

Absolutely, there is a community called Stone Ridge in Aldie which has a pretty big shopping center with everything you need: Harris Teeter grocery store, Walgreens, coffee shop, restaurants, ABC store, etc....Even more is another few miles down the road towards South Riding - there is a Home Depot, Giant, several restaurants, etc.. Much more retail is planned for the area in 2009/2010 but I'm not sure if the plans are on hold due to the economy.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM

85 posts, read 249,817 times
Does anyone know what high school children from Aldie attend? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Right now it is Freedom High in South Riding. They are planning to build another one in this area though in the next few years, they are scouting locations now.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 PM

85 posts, read 249,817 times
Thank you! Do you know anything about Freedom High?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia