Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 20,870 times

Advertisements

How is the aircraft noise in Northern Virginia?

I am particularly wondering about the situation in: Centreville, Manassas, Reston, Merrifield, Tysons Corner and Leesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I live in Reston, which is just a stone's throw away from Dulles International Airport, and the aircraft noise doesn't bother me. Very rarely do I ever hear the planes indoors, and judging from when I was gazing upwards at the sky the other night watching the planes a flight-path seems to go right over my neighbohood. I never even gave the airport a second thought when moving here.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

257 posts, read 565,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzlein View Post

I am particularly wondering about the situation in: Centreville, Manassas, Reston, Merrifield, Tysons Corner and Leesburg.
Airplanes have gotten rather quiet in the last several years... I think airport noise is mostly a straw man argument these days. My office is *next* to Dulles airport, under an approach path to the east runway, and I hardly hear the planes. Most of the time I forget that I work next to an airport.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,283 times
I suspect you have to deal with this on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. The only way to really know is to go to a neighborhood you are considering at various times of the day and judge for yourself.

I am very "allergic" to airplane noise myself. However, if my experience is any guide, a lot of people get used to it. I've had people tell me there isnt airplane noise in the neighborhood only to hear it within the next five minutes.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Are there really any major cities where you never hear even the slightest faint airplane noise?

Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
I live in Herndon literally beside Dulles and I hear airplanes very seldom. Now I do hear traffic noise from time to time!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 PM

190 posts, read 684,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I live in Herndon literally beside Dulles and I hear airplanes very seldom. Now I do hear traffic noise from time to time!
Yeah, when we lived in Herndon, right by the airport (Dulles Greene), we didn't hear them as much as we do now in Ashburn. And surprisingly enough, I remember hearing planes when we lived in Fairfax. But honestly, if you keep the windows closed, you shouldn't hear a thing, which is surprising, considering how busy that airport is. Unlike say, LAX, where there are residences right outside of the gate, Dulles is mostly surrounded by light industrial and office parks, and the nearest residences are at least a quarter mile from the runways, if not more.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,510 times
Parts of Ashburn and Brambleton get a lot of loud airplane noise during takeoff and approach. It depends on where you are on the flight path. When the new runway opened it really increased air traffic noise in my area during landings because we're right in line with the runway and within 10 miles of the airport. The planes fly at a fairly low altitude directly over my neighborhood. Even with the windows closed some of the planes are loud enough that you can't hear the TV (I know that sounds like a stupid little thing but it gives an idea of the noise level).

On the other hand, other places close to the airport have less noise, probably due to different flight paths. If your house is aligned with a runway you'll probably get some noise.

Loudoun County's Assessment and Parcel Database (http://inter1.loudoun.gov/taxadmin/webpdbs2008/disclaimer.aspx - broken link) has options to view airplane noise data. It also includes a lot of other useful information that is helpful for people researching potential home buying locations.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzlein View Post

I'm in Merrified and I have some airplane noise and a LOT of helicopter noise, usually between 4-10 pm, The helicopters travel regularly in twos so it can get very loud with the walls shaking a bit. My toddler loves it. It doesn't bother me. We had border patrol/police copters in San Diego quite frequently so I'm used to it.
I can't hear the Beltway unless I am up in the middle of the night and then its more like quiet white noise. There is a ton of construction at Lee Hwy/Gallows and they are running 24/7 so there are some nights when they are running Pilling Drivers at 3 am and it wakes me briefly.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,533 times
Centreville is particularly bad, as it's right under the two parallel north/south runways approach to IAD. Used to sit out on the deck and be able to identify the size and livery of the airlines. The noise isn't that noticeablde inside, but outside you know they are coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia