Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:10 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Oh my, it's gorgeous today! The air is clean, crisp, and clear. Out in Loudoun we even have a few trees with a hint of fall color. We went kayaking on the Potomac this morning, and saw deer, raccoons, and foxes. We saw so many herons I wondered if they were having a heron convention.

It was so awesome to paddle up right behind herons sunning on a rock, and then watch them spread their majestic wings and take off. And of course autumn on the Potomac means you see migrating birds and flocks of geese.

If you're new to Virginia and wondering what's a wonderful, local thing to do you've got to try out kayaking. We live along a beautiful river--get out there and see for yourself!

You can rent kayaks at Riverbend Park for $15/2 hours. I think they may want you to take an introductory class first (they used to have these weekly, don't know if that's still the policy). Many sporting goods stores rent them (and will put the rental fee towards buying a kayak if you fall in love with the sport). Or you can rent kayaks closer to downtown and paddle by the monuments and Teddy Roosevelt Island. Another good place is Beaverdam Reservoir in Ashburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:09 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
Is there any place closer to down town you would recommend putting our kayaks in?
We have only had them out once since moving here last year and want to fiind some good places to go.
Thanks!!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:12 PM

395 posts, read 523,533 times
BRRRRR. Its too cold today to do anything. And Im a native, lol

Old 09-20-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Is there any place closer to down town you would recommend putting our kayaks in?
We have only had them out once since moving here last year and want to fiind some good places to go.
Thanks!!
I'm not absolutely certain, but I've heard you can park near Teddy Roosevelt Island and put in there. I would drive by the parking area and check it out first, though. There's also a place called Thompson Boathouse that rents kayaks--you could call and ask them if you could launch there.

Alexandria might have some good sites. I'd contact their Chamber of Commerce, they're very helpful.

There are also a number of websites for Northern Virginia kayak enthusiasts that would have suggestions. I would either try using google, or you might get some info at REI or Eastern Mountain Sports.

By the way.... if you go to Eastern Mountain Sports (near Waxpool and Rt. 28, across from Wegmans) be sure to stop in Wegmans and get a sub sandwich. They make some of the best sandwiches around.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Not close to downtown--but it's worth it to drive out to Annapolis if you have kayaks. Also, Mason Neck park is a little bit of a drive (for me, anyway), but it has a lot of wildlife and is particularly nice at this time of year.

If you're really good you can try taking on the falls at Great Falls National Park. But I would go there first and watch other people try it. BTW, if you have never been to this park, it's a kick to go to the overlooks and watch the kayakers. They're nuts!!!! Here are some photos, to show what I mean:

Last edited by normie; 09-20-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas Norme. We went to Great Falls around this time last year to go for a hike and check out the kayaking.. The hiking was great but the kayaking was way over our head!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Thanks The hiking was great but the kayaking was way over our head!
LOL, me too. If I tried Great Falls I'd be in way over my head and upside down to boot!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 PM

43 posts, read 214,720 times
Default Kayaking in DC

Yes, I second that, it's a wonderful thing to do and the wildlife so close to the city is amazing. To irisheyes: you're looking to rent kayaks close to downtown? Not a problem, there are two places one to the left, one to the right of Key Bridge - you can practically see them both when you are standing on Key Bridge and looking towards Georgetown (one is by the Georgetown waterfront), they are very similiar in price (reasonable, forgot the exact amount), and I think you could also put your own kayaks in at the same places... Enjoy the gorgeous weather everyone!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 AM

Has anyone ever tried kayaking in Lake Anne? Do they allow the general public there, or is it for association members only?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Yes, I second that, it's a wonderful thing to do and the wildlife so close to the city is amazing. To irisheyes: you're looking to rent kayaks close to downtown? Not a problem, there are two places one to the left, one to the right of Key Bridge - you can practically see them both when you are standing on Key Bridge and looking towards Georgetown (one is by the Georgetown waterfront), they are very similiar in price (reasonable, forgot the exact amount), and I think you could also put your own kayaks in at the same places... Enjoy the gorgeous weather everyone!
Thanks Tee11. We have our won kayaks so are looking for reasonably close places to put them in. We will check these out.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia