Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,210 times

Advertisements

Moving to DC area for a new job. I have an 11 and 14 year old and need to know the best school district. Willing to take longer commute, but would rather not if possible. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,250,251 times
There are a lot of really great school districts in the area - and much debate on what is the best. To help you out we need to know if you are looking to buy or rent and your budget. We also need to know your defination of "longer commute." To some that is 30 minutes to others it is 60 or 90 minutes.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
And where "in the DC area" is your job?
School districts here are large. With a few exceptions, the districts are county-wide.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,971 times
This list may help you: https://www.city-data.com/forum/15887985-post32.html

The one at the top (TJ) is a math-science magnet that kids have to test into.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,280 times
OP, if you want I can get you the scores for Montgomery County and Prince George's County as well.

Agreed, we need to know where your job is, if your spouse is present/working, and what your budget is. (Also if you want a SFH, whether you're ok with your kids sharing a bedroom, etc.)

Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you for helping. My job is down town DC. I am a single father of three ( one in college, 11, 14 YO) and I raise them alone. I have been doing this for 10 years now so,,,,, lets just say I have a few bugs worked out... I am still a dude and well.. say no more.

My standard for education is the MN school systems, but also worth noting I just spent three years in Dallas... My kids are all top producers ( that comes from their mom ) and do well in any situation. I prefer that opportunities exist in challenging AP classes and the Arts. I prefer a school where the parents are engaged and test scores are strong.

My commute time limit would be 1.5 hours.

I have now run out of time so I will post this now and come back to provide more later.

On, I have a relocation package that allows me time to make the decision and I am looking to stay around 2k / month and a TH or SFH if possible....

Thank you all for your help!

Mr. Smith

Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM

25 posts, read 84,712 times
I haven't kept up with all the Counties in NOVA, however I can give you an overview of Prince William County as I have lived here for over 30 years. In general PWC Schools are comprised of 3 school districts; Eastern, Central, and Western. The County was re-districted in May of this year I believe, so I don't know how current boundaries have changed regarding the School Districts proper.

Based upon 2009/2010 School year (2010/2011 School data is not availble currently):

PWC Schools: Ranked 45th overall in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
All Districts have magnet programs for Middle and Elementary Schools: Math and Science program, International Baccalaureate program, World Languages program, and a few have the Single Gender Classroom Program. All Districts have SIGNET (Gifted/Talented) programs.

Highest Ranked Elementary Schools: (SOL Scores)
#1 Belmont Elementary, Mathematics and Science Primary Years Program
#2 Oldbridge Elementary, School of Excellence 11 years running, World Languages Primary Years Program.
#2 (Tie) Westridge Elementary School of Excellence
#3 Mountain View Elementary School of Excellence

Highest Ranked Middle Schools: (SOL Scores)
#1 Gainesville Middle
#2 Bull Run Middle
#3 Louise A. Benton Middle
#4 Lake Ridge Middle, M.S. World Language Program

High Schools: AP programs are available in all.
High School magnet programs include: International Baccalaureate Program,
Fine and Performing Arts Program, Environmental and Natural Sciences
program, Information Technology program, and a couple more I can't remember
off the top of my head.

Highest Ranked High Schools: (SOL Scores)
#1 Battlefield High
#2 (All tied) C.D. Hylton, Forest Park High, Osborn High
#3 Brentsville High
#4 Potomac High

The Cons:

Unfortunately PWCS has a long established reputation for poorly addressing the needs of Special Ed students, and there is certainly room for improvement in this regard. PWCS Special Education Program (should you need Special Education services) is notorious for giving parents and their special needs children the royal run around. If your family is in need of Special Ed. services, be prepared to become an expert in Educational Advocacy, or hire one for your children's IEP and/or 504 needs. Learn the Federal IDEA Laws, as you will personally have to force PWC Schools to abide by them pretty much on a daily basis during the school year.

If you don't take control of these matters personally and expertly, the County is always more than willing to cut corners with your children's needs and/or accommodations. Never accept the excuse of "Budget" on the part of the School's in the County. It is against Federal Law to deny or restrict Special Education services/accommodations covered under the IDEA Act solely on the excuse and reasoning of Budget Issues. This falls directly under the guarantee of "A free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment" of the IDEA Act.

PWC in general has an illegal immigration problem, however the County has been addressing the problem and has made substantial strides in getting it under control. There is a down side to that as well; the County has a large Foreclosure/Short Sale Real Estate Market at the moment. This of course has resulted in bringing property values down to rock-bottom lows and many home owners are upside-down in their home's equity. The dramatic loss of property values was primarily caused by illegal immigrants abandoning their homes in a mass exodus, leaving the County, and allowed the Banks to foreclose on them when the County cracked down. Granted, the whole Real Estate Bubble exploding in epic proportions didn't help matters, but it was not the primary cause of property value loss in the County.

Real Estate Prices: Even with the above taken into account, newly built homes in the County are demanding a premium price and are ranging from $200K up on average. However, there are many older homes (built throughout the 50's and into the 90's) that are reasonably priced for their age averaging from about $140K and up. Likewise, with all the Foreclosures and Short Sales in the County, there is a good chance you can get other Real Estate deals.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this into a a long Essay....LOL!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
Thank you for helping. My job is down town DC. I am a single father of three ( one in college, 11, 14 YO) and I raise them alone. I have been doing this for 10 years now so,,,,, lets just say I have a few bugs worked out... I am still a dude and well.. say no more.

My standard for education is the MN school systems, but also worth noting I just spent three years in Dallas... My kids are all top producers ( that comes from their mom ) and do well in any situation. I prefer that opportunities exist in challenging AP classes and the Arts. I prefer a school where the parents are engaged and test scores are strong.

My commute time limit would be 1.5 hours.

I have now run out of time so I will post this now and come back to provide more later.

On, I have a relocation package that allows me time to make the decision and I am looking to stay around 2k / month and a TH or SFH if possible....

Thank you all for your help!

Mr. Smith
I'd be looking at THs and SFHs in the Marshall or Woodson school zones in Fairfax County.

If newness or house size are paramount then look to Loudoun County (barring Park View HS zone) or western Prince William County (Battlefield, Brentsville, or Osbourn Park HS zones.)

Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Thank you for the information. It is proving to be extremely helpful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia