Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,226,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The Occoquan River is a great place to kayak. My wife and I got our kayaks in July, and one of our favorite places to go is Fountainhead Regional Park (http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/fountainhead/ - broken link) (Fairfax County).
I've always like Fountainhead, and even more so since you posted your photos. Lots of birds and wildlife there.

BTW, if you want something fun to watch check out the skulling races at nearby Sandy Run park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM

32,639 posts, read 77,970,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Sounds like you found a good deal. If you want to try kayaking on the river next spring, the best deal may be at Riverbend Park. You have to take a class first (which costs about $35 and includes a guided river tour). Then, once they know that you know the basics rentals are $15 for 2-3 hours. Riverbend includes riffles, islands, coves, and interesting landmark on the MD side, and lots of nesting birds. But the season is coming to a close there (which is a shame because some of the best kayaking is in October and November, IMO).
I was actually already on the Potomac last Saturday for the first time, Normie. A few friends and I rented kayaks from the Thompson Boat Center in Georgetown and paddled up above the Key Bridge. One of my male companions, feeling adventurous, dove into the water, so we just sort of parked ourselves for a while, soaking up the sun, and enjoying the camaraderies from all of the other boats around us. My allergies are horrific again today or else I'd head back here again to paddle further upriver.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,061,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I was actually already on the Potomac last Saturday for the first time, Normie. A few friends and I rented kayaks from the Thompson Boat Center in Georgetown and paddled up above the Key Bridge. One of my male companions, feeling adventurous, dove into the water, so we just sort of parked ourselves for a while, soaking up the sun, and enjoying the camaraderies from all of the other boats around us. My allergies are horrific again today or else I'd head back here again to paddle further upriver.
Sounds like a fun time. Someday, you should also try the areas upriver, away from DC. They have more rocks, riffles, rapids, and wildlife (especially if you go very early in the morning). A good place to start is Riverbend, where the riffles are easy-mildly moderate.

BTW, I'm really glad you had fun but diving into the water from a kayak is not smart.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,061,017 times
BTW, a tip of the hat to Hurricane Earl for giving us this most gorgeous holiday weekend.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM

32,639 posts, read 77,970,204 times
Quote:
BTW, I'm really glad you had fun but diving into the water from a kayak is not smart.
Meh. I wasn't exactly in the presence of the "smartest" company. LOL!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,229,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I was actually already on the Potomac last Saturday for the first time, Normie. A few friends and I rented kayaks from the Thompson Boat Center in Georgetown and paddled up above the Key Bridge ...
I don't have a kayak but a 1970's 16' Old Town Royalex canoe. No keel and low gunnels so it's pretty maneuverable. Weighs 65lbs so it's easy for one to handle, it's a neat boat I like to launch at Thompson's and go upstream to Chain Bridge which traverses a choke point in the river. Because of the narrow space, the water is moving at very high speed. The first time I did this I got to the bridge and was really digging into the water with a wide beaver tail paddle, rapid, deep strong strokes and was haulin' a*s with regards to the water. But then looked up and saw a puzzled fisherman about twenty feet away on the shore. He was watching my heavy efforts and with regards to him I was not moving

One of the most important canoe lessons I learned is always go upstream first Like others here I enjoy Bull Run Marina and Fountainhead Park. The Occoquan is not so swift here so one can enjoy a round trip from either place. And I have charmed more than a few gals by packing a gourmet lunch and taking them for a cruise from Burke Lake's marina along the shoreline and around the island in the middle of the lake. Great place!!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
And I have charmed more than a few gals by packing a gourmet lunch and taking them for a cruise from Burke Lake's marina along the shoreline and around the island in the middle of the lake. Great place!!
LOL, that was one of the first things my dh did back when we were first going out and you're absolutely right--it's a surprisingly effective way to charm a date. (Worked on me, anyway. )

And here's the killer touch--put a bud vase and a single rose into the cup holder. Ridiculous? Yes. Goofy? You bet. And 100% charming.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM

373 posts, read 825,026 times
Quote:
BTW, a tip of the hat to Hurricane Earl for giving us this most gorgeous holiday weekend.
No kayak but I loved this weekend. Dog and I took did about five miles on several walks each day. If this weather keeps up, I might lose some of the "3 scoops for $3" Ben & Jerry's weight I gained over the summer .

Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
No kayak but I loved this weekend. Dog and I took did about five miles on several walks each day.
Where did you walk? I love walking this time of year and I'm looking for some new places to try.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 AM

By the way, if you're interested in buying kayak equipment Eastern Mountain Sports has a huge sale right around this time of year. They sell off all the kayaking equipment they used in tours and demos the year before. You can get some incredible deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia