Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

Im going down to NoVa (from philly) next week to find a place to live. I will be working in falls church, right where the beltway and rt 50 cross. I would love to hear what people think about 1) potential areas to live and 2) individual apt complexes.

Price range: $1500 - 2000
1-2 BRs

I must be able to have 2 cats, be able to have reliable parking (space, lot, or garage...no street parking only), a w/d in unit and the shorter the commute the better. (no more than 30 mins).

Im very flexible and I would enjoy the 'city' life as well as being in a more quite suburb (im from jersey so Im used to densly populated suburbs). Specifically, i plan to look at Arlington (Ballston, Clarendon), Alexadria, and the Falls church area of FFX county. Other than the places that have internet sites I have no idea where to start looking. Even after looking through rent.com and other sites I still have about 50 places I cant decide between.

Could people please tell me where they live and if they like it / hate it? Also could you tell me some places that would be worth checking out when im down there?

I really appreciate the time people take to answer questions on this forum. God Bless!
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,763,391 times
It's not that close, but I lived in Alexandria near 395 and loved it there. We lived in Archstone Newport Village, which was a good experience. You can have the cats (I had one), although there is a fee and pet rent. In all honesty, I didn't bother paying the fee/rent. Enough people live there with animals that it was easy to get by without getting caught. I also have friends living in Foxchase (5 minutes from Archstone) who love it. It's cheaper than Archstone, but the places are pretty nice. Certain buildings allow pets, but I'm not sure what fees and all would apply. Both of these places include parking and have buses or shuttles to the metro stations. As for the commute, it'd be closer to 30 minutes in the morning, but it probably wouldn't be too bad. The only thing I'd really advise is not taking 395S to 495, it'll put you through the mixing bowl at Springfield which can be pure hell.

There's also other complexes near there that seemed nice, although I don't have any firsthand experience. It's a great location, very easy to get most places by car (Old Town 10-15 minutes, DC 15 minutes, Shirlington 5 minutes, Pentagon City 10 minutes, N. Arlington 15 minutes).

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM

12 posts, read 28,511 times
There are some shady spots right about where you are looking, a few miles in either direction you can probably find something nicer for the money.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM

822 posts, read 3,017,137 times
I've lived in 3 complexes: Courtland Towers (Arlington; courthouse metro); Meridian at Courthouse (Courthouse metro) and Lillian Court in Tysons, where I still own a unit (a condo). Courtland Towers was fine - perfect, definitely a "luxury" place, but just sort of "a place to sleep while you are working like crazy in the city"; the Meridian was fancy and extremely nice; Lillian Court is a condominium, requires a drive to the metro, but fancy and extremely nice. You might like something like the Ballston metro area in Arlington which is a couple of additional stops; not sure what apartments are at the Clarendon metro, but that might be good. I'm just giving you what is called the "Orange" line. If I had to do it over again I'd try to find something older and elegant in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia