Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,924,491 times

Advertisements

from what friends have told me most of the bases Army and Airforce have waiting lists for housing.

When the plans came out for the new hospital etc... my thought was WHERE are all these folks going to live? (who will be working in that big new hosp) The govt needs to put more housing on the posts in the area, the cost of living is wayyy to high for most officers let alone the enlisted that make up the core of the military. With sooo many military jobs in the area it really is a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM

22 posts, read 69,023 times
Thank you for your insite...and I really do need to scout these places out before I put in for employment there.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Other possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
To be honest I don't think you will find anything suitable for a family of five for $200,000 that wouldn't be a miserable (and expensive) commute and leave you house-poor. What other areas would be possibilities for you?
My other possibles are other bases that have Civ Firefighters, and have not or will not have any negative touches from a BRAC list (job security), that was one reason we looked to this base.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
To be honest I don't think you will find anything suitable for a family of five for $200,000 that wouldn't be a miserable (and expensive) commute and leave you house-poor. What other areas would be possibilities for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Are you active duty military? I went on Ft Belvoir yesterday to get a new retiree ID card and was absolutely blown away with the changes that have taken place on the base. I had not been there for over a year. They have torn down all the old base housing and built new houses. They are very impressive for base housing! I couldn't believe I was on a miitary base!! Kudos to the Army for providing really nice housing for it's troops! If you are active duty and plan to move to the area, I certainly would see if base housing is a possibility. A new hospital is being built on the base as well.
No, I sorry but I am a Military brat that has never been in the Service, but have worked almost my entire Career as a DOD Firefighter so I am limited to what bases I can transfer to. It sound wonderful about the base coming alive, and my parents can benifit from the Hospital as well...(My Da is a 27 year SMSgt Retired).

Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,594 times
What kind of square footage are you looking for?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

At least 1500 sq, would be good.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,165,185 times
Shelly -

There are lots of other military installations in VA to look at. You might want to check AP Hill (Caroline County), Ft. Lee (Petersburg/Colonial Heights area) and Ft. Pickett (Blackstone), although Ft. Pickett was on the BRAC list and transferred over to the VA National Guard. So I am not sure if those firefighters are state or federal, but I do know they are civilian. Any of these would probably be doable in the price range of homes you are looking for, but to keep a good school district, focus on Ft. Lee (Prince George, Dinwiddie, Colonial Heights and parts of Chesterfield) and Pickett (Nottoway County).

There are also tons of installations in the beach area, so you may want to post on the Richmond and general VA sections to, to see what comes up.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,445 times
Hi, not to jump in and pollute the water with another question, but are there any small, affordable rentals within driving distance of Fort B? I have been a job with the Fed. gov't, and coming from Georgia, I am absolutely mind boggled at the price of housing. I am a single, older adult and could survive with a small one bedroom apt. until I sell my home in Atlanta, but am finding even those are running over a thousand dollars a month. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ck

Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM

15,185 posts, read 27,998,924 times
That's what they cost in the area (at the least....) - sorry.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,372,337 times
You might be able to rent a room in someone's house for less. Check Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia