Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,915 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Fort Belvoir from Texas in July. I've been reading through some of the posts and I am still unsure of what neighborhoods I should be looking at that would best fit my family.

I have two daughters who are in elementary school and quality schools are very important to me as well as a safe neighborhood. We currently live on post in Texas and enjoy the security it brings. I called Fort Belvoir and it will be at least a 9-12 month wait for a home on post.

I am still up in the air on whether or not I will be buying or renting. That will be determined when I get there and visit potential homes. I would prefer to have the neighborhoods narrowed down to save on time. My price range is $325,000 or $2300/month. I know there will be a commute no matter where I live, but I would like to keep it at 30 minutes max. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjamari View Post
My family and I will be moving to Fort Belvoir from Texas in July. I've been reading through some of the posts and I am still unsure of what neighborhoods I should be looking at that would best fit my family.

I have two daughters who are in elementary school and quality schools are very important to me as well as a safe neighborhood. We currently live on post in Texas and enjoy the security it brings. I called Fort Belvoir and it will be at least a 9-12 month wait for a home on post.

I am still up in the air on whether or not I will be buying or renting. That will be determined when I get there and visit potential homes. I would prefer to have the neighborhoods narrowed down to save on time. My price range is $325,000 or $2300/month. I know there will be a commute no matter where I live, but I would like to keep it at 30 minutes max. Any help is appreciated!
My suggestions are zip codes 22315, 22310, Springfield, or Burke.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM

53 posts, read 171,713 times
Burke is nice. I live in Newington Forest and there are a lot of military families. Cardinal Forest also has a lot of military families, but is a little further out. What areas have you researched? Maybe someone here can give you the 'inside scoop'!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
I'll second what Alanboy said. Those are all nice areas with a reasonable commute within your price range. You'd most likely be in a townhouse rather than single family but it would be worth it to keep your commute sane.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM

17 posts, read 65,744 times
Greetings!

My husband and I live in 22153 which is Springfield. It is almost at the bottom of Springfield near Lorton. We live in a great townhouse neighborhood in an end unit. We have the trees that back to us and we are really close to the highway. It takes my husband about 20 mins to get to Fort Belvoir and he has the option of taking three different routes, depending on which gate he exits. He never has to deal with traffic and everything is close by. If you live in Springfield, you are close to everything, but you still feel like you are in the suburbs.

Also try 22152, it is the West Springfield area. Springfield is huge, but you want to stick in those two neighborhoods. Stay away from the Backlick area and the area around the Springfield mall. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 AM

12 posts, read 58,388 times
This is for all the military considering living on Fort Belvior. We spent time trying to decide whether or not to buy/rent a house in the area or live on Fort Belvior.

We called the housing office several times (from overseas) to get info about the housing on Fort Belvior and it wasn't until I went in person that they told me what was going on. Apparently the elementary school on Fort Belvior is very crowded. Also, if you choose to be placed on the waiting list, your children cannot attend school on post until your name is called. (Call the school directly to confirm this though.) So you will have to enroll your kids in another school and then potentially pull them out mid year, just to live on post. They used to give people who had 1 more month to wait a waiver (so their kids could start school on post) but the lady I spoke to wasn't sure if they still did that or not.

FYI, the 5 BR housing in the Lt Colonel area had a 6-9 month wait. The Colonel/General Housing had a 9-12 month wait. This information was gathered directly from the housing office 4/09.
Leah

Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatingfromthesource View Post
This is for all the military considering living on Fort Belvior. We spent time trying to decide whether or not to buy/rent a house in the area or live on Fort Belvior.

We called the housing office several times (from overseas) to get info about the housing on Fort Belvior and it wasn't until I went in person that they told me what was going on. Apparently the elementary school on Fort Belvior is very crowded. Also, if you choose to be placed on the waiting list, your children cannot attend school on post until your name is called. (Call the school directly to confirm this though.) So you will have to enroll your kids in another school and then potentially pull them out mid year, just to live on post. They used to give people who had 1 more month to wait a waiver (so their kids could start school on post) but the lady I spoke to wasn't sure if they still did that or not.

FYI, the 5 BR housing in the Lt Colonel area had a 6-9 month wait. The Colonel/General Housing had a 9-12 month wait. This information was gathered directly from the housing office 4/09.
Leah
Do you mean with respect to housing/schools on the Base, or you mean something else ??

Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 AM

32 posts, read 105,436 times
Try "historic" Newington (off of Telegraph Road), Raceway Farms, Mt. Air, Hayfield and other neighborhoods off of Telegraph Road.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,150 times
I have 3 dogs, older and well behaved, and 2 cats. Is it possible to rent in the area surrounding Fort Belvoir, with animals, or is buying a better idea with such a menagrie. What is the median price range for houses in that part of Virginia. I live on a ranch in Powell Butte Oregon, so having dogs is not a big deal here.

Looking to apply on a job at Fort Belvoir, but trying to find out the living arrangments first.

Thank you,

Mandy

Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDY LEE View Post
I have 3 dogs, older and well behaved, and 2 cats. Is it possible to rent in the area surrounding Fort Belvoir, with animals, or is buying a better idea with such a menagrie. What is the median price range for houses in that part of Virginia. I live on a ranch in Powell Butte Oregon, so having dogs is not a big deal here.

Looking to apply on a job at Fort Belvoir, but trying to find out the living arrangments first.

Thank you,

Mandy
Will you be working at Fort Belvoir or nearby? What is your preferred price range?

I would predict that housing will be a lot denser in Northern Virginia than what you're used to. Suburban sprawl is pretty considerable due to the job markets and high cost of living in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties as well as DC. You may find yourself looking due south in Prince William and Stafford Counties. For true acreage approaching a small ranch, Fauquier County (a very long commute to usual job centers) and western Loudoun County (very expensive due to restricted/slow housing growth) would be areas to consider as well.

EDIT: I just realized you're also wondering whether to rent or buy. I would predict that it may be difficult to convince an owner to allow so many animals on one property, particularly in Fairfax County. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong for your sake. As the general rule of thumb goes, if you feel you'll be in the area for at least five years then it may be worth it to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia