Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,283 times

Advertisements

It's the time old debate....Which do you prefer? I'm really leaning towards satellite, but I'm concerned with all the people who say it goes out in every storm. For those who have satellite, do you find that it goes out often or hardly ever? Also, which do you prefer Directtv or Dish? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:52 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,227 times
I have DirecTV and have had it for almost 8 years now. The only time my satelite goes out is when the storms are really bad and I probably shouldn't be watching TV anyway. The picture and sound is also 1000 times better than cable (IMO) and I have never had a problem with billing or customer service.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM

69 posts, read 256,606 times
7 year DirecTV subscriber here. Agree with everything said above. It has only gone out in major storms - maybe twice that I can recall.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM

87 posts, read 334,400 times
Dish network. Never gone out, no problems whatsoever.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 PM

The replies are very encouraging. I think I will stick with getting satellite. Seems most people are happy with their service.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 PM

173 posts, read 497,711 times
We have Verizon Fios TV. No service outage whatsoever. PQ is great. Previously, I had DISH and if I compare SD channels on both Fios TV is so much better. HD content is about the same on both. Ofcouse, you need to check if Fios is available in your area.

Thanks,

Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I have Comcast cable and it really sucks. We would get fios (we cant get satellite) but it is not available in Alexandria City. I would go FiOS over Satellite but avoid Comcast at all costs.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metclubin View Post
We have Verizon Fios TV. No service outage whatsoever. PQ is great. Previously, I had DISH and if I compare SD channels on both Fios TV is so much better. HD content is about the same on both. Ofcouse, you need to check if Fios is available in your area.

Thanks,
Unfortunately Fios is not available where I live. That was my first choice. The only cable provider in my area is Comcast and I haven't heard one positive comment about them yet. Even my own family has had a lot of problems with them. So it is either Comcast or satellite, so I'm pretty sure I'm going with satellite.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM

69 posts, read 256,606 times
Don't have FiOS TV, but I do have FiOS internet. I highly recommend it to anyone with the option.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have Comcast cable and it really sucks. We would get fios (we cant get satellite) but it is not available in Alexandria City. I would go FiOS over Satellite but avoid Comcast at all costs.
We have Comcast also and don't care for it. I REALLY want the Fios - those ads for a free TV, etc. are taunting me - LOL - Can't understand why it's not in Alex. City. I've been checking into DirectTV and Dish (we currently only have one t.v. in the living room on cable - but want another 2-4 rooms to get other channels other than the basic antenna ones, 4, 5, 7, 9, etc.) - I don't want to have to sign for those long contracts though and it seems there is always fine print for additional costs for connection, equipment, etc. I had previously posted in a thread asking about bundles. (Sorry O.P. didn't mean to take over your thread - so what do you recommend Alanboy? I assume if you can't get satellite I can't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia