Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 AM

246 posts, read 1,354,678 times

Advertisements

Just moved to a TH in Fairfax, VA and ordered Cox Cable self install. Does anyone know where the cable comes into the house??/ I have a greyish box on the side fo my backyard fence that has a ground cable going into it and then cable lines going out of it and into the walk-out basement room of my TH....is this how the cable gets in the house? Not sure as this setup is new to me. I am used to cable going straight in so seeing this box confused me. Is the box for Vios only, there are no markings on the box??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 AM

68 posts, read 222,525 times
Do you not have any coax jacks in the house? They might not be in all rooms but odds are there are at least a couple...As for the grey box that is usually the cable box and you shouldn't have to mess with that for a self install (some places the cable company keeps them locked so the consumer can't get into them -- they are the cable company's property). The self install is just you connecting the modem (or other cable components) to a coax jack, installing software, and turning everything on. If you don't have any jacks in the house you probably will need to get someone to install them unless you are comfortable running wires and cutting the wall.

Jim

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM

There are cable wires in the house that connects to the cable to the box. There aren't hardwire jacks (from the wall) as you speak of. I've seen "boxes" before and they were specific to VIOS.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 AM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
If you are going for self-install, Cox assumes that your house has Cox Cable coming into your house already. If this is not the case, you need to contact them and have them do an install.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM

I see cables coming from a grey box that is attached to my wooden fence and is coming into the house??....would that be it.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 AM

That may be, if you can't find any coaxial cable connectors in your house I recommend calling the cable company to come out and run the lines. If you do find a coaxial cable outlet, try plugging up your cable box to the outlet. If the time comes up on the box and you can change channels, you are good to go. Another option is try calling the cable company or previous owners and asking them if the lines were installed in the house. I do not recommend fiddling with the box or the lines going into the house, as they may be for something else entirely. It may also be that the previous install was done improperly and needs to be corrected which would explain the lack of jacks in the rest of the house and cable running free in the basement.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM

62 posts, read 263,018 times
I used to have Cox at my house before I switched to FIOS. I opened the Cox gray box and it just had 2 coax cables coming from the streets and 2 connectors to connect to house coax wiring. It does not have lock and I just left it open since it was protected from rain because it was under the deck.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Cox cable guy came out and realized there were no jacks....had to do some fishing which added to the cost. The guys who remodeled house before I purchased in shoved the cables between the walls or took them off the wall and never re-hooked the cable jacks back on the wall. I know there is one of three cable from the outside box going into the attic as I found the cable in the attic, but its going nowhere between the walls....what a bunch of stupid fools! The other two is going in the house. Of the two in the house, I got one hooked to the TV now, but the other one is shoved up into and wall and don't know where it wound up??

Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Sorry you had to pay more due to the previous owners, but happy it was resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia