Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM

494 posts, read 1,192,212 times

Advertisements

I think it's going to be a disaster. Right now, I commute on the Orange line and 1-2 times a week I can't get on the train b/c it's too full. (pretty much a rushhour commuter). I get on in VA square. Other times, people overload the train so much that the doors break and they have to offload the entire train.

A big bottleneck is also at Rosslyn, when we start sharing the tracks with the Blue line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we'll be sharing part of the track with the Silver line, right? I understand there is a proposal for a 3rd set of express rails, but that's just pie-in-the-sky. They aren't working on that.

Going home is not as bad usually, but sometimes it can be.

I may have to consider bicycling in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,970 times
Start Peddling!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
I know what you mean. One can develop a case of claustrophobia riding the orange line at rush hour.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,735 times
It should help, because the silver line will increase the amounts of trains on the tracks between East Falls and DC. My only wonder is why the Orange line doesnt use as many 8-car trains as the red line now. Also, I keep hearing about how the trains are going to be rerouted so that one of the lines will cross into DC at the current Yellow Line's bridge

Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,767 times
In terms of more trains sharing the same track, the Orange Line and Silver Line will indeed be on the same track from East Falls Church into the District. I believe, however, that Metro is considering rerouting some Blue Line trains so that, instead of all of them coming through Rosslyn, some will cross the Potomac via the Yellow Line bridge that will take them to L'Enfant Plaza.

As for crowding within the trains themselves, the Silver Line will probably help ease congestion on the Orange Line. A tremendous number of commuters (I know; I used to be one) currently take the Fairfax Connector from Reston and Herndon to West Falls Church, where they pour onto the Orange Line. I'm assuming that when the first phase of the Silver Line opens, all those bus routes will drop off commuters at the Silver Line's interim terminus at Wiehle Avenue in Reston, rather than bring them to West Falls. Presumably, therefore, that means less crowding on the Orange Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia