Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,758 times

Advertisements

No, I-66 absolutely must be 6 lanes inside the beltway, thru lanes, and 8 from the 267 merge to 237/Glebe Road.

-This will help get traffic to downtown ARL and Regan/DC. Not all traffic is going to the Roosevelt Bridge.

-The idea that HOT lanes at peak will be a solution is ABSURD. Nobody can be so stupid as to believe this.
-Ever seen 66 after HOV ends? On nights/weekends? How about 66 west in the AM and 66 east in the PM?

You'd see HOT is not a good solution without widening WHICH 66 inside the beltway ALREADY has enough median for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM

[quote=gomason;39305588]1) 66 East is 3 lanes from the beltway to the last exit in Fairfax County (69) and 66 West is 3 lanes from the first exit in Fairfax County (68) to the Dulles Toll Road. There really is no need to have three lanes on 66 west between the toll road and 495 because that's never congested unless traffic further west backs up for miles.

No, it is not 6 THRU lanes, after crossing the beltway it quickly merges to just 4 thru lanes, stupid.
Arlington is really full of it, they have no legal authority to interfere and I'd like to see a governor give ARL the finger and just plow through.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
There are these rails that run directly down the middle of 66, and I think a metro line runs on them. More people need to use it.
So they can be even more crowded?
So I can drive 14 miles to Vienna?

Here's a solution.
Fix 66 and metro.
Add capacity that fits a top 10 market instead of pretending we aren't.

Do both.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
HOV is free flowing outside of the peak-of-the-peak times around 8am and 5:30pm. It is an annoyance, not a life-changer.
I dont even know what youre saying but there is terrible traffic after HOV hours end so I dont think you know what youre talking about. There is regularly stopped traffic on 66 after 7 pm. Theres almost no other highway in the region where this is true.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I dont even know what youre saying but there is terrible traffic after HOV hours end so I dont think you know what youre talking about. There is regularly stopped traffic on 66 after 7 pm. Theres almost no other highway in the region where this is true.
But let's just force people to take metro on their weekend schedule or somehow find a bus to get to Georgetown. I can't stand these ivory tower liberals in ARL who are so ignorant.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 AM

540 posts, read 791,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
But let's just force people to take metro on their weekend schedule or somehow find a bus to get to Georgetown. I can't stand these ivory tower liberals in ARL who are so ignorant.
Induced demand. Look it up.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 AM

601 posts, read 593,238 times
Quote:
Because they paid a darn big premium to live where they do. Not sure how so many ignorant people are living in such expensive housing.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:10 AM

540 posts, read 791,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
My post was about HOV. Yours was about post-HOV. We aren't even talking about the same thing. I'm well aware that 66 eastbound from the 66/267 merge to the Sycamore entrance is congested. I suggested upthread a spot improvement encompassing that area to relieve some of the persistent congestion. But a wholesale 3/4 lane expressway to the bridge to help out the guy living in Haymarket drive his car to DC is a stupid move.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,678,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How long do handshake deals last? Isn't this one over 40 years old? I was a kid then.
Until another handshake deal alters or negates the previous handshake deal.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:13 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Those "ignorant" (maybe you meant "arrogant"?) Arlingtonians are pretty much the most well-educated and most literate denizens of the U.S. If they're paying an exorbitant premium for housing to live closer to the urban core and reduce their carbon footprints, then why SHOULD they be supportive of something that will be detrimental to their own quality-of-life so people who "don't want to drive 14 miles to Vienna to take the train..." can have an easier time expanding their own carbon footprint? Don't want to drive 14 miles to the train to not have to sit in traffic? Move closer! Period!

I swear sometimes I think JFromReston is the only "outside the Beltway" poster on here who isn't running around in a toga and pounding his chest screaming "CARS RULE! MANIFEST DESTINY!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia