Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM

529 posts, read 750,837 times

Advertisements

I have a 22 month old toddler who runs/stomps always except bed time and nap time.

But never after 10 pm or before 7 am. Apartment leasing office called us few times about this. Our downstairs neighbor also called cops couple of times. Cops were very nice and they said they could understand our situation, it's a toddler and he is being a toddler which is perfectly fine. Cops asked us to have a word with the neighbor and try to resolve ourselves. But I don't think this is going to be resolved like that.

Looks like now we are kind of forced to leave or move to some other apartment. We just moved here a few months ago and most likely will move out in the next few months once we buy our home late spring or summer time.

Few days back, apartment management people brought few contractors to do a floor testing and found something wrong with the concrete floor/studs relocated etc in the dinning area floor which causes more noise to the downstairs neighbor. And then they said the most ridiculous thing that my toddler's stomping/running caused this problem. BTW, he is 22 pounds.

Moving to another place is the only option we have now? Or Is it correct for the apartment people to ask us to move? Is there any law that protect us, a family with kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 AM

367 posts, read 884,774 times
Asked to be placed in a ground level unit.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Asked to be placed in a ground level unit.
They have only smaller units in ground level which is going to be very difficult. That's the option we are considering. Before I make a final decision, I am just checking here if anyone has any similar experience or better suggestion.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
My husband and I were the "downstairs" neighbor in a similar situation. The toddler ran around, stomped, jumped and yelled - sometimes, it seemed like the kid was coming through the ceiling. And then there were the tantrums the little guy threw in the middle of the night that would wake us up and keep us up (I suppose he had nightmares?).

It was extremely annoying, disruptive, and just drove us bonkers. However, we only vented to one another. We never complained to our neighbor, and we never complained to our landlord. We chalked it up to condo (or apartment) living and vowed we would never live underneath anyone ever again. I'm sure the running, stomping and jumping was typical toddler play but the acoustics of the building amplified it, and the noise carried very well.

Perhaps putting down some area rugs will help soften the noise. Even if you have carpet in your apartment, this will add an extra layer of padding. If you do move, be sure that you request a bottom floor apartment or you may have the same complaints wherever you go.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
It's a tough situation. I have a very young son and he likes to run around our townhouse main level, which is hardwood/tile. We try to keep him from doing it because I know the neighbors can hear it and we do our best but it's hard to control toddlers. They have so much energy. I sympathize with you, but I also sympathize with your neighbors because I lived in a condo long time ago and we had loud walkers above us, who is seemed like they stomped when they walked. I never said anything, it is condo living, but it's certainly annoying.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Thank you all.

I heard from the apartment people that this neighbor always complaints about their upstairs neighbor.
BTW, He complained to me after 15 minutes of first stepping into this apartment.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
It's obvious the cops aren't going to do anything, so you're in the clear with them. If I were you, I would have a frank discussion with the landlord. If the neighbor continues to complain, are they going to evict you?

I assume the landlord would be understanding because:

1.) The noise your toddler is making is to be expected, and is not unreasonable
2.) The landlord knows the neighbor is a complainer

If you're not in danger of being asked to leave, I would ignore the complaints and continue to live there until you buy a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Few days back, apartment management people brought few contractors to do a floor testing and found something wrong with the concrete floor/studs relocated etc in the dinning area floor which causes more noise to the downstairs neighbor. And then they said the most ridiculous thing that my toddler's stomping/running caused this problem. BTW, he is 22 pounds.
Did the contractors say this or the management people? Be careful that they don't take the cost to repair this from your security deposit.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
I lived in apartments for more than 20 years. The problem with apartment dwelling is that inevitably even just normal walking sounds like stomping to the person below. Regardless of your neighbor's being a chronic complainer on this topic, I can sympathize with him. I can only imagine what it sounds like listening to tiny energetic footsteps all day long. I learned early on to always take a top floor unit so that I wouldn't have to deal with this, and I always attempted to pad around barefoot when I was going to be home for a while.

I don't understand why the police responded to a noise complaint about a child during daytime/evening hours. That being said, I don't agree with the advice to ignore the complaints, which is frankly inconsiderate. Nor would I go to the opposite extreme and move if you are not ready to. That is an inconvenience and extra expense. Apartment managers have to deal with this issue all the time; surely they can ameliorate the situation and help find solutions that are good for everyone -- particularly since it sounds as though you are a temporary resident, anyway.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It's obvious the cops aren't going to do anything, so you're in the clear with them. If I were you, I would have a frank discussion with the landlord. If the neighbor continues to complain, are they going to evict you?

I assume the landlord would be understanding because:

1.) The noise your toddler is making is to be expected, and is not unreasonable
2.) The landlord knows the neighbor is a complainer

If you're not in danger of being asked to leave, I would ignore the complaints and continue to live there until you buy a home.

Did the contractors say this or the management people? Be careful that they don't take the cost to repair this from your security deposit.
When the management people told me, contractors were there too, in my apartment.

How is that even possible to damage concrete floor by a toddler? Even a grown up person can't do that.

Not sure if they said this on purpose to vacate us.

But one thing I noticed is the management always takes the neighbor's side as if they own the whole property, only they have rights to live here, not us.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 PM

60 posts, read 83,122 times
Sounds like your apt building has structural problems. Moving might be a good fix for you. :x :\ blessing in disguise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia