Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

I am having the identical problem with my downstairs neighbor! I have done plenty to accommodate them, but they insist that it didn't make any difference. After first couple complaints I started to try to keep my child from running until I realized that trying to keep him grounded was making my child miserable. 2 year old is not capable to understand that people below us can hear every step, every sound she was making. I became very snappy. .. and for what? To keep the person below happy while my child is unhappy? No way! I am not saying she can be wild all day and all night. We keep it down before 9am and after 9pm. I just got a letter requesting us not have any noise after 7pm. People, be realistic! In my opinion, people should consider the fact that if they are moving on the bottom floor, chances are the people above will have kids or dogs making plenty of noise. So, if you don't like noise, don't rent or buy bottom floor unit. If you did, suck it up, should have used your head. Toddlers are full of life, keep them from being them means making them unhappy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
I have a 22 month old toddler who runs/stomps always except bed time and nap time.

But never after 10 pm or before 7 am. Apartment leasing office called us few times about this. Our downstairs neighbor also called cops couple of times. Cops were very nice and they said they could understand our situation, it's a toddler and he is being a toddler which is perfectly fine. Cops asked us to have a word with the neighbor and try to resolve ourselves. But I don't think this is going to be resolved like that.

Looks like now we are kind of forced to leave or move to some other apartment. We just moved here a few months ago and most likely will move out in the next few months once we buy our home late spring or summer time.

Few days back, apartment management people brought few contractors to do a floor testing and found something wrong with the concrete floor/studs relocated etc in the dinning area floor which causes more noise to the downstairs neighbor. And then they said the most ridiculous thing that my toddler's stomping/running caused this problem. BTW, he is 22 pounds.

Moving to another place is the only option we have now? Or Is it correct for the apartment people to ask us to move? Is there any law that protect us, a family with kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,226,231 times
Honestly i have no sympathy for people who are loud. I have lived in the same apt for 11 years with mutiple people below me and never had a noise complaint against me. I am quite large person too.learn how to walk without stomping and you will have better relations with your neighbors.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
I think this 2014 topic might have been resolved by now.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:01 PM

529 posts, read 751,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I think this 2014 topic might have been resolved by now.
anuta306, Thanks for bringing back our nightmare.

I am very sorry to hear that you go through this. We had tough time controlling our toddler too. Finally we gave up and moved to a lower apartment for just one reason, we didn't want to take away his toddler life.

Bigfoot,

If you are curious what happened to the OP (which is actually me).....

We were forced to move to a much smaller apartment in the lower floor in the same apartment complex.

We later came to know through maintenance people that our previous downstairs neighbor has been a constant whiner, have done the same to previous tenants and forced them to leave.

I should probably have sued the management. Apartment leasing office knowingly let us take the apartment above him, especially when they knew we have 2 small kids.

Within a few months, we bought a home and moved out happily.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:03 PM

529 posts, read 751,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Honestly i have no sympathy for people who are loud. I have lived in the same apt for 11 years with mutiple people below me and never had a noise complaint against me. I am quite large person too.learn how to walk without stomping and you will have better relations with your neighbors.

Seriously ??? You are comparing yourself with a toddler.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Seriously ??? You are comparing yourself with a toddler.
Could be a really big toddler.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:37 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,291,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Could be a really big toddler.
Or a very small adult.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,208 times
This is why I always get an apartment on the top floor.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,319,770 times
I replied to the original post 2 years ago. Having kids in an apartment is tough, especially if a ground floor unit isn't available. But at the same time someone shouldn't feel guilty or obligated to avoid an apartment if they have kids and that's really all that fits in their budget. I guess we just all have to get along somehow.

I have mine in a townhouse and I feel even guilty about that because I know my neighbors can here them running around, but what are you going to do? We will move to a house eventually but in the meantime we just do the best we can to let them be kids while simultaneously disturbing the neighbors as little as possible.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I replied to the original post 2 years ago. Having kids in an apartment is tough, especially if a ground floor unit isn't available. But at the same time someone shouldn't feel guilty or obligated to avoid an apartment if they have kids and that's really all that fits in their budget. I guess we just all have to get along somehow.

I have mine in a townhouse and I feel even guilty about that because I know my neighbors can here them running around, but what are you going to do? We will move to a house eventually but in the meantime we just do the best we can to let them be kids while simultaneously disturbing the neighbors as little as possible.
I lived in townhomes for like 10 years and I never really was bothered by neighbor noise except one neighbor who played the drums on occasion. I'm surprised when people mention neighbor noise as a worry when moving into a TH. We had neighbors that had young kids too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia