Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times

Advertisements

Having just moved to Ashburn a few weeks ago, I am trying to figure out if in Loudoun County has the Personal Property tax stickers that go next to the inspection stickers on the windshield. Some cars have them, some don't.

A second question. My daughter has our second car with her in Blacksburg, where she spends most of the year as a student at VT. Are we supposed to consider that car as garaged in Blacksburg, or here in Ashburn? We are the owners that ler her use the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Loudoun County definitely still uses the property tax decals. Vehicle Decals - FAQs

Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM

15 posts, read 38,033 times
Yes, see Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Pay Taxes & Decals

Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks for those links. I found that our cars are already in their system, and also how much we owe. However, neither link answers my second question.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thanks for those links. I found that our cars are already in their system, and also how much we owe. However, neither link answers my second question.
I think last year I paid $25 each car for the decal. You'll also get a hefty personal property tax bill so heads up! You will get an invoice in the mail from the County. Did you change your address in the DMVnow.com site?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I think last year I paid $25 each car for the decal. You'll also get a hefty personal property tax bill so heads up! You will get an invoice in the mail from the County. Did you change your address in the DMVnow.com site?
No. My info is already there since I registered my cars. I am aware of the Car tax. This isn't my first time living in NoVA.

I wish someone knew the answer to my second question. I guess I'll just call and find out now that it's Monday.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,305 times
You are supposed to pay the personal property tax in the county/city where the vehicle is normally garaged or parked. Since you say the car spends most of the year in Blacksburg technically that is where you should pay the car tax. In reality I suspect most parents just continue to pay the car tax in their home county instead of transferring it when they give the car to their child.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
You are supposed to pay the personal property tax in the county/city where the vehicle is normally garaged or parked. Since you say the car spends most of the year in Blacksburg technically that is where you should pay the car tax. In reality I suspect most parents just continue to pay the car tax in their home county instead of transferring it when they give the car to their child.
That's what I'm thinking. It seems like an unnecessary hassle to have to do it in two different counties. I'm going to call and verify. I actually forgot to call today. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 PM

143 posts, read 395,458 times
Do NoVa counties still hire people to prowl parking lots of apartment buildings, etc. to check for the tax decals? Perhaps if you pay the tax in one location and it's parked in another place part of the year and can show a decal, you'd be okay, but I'd want to know the limit. When I lived in Arlington for a few months, while in training courses for the Foreign Service (working overseas), and had my car with California plates, I got dinged for not having a sticker.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:08 PM

I called Loudoun County and they said, "pay here". I didn't call Montgomery County, VA (Blacksburg area) yet. I'll probably just do what they said on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia