Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,662,196 times

Advertisements

The Skyline condos in Bailey's Crossroads area have some studio units in those buildings. That's a rental by owner, so you may be able to find something there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,179,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
There are plenty of studio apartments inside the beltway. You'll pay for location though, which it doesn't sound like you need. To be honest, I'd be leery about the neighborhoods around any place renting for <$800/month.

"Squatting in someone's basement" is an odd way of looking at it. These apartments generally have separate entrances, their own kitchen/bath, and a lot more space than a regular apartment. My friends who went this route have very nice places.

Do you have an upward trajectory on your salary? Is this $30k/year a year or two thing before you can get the experience to switch to another job or get a promotion, or is this your permanent outlook?
Who knows man. At the end of the day I will eventually leave this area. It's way too expensive, and only seems to cater to the high income earners and people content with having room mates forever.

And true, it' snot " squatting in someone's basement " , but I'd rather just pay my 400 a month living in my mothers basement, where I'm comfortable, than pay 800+ to live in a strangers basement. I'd always feel like I have to tip toe around. There's no sense of ownership. You're literally just living in someone's house.

I'm working a full time " Office job" for a Workers comp company, while going to school, but I'm majoring in like, social work, so the money will never be huge for me. I KNOW it could be worse. I know that 24 with just an associates, I've lucked out with this job. The pay could be much, much worse, and it was at previous jobs, it has profit sharing, 401k, full benefits, it's a good job. Not really what I want to do, but what I want to do won't pay much more, but will require a good deal of education and lost income from interning and whatnot.

I dunno. I may have to rethink my choice of major. I think it's just poor planning. All the housing options are totally skewed towards the higher income people. All of it. That's why there is an abundance of people with rooms and basements they don't need renting them out.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to renting a basement if I didn't have to deal with the, you can't do anything but sleep here rules, TV off at 10pm rules so many have. And of course it's there house, there rules, but I don't need much more space than a freaking dorm room. I guess I just need to find a room mate.

Last edited by Megadell; 08-31-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post

Apartment Rental Company, Affordable Apartments | Dale City, VA

I'm not sure the prices these days but they do efficiencies. Just be warned that it's not the nicest place
Yea I saw that. I also saw that you need like, amazing credit. I don't have bad credit, I don't have good credit, I have no credit. Literally no credit history. I was always told to stay away from Credit cards and I did. That's kinda backfired in that no credit is the same as bad credit.

But the cost of their units is so low, maybe I can offer them like, 3 months rent to bypass my lack of credit. I've never been there though, so I don't know how the neighborhood is. I would imagine the worst nova has to offer is not that bad.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM

147 posts, read 352,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I just need a room to sleep in, a bathroom with a sink, toiler, and shower, and a small kitchen with a stove, sink, fridge, and a little counter space.

Are there such a thing as studio apartments in Nova? I need to move outta my moms place but damn if I can't one. Everywhere I look I see condos and town houses sprouting up. 200k here, 200k there.

Nova is one giant suburb. Sure, you've got plenty of people making huge money from the federal government, but at the same time, Nova is also for the most part, one giant freaking strip mall. Full of people making 9 bucks an hour.

I make about 30k a year, not a lot, but for a single person, above the poverty line. But all the housing here is 1200 minimum for one bedrooms.

But as I said, I neither need, nor really want a one bedroom. Not if I can get a studio, a freaking....500square food studio, for 7-800 a month.
Many years ago, I lived in two studio apartments in Alexandria: Southern Towers and Riverside Park. Both were affordable, and Southern Towers included utilities.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 PM

26,722 posts, read 41,984,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_VA View Post
Many years ago, I lived in two studio apartments in Alexandria: Southern Towers and Riverside Park. Both were affordable, and Southern Towers included utilities.
Im currently looking for studio apartments and Southern Towers studios go for under $1100.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM

There is a place around where I am, they charge 1200 for a two bedroom with 800 square feet, and 1000 for a studio with 300 square feet.

Do they even math? Who would sign up for that? Who would take that studio?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,444,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
There is a place around where I am, they charge 1200 for a two bedroom with 800 square feet, and 1000 for a studio with 300 square feet.

Do they even math? Who would sign up for that? Who would take that studio?
Anyone who wants to rent a studio apartment.

Of course there are studio apartments in NoVA. Lots of them. But you demand a studio apartment at 30% less than locally prevailing market rates close-in. If $700-800 is all you want to pay, move further out. You said you found your price range in Dale City. Go for it. If you want to stay in that price range in Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax find some roommates.

Last edited by ersatz; 08-31-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 PM

You rent studio apartments because they are suppose to be cheaper. They are smaller, and the price should reflect that.

And I never really said Arlington / Alexandria/ Fairfax. I specifically said Manassas/ Woodbridge. The $1000, 300 square foot studio, was in woodbridge, which is ridiculous. Not so much in that the 2 bedroom is a steal at $1200, because it isn't, it's on trend for everything else, but that the studio is ridiculously over priced at $1000, with almost a 3rd of the size. You can save 200 bucks by giving up 500 square feet. Seriously?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,987,492 times
Supply and demand. They're not really "overpriced" if people are renting them. There is a premium for your own space, and apparently it's more than you're willing to pay. It's the reason why most 20-something have roommates--splitting a 2 br is significantly cheaper than a 1 br.

Sorry this is so frustrating for you.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM

I suppose. Ill just hold out for the place in Dale City. Wont hear back until tuesday though. I realize people are willing to pay 1k for a studio, rare as they are. Most places start at 1 bdr, but jeez its frustrating all the same.

Room mates are unreliable. Too unreliable. Even with friends, its lime going into business with someone. Your finances are linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia