Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 PM

24 posts, read 29,025 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a young couple. We are from a big city but one of us got a new job in DC. We have a tight budget of 1200 (for the DC Area as I understand) for a 2BR apartment.

We understand we will probably have to live farther out to afford the area. That's just the way it is. Just as our first stop we visited some apartments in Frederick, MD. We liked a few but some not so much. They weren't anything as bad as big city slums by any stretch of the imagination. But, they weren't exactly desirable. If that's what our budget gets us, it is what it is. We've done worse. But we were hoping someone here could recommend something better or alternatives in VA.

Not interested in urban areas (we've done our whole life urban want to experience something different/peaceful). Looking for more of a suburban or country location that's commutable to DC (via train to Union Station, bus) etc. We would be open to suburban options but at least from online prices it looks like we'll have to go pretty far out into Virginia.

Are there any options in Arlington/Alexandria that are affordable and desirable i.e. cars won't be broken into etc. We know the "rougher" parts of NOVA are still way better than East New York, but we'd rather skip that and do a longer commute if we had to. At the same time we're hoping that doesn't mean Fredericksburg/Warrenton/Marshall.

What's the story on Manassas or Woodbridge areas? Best and worst apt. complexes?

Any recommendations on 2BR apartments under 1200 in the VA suburbs/exurbs in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90minDC View Post
Hi, we are a young couple. We are from a big city but one of us got a new job in DC. We have a tight budget of 1200 (for the DC Area as I understand) for a 2BR apartment.

We understand we will probably have to live farther out to afford the area. That's just the way it is. Just as our first stop we visited some apartments in Frederick, MD. We liked a few but some not so much. They weren't anything as bad as big city slums by any stretch of the imagination. But, they weren't exactly desirable. If that's what our budget gets us, it is what it is. We've done worse. But we were hoping someone here could recommend something better or alternatives in VA.

Not interested in urban areas (we've done our whole life urban want to experience something different/peaceful). Looking for more of a suburban or country location that's commutable to DC (via train to Union Station, bus) etc. We would be open to suburban options but at least from online prices it looks like we'll have to go pretty far out into Virginia.

Are there any options in Arlington/Alexandria that are affordable and desirable i.e. cars won't be broken into etc. We know the "rougher" parts of NOVA are still way better than East New York, but we'd rather skip that and do a longer commute if we had to. At the same time we're hoping that doesn't mean Fredericksburg/Warrenton/Marshall.

What's the story on Manassas or Woodbridge areas? Best and worst apt. complexes?

Any recommendations on 2BR apartments under 1200 in the VA suburbs/exurbs in general?
2br for $1200 with a bearable commute to DC? Not gonna happen. $1200 is pushing it for a studio here.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
To find a 2 BR for $1200, you are probably going to have to go so far out, that much of your savings in rent will be eaten up by very expensive commuting costs. Since you are a couple, you may have to settle for a 1 BR or studio apartment and learn to live with the smaller space. Maybe some others will have some recommendations, but $1200 for housing will not go very far in NoVA or the greater metro DC area.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
I suggest look at Mt. Vernon Square Apartments in Alexandria, VA. I don't think you will find 2 bdr for 1200 (you won't find that anywhere), but you will find the lowest prices you are likely to find within a reasonable commute to DC. It's mainly a working but lower income complex, but if you don't have kids then I think it's fine. It's appearance is pretty nice considering the costs. You might get a 1bdrm there close to your price range (but probably still a little over it). It would be a reasonable commute to DC since it's straight down route 1 and Mt. Vernon Parkway, also not too far from a metro.

If you really want to suffer with the commute, you can try Leesburg and take the VRE to work. It's torturous, but I know people who do it. You still won't find a 2bedrm for 1200, but maybe a 1 bedrm.

I think the next cheapest town is probably Centreville, but I don't know what that commute would be like since there is no metro there.

Forget Warrenton, etc - you simply cannot commute to DC from there every day. It would be kind of like commuting from Albany to NYC.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
I searched homesdatabase.com and found about a dozen listings that are in the general Northern Virginia area that are a 2BR with a rent of $1200 or less. Some even have a reasonable commute (Woodbridge/Lake Ridge or Lorton), but I don't know about the specific addresses in question. You may want to browse that site yourself to see if you like any of the places listed.

Other than a 2BR, what are you looking for in a location? Where exactly in DC will one of you be working? Where will the other one work? These might help you narrow down a potential location.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:33 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
If you really want to suffer with the commute, you can try Leesburg and take the VRE to work.
Where are they catching the VRE from Leesburg?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
For instance, 12222 STEVENSON CT #12222, WOODBRIDGE, VA 22192 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com is in 22192 in the Springwoods area, which is considered a pretty good area overall.

9666 HAGEL CIR #D, LORTON, VA 22079 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com and 9643 HAGEL CIR #29/B, LORTON, VA 22079 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com are located near each other in Lorton, and one mentions a nearby commuter bus that will take you to the VRE.

I'm not sure about the Lorton location, but it is very rare to see a 22192 rental (Stevenson Ct.) go for that price.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
No thought to Bowie or Silver Spring MD?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
Yikes - I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment in Alexandria for about $1250 per month, but that was at least 5 years ago now, and we got in during a really good deal (apartments were going for more than ours within just a couple months of us moving in). I think you'll be very hard pressed to find something in that price range in an area with good public transportation options. I lived in Lake Ridge and personally wouldn't want to have to commute from there to DC every day, but I know many people do it. Your commuting tolerance is going to be a big factor here.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
Man, everyone here is so negative! Lets get creative!

Instead of a standalone apartment, there are people around the area that will rent out basement apartments. As an example:

$1200 for a 2br in Lorton - Finished Basement w/ Full Kitchen & Bath in Beautiful House

You could also inquire about rooms for rent and whether they would take in a couple. Here's an example of a large townhouse in a complex I used to live in:

$1100 for the master BR/BA - Master Bedroom/Bathroom in Arlington Townhouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia