Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM

24 posts, read 29,058 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion/gave feedback and even listing sites we weren't aware of. We're used to the 90 minute commute so it's not untested waters. Fredericksburg may be too far for us. But, we're not surprised that we can't do McLean or Crystal City nor would we necessarily want to. Work is exactly at Union Station so VRE would be the probable means of transit. We're moreso looking along the VRE line as deep as Manassas or Triangle/Lorton, but open to other suggestions due to our relative ignorance of the area. We'd consider Alexandria but would prefer not to be so close to DC unless it were cleaner/safer/more more affordable than the alternatives. It seems less affordable and we'd rather not live within walking distance of a metro. (just blew your mind with that one probably lol) We've budgeted for fuel/train passes and are willing to spend more at the pump/railway to get away from congestion. We know 1200 is not a lot of money for housing especially in an area like Northern Virginia, one of the most expensive in the country. We're just looking for the least rodents/insects/broken car windows/drug transactions/neighbors for our buck. We know there's a "bad" part of most every city/suburb/small-town and we may very well be relegated to that. If that's the case we'd take the least bad "bad" part of town. 2BR is a must. Would prefer W/D in unit. It might be undo-able altogether. If anyone else has any further constructive input that would be appreciated. I've already learned a few things so thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM

979 posts, read 1,777,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Man, everyone here is so negative! Lets get creative!
Don't confuse honesty for negativity OP specified a 2 bedroom apartment, so that's the type of responses here. Some people are pretty adamantly opposed to living in a basement or shared house for a variety of reasons. If OP is open to those types of options, I'd start by checking out craigslist.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Where are they catching the VRE from Leesburg?
I'm not sure. I think there is a bus involved. I think someone once mentioned also taking a bus all the way in. All I know is they all said it's brutal - 1.5 to 2 hours.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90minDC View Post
Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion/gave feedback and even listing sites we weren't aware of. We're used to the 90 minute commute so it's not untested waters. Fredericksburg may be too far for us. But, we're not surprised that we can't do McLean or Crystal City nor would we necessarily want to. Work is exactly at Union Station so VRE would be the probable means of transit. We're moreso looking along the VRE line as deep as Manassas or Triangle/Lorton, but open to other suggestions due to our relative ignorance of the area. We'd consider Alexandria but would prefer not to be so close to DC unless it were cleaner/safer/more more affordable than the alternatives. It seems less affordable and we'd rather not live within walking distance of a metro. (just blew your mind with that one probably lol) We've budgeted for fuel/train passes and are willing to spend more at the pump/railway to get away from congestion. We know 1200 is not a lot of money for housing especially in an area like Northern Virginia, one of the most expensive in the country. We're just looking for the least rodents/insects/broken car windows/drug transactions/neighbors for our buck. We know there's a "bad" part of most every city/suburb/small-town and we may very well be relegated to that. If that's the case we'd take the least bad "bad" part of town. 2BR is a must. Would prefer W/D in unit. It might be undo-able altogether. If anyone else has any further constructive input that would be appreciated. I've already learned a few things so thanks.
Honestly, I have lived in NY so I know what you're imagining, but even the most urban part of Northern Virginia and the cheapest place to live probably doesn't have rodents/insects/broken car windows/drug transactions. Well, actually you can find rodents and insects anywhere, but it's not like NYC. Most places are clean and safe - even the cheap ones.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM

20,128 posts, read 16,183,823 times
If you don't mind a longer commute, the VRE goes to Fredericksburg, where prices are significantly better. You might even be able to get something in Stafford, which is a little closer. There is also Leeland Station. If you are already used to a 90 minute commute, this isn't a bad way to go and seems to fit much of what you are asking for.
Fredericksburg Apartments - Rent Apartments in Fredericksburg, VA

Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,924 times
One thing to keep in mind here compared to NY is no express trains and the limited hours VRE operates. I don't believe you will find what you're looking for near the Manassas line and think you'd be better off looking at the Fredericksburg line. I would also post separately about parking at any station you're considering and how fast they fill up.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Don't confuse honesty for negativity
OP here. I know you weren't addressing me. But personally, I didn't confuse the honesty for negativity. Things are what they are. I'm glad this forum exists with informed individuals. I come in peace looking for info. If someone has any that's great.

And yes there are reasons for the 2BR and W/D in unit but I didn't think my life story was pertinent to the question of what the best 2BR in the 1200 range in Nova is. (Not addressing you specifically with that point) But yes, there are reasons I have the criteria I have and why they're inflexible.

I'm not an overly sensitive person so it's cool and actually helpful when someone says "You won't find that here." And, even more helpful when they say, but you might find it here.

I appreciate all responses.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you don't mind a longer commute, the VRE goes to Fredericksburg, where prices are significantly better. You might even be able to get something in Stafford, which is a little closer. There is also Leeland Station. If you are already used to a 90 minute commute, this isn't a bad way to go and seems to fit much of what you are asking for.
Fredericksburg Apartments - Rent Apartments in Fredericksburg, VA
The VRE in Fredericksburg/Drive to Fredericksburg is 90 minutes? I'm just asking because we left from DC once to go out to eat there just for a day trip and it seemed a bit longer. But if my memory misleads me I did really like the huge shopping center there.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Honestly, I have lived in NY so I know what you're imagining, but even the most urban part of Northern Virginia and the cheapest place to live probably doesn't have rodents/insects/broken car windows/drug transactions. Well, actually you can find rodents and insects anywhere, but it's not like NYC. Most places are clean and safe - even the cheap ones.
No I know what you're saying I just try not to give off that "my ghetto's worse than your ghetto vibe" but on apartment ratings sites some people do complain about insects and crime in certain communities in NOVA. At the same time I realize that apartment rating sites are often bastions of the neurotic. The "ghettos" of NOVA aren't comparable to what we're used to, but a broken window is a broken window and a roach is a roach. According to apartment reviews there are "undesirable" spots in NOVA. But again, I understand your point on a neighborhood being a 2/10 on the slum scale versus a 8/10 on the slum scale. I know we're not going to run into a Pink Houses type environment even in "Hoodbridge" as I've heard it called.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Man, everyone here is so negative! Lets get creative!

Instead of a standalone apartment, there are people around the area that will rent out basement apartments. As an example:

$1200 for a 2br in Lorton - Finished Basement w/ Full Kitchen & Bath in Beautiful House

You could also inquire about rooms for rent and whether they would take in a couple. Here's an example of a large townhouse in a complex I used to live in:

$1100 for the master BR/BA - Master Bedroom/Bathroom in Arlington Townhouse
I appreciate the effort and creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia