Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,539,688 times

Advertisements

Could Silver Line Cause Tysons Parking Problems? | NBC4 Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM

540 posts, read 794,845 times
I'm sure that there will be people doing that, but I just can't imagine changing my routine to drive into Tyson's to grab transit. That seems like the worst of both worlds.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,621,040 times
at pentagon city they close off several floors of the garage till after AM rush hour is over. Granted thats a paid garage, not a free one, but Im not sure they couldn't do something similar at Tysons.

Ultimately, as Tysons urbanizes, Im not sure free parking at the mall will continue to make sense to the mall owners.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM

671 posts, read 1,125,701 times
There is a whole lot of construction across 123 that looks like parking lots. I thought they were going to have a shuttle bus to the station.
The station itself looks abandoned in a sea of 8 lane roads. I don't know how any pedestrians are going to get to the office complexes.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,336,301 times
I just wanna know who these people who want to drive into whats been called "traffic hell on earth" by Washington Post, to park... to ride a metro.

Parking is the worst thing they could do at the Tysons metro. You think it stops at parking? You creating parking lots, you gotta create adequate in and outs, upgraded roads around it all. Deal with it people, NO PARKING. If you live outside of 3 miles from Tysons your best bet is Wiehle or Vienna anyways. Otherwise, if you live inside of that circle but not close enough to walk, try the multiple bike trails that exist or will be added or heaven forbid a bus, of which there are going to be significantly more of.

I think most people dont know that the bus transfer is reduced if you switch to metro from it, so it ends up as basically a dollar ( a lot cheaper than parking anyways).

Depressing. Parking parking parking. Humanity is destined to always worry where to put their damned cars

Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM

136 posts, read 223,991 times
Come on now. Everyone is being so short-sighted. Fifty years from now, Tysons will be a walkers' paradise and no one will drive cars anywhere near Tysons. If it's reasonable to wait 18 months to fix an escalator, then what's another 50 years of parking problems in Tysons?

Have faith. Metro is a professionally-run organization that I'm sure has already thought of a solution for this problem. Have they let ever let us down before?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Come on now. Everyone is being so short-sighted. Fifty years from now, Tysons will be a walkers' paradise and no one will drive cars anywhere near Tysons. If it's reasonable to wait 18 months to fix an escalator, then what's another 50 years of parking problems in Tysons?

Have faith. Metro is a professionally-run organization that I'm sure has already thought of a solution for this problem. Have they let ever let us down before?
Do you live in Tysons? What parking problems? Seriously. What parking problems? There are 150,000 parking spaces in Tysons. Fathom that number. There are only 20,000 residents.

Parking is not the problem in tysons, the continued bad design of turning it into a office park on steroids, what the parking plan will continue to do, is the problem.

For the record, those in charge are already moving forward with interim parking to be negotiated with land developers. The sprawl and crawlers and AAA representatives have won again. Can't wait to see how beautiful these parking lots will look directly adjacent to metro on land that is worth 10+ million per acre.

Woo!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM

136 posts, read 223,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Do you live in Tysons? What parking problems? Seriously. What parking problems? There are 150,000 parking spaces in Tysons. Fathom that number. There are only 20,000 residents.

Parking is not the problem in tysons, the continued bad design of turning it into a office park on steroids, what the parking plan will continue to do, is the problem.

For the record, those in charge are already moving forward with interim parking to be negotiated with land developers. The sprawl and crawlers and AAA representatives have won again. Can't wait to see how beautiful these parking lots will look directly adjacent to metro on land that is worth 10+ million per acre.

Woo!
Uhhhh, dude. I thought it was obvious that I was joking about the whole situation in Tysons. I don't think we need more parking in Tysons - never said that. I just think that there's a lot of poor planning. So just relax. Repeat after me: It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

Last edited by FC Merrifield; 04-26-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM

158 posts, read 218,067 times
Quote:

This is the same org that spent 1.5 million to install two concrete stairs at Vienna metero.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Sorry, perhaps I shouldnt have picked on you. But this entire report creates false assumptions and was bad reporting to start with by Adam Tuss. It doesnt look at the actual numbers. What this story, and countless by WaEx has done is create a sense of "planning need" in the supervisors to the point that they have moved forward with getting a contract for parking. Even though not a single darn report has shown the NEED for that parking.

Reports like this, and people who continue to say we need more parking in Tysons, without even looking at the numbers, are causing tomorrows traffic nightmares and that is tough for me to watch and not get agitated about.

Sorry for the direction towards you, that was general dismay towards the world that has become controlled by AAA and american petroleum institute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia