Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,610 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're looking for a house in several Falls Church area school districts. I read that Shrevewood uses the common knowledge curriculum. Does anyone know if there are standardized tests (in addition to the SOLs) related to that curriculum? (Mainly I want to know if my kids will end up taking more even more standardized tests than they already must). Also - how is so called "gifted" education approached there? Are kids separated out or are different levels addressed on an individual basis in the classroom? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxlady View Post
Hi! We're looking for a house in several Falls Church area school districts. I read that Shrevewood uses the common knowledge curriculum. Does anyone know if there are standardized tests (in addition to the SOLs) related to that curriculum? (Mainly I want to know if my kids will end up taking more even more standardized tests than they already must). Also - how is so called "gifted" education approached there? Are kids separated out or are different levels addressed on an individual basis in the classroom? Many thanks!
While I'm not familiar with the "common knowledge" curriculum, or whether it's offered at Shrevewood, here's a link to the school's FCPS profile and web page:

http://commweb.fcps.edu/schoolprofil...profile_id=083

Shrevewood Elementary School, All children who come to Shrevewood will be able to acquire mastery of the Program of Studies and Standards of Learning objectives in all subject areas and see themselves as productive, achieving, valued and respected in

Students at Shrevewood who are eligible for "Advanced Academic Programs" (what used to be called "Gifted & Talented") currently attend the AAP program at Haycock ES. There are proposals under discussion that would move AAP students for whom Shrevewood ES is their base school from Haycock ES to Lemon Road ES starting in the fall of 2013, although students already at Haycock might be "grandfathered" (allowed to stay at Haycock). Right now, however, Haycock is closed to new students.

There is also some possibility that, at some point over the next few years, Shrevewood's general boundaries may be revised, so that some kids might be moved to Lemon Road as their "base" school. This is because Shrevewood is projected to be over-enrolled in the coming years, whereas Lemon Road is under-enrolled, but is getting an addition to accommodate some of the growth in the Tysons area. Nothing has been decided yet, as it depends in part on what FCPS decides to do with the AAP assignments. However, before FCPS started to discuss a new AAP center at Lemon Road, it had suggested that it might adjust the "base" boundaries of Shrevewood and/or Westgate ES and send some of the students currently zoned for those schools to Lemon Road.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Depending upon the age of your children, you may find that the Local Level IV "gifted" (AAP) program is offered at Shrevewood. There is talk among FCPS staff of offering Local Level IV at several more schools in the Marshall pyramid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia