Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM

414 posts, read 907,728 times

Advertisements

With the prospect of severe conditions looming very large for Northern Virginia, the entire D.C. Metro area, and the entire eastern seaboard in general, probably a good idea to have a thread dedicated for Hurricane Sandy.

Expected conditions of 5-10" rain fall, sustained winds of 45-55+MPH with gusts 60-75MPH over a very prolonged period of time, and over a very large area. Wind gusts in excess of 80MPH are possible. This will have major impacts on all of us, and will likely case serious damage, over a wide spread area, as well as flooding, and wide spread power outages, likely lasting for extended periods of time.

Post your information, stories, even photos here. Ill start with some very important information:

• D.C. Government CLOSED tomorrow, Monday Oct 29th, 2012.
  • Federal Government in D.C. (and likely all offices in and around the D.C. area, is closed Monday Oct 29th 2012.
  • ALL METRO RAIL AND BUS SERVICE IS SUSPENDED for Monday Oct 29th 2012. Metro will operate through Sunday night, and then will close indefinitely.
  • ALL LOUDOUN COUNTY TRANSIT COMMUTER BUS SERVICE IS CANCELLED for Monday Oct 29th 2012 due to sustained high winds from sandy.

Some important links:

TRANSIT:

METRO RAIL / METRO BUS *** NO METRO RAIL OR BUS SERVICE MONDAY 10/29/12 ***

Metro - Service Status Advisory

VDOT
http://http://www.virginiadot.org/

Loudoun County Transit *** NO LC TRANSIT COMMUTER BUS SERVICE MONDAY 10/12/12 ***

Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Commuter Bus Service

VA Emergency Management

Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM)

D.C. Emergency Management
hsema | Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency

Alexandria City Emergency Management
Emergency Preparedness | Communications & Public Information | City of Alexandria, VA

Arlington County Emergency Management
Office of Emergency Management (OEM) : Office of Emergency Management (OEM)

Clark County Emergency Management
Clark County Office of Emergency Management

Fairfax County Emergency Management
Office of Emergency Management*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Frederick County Emergency Management
Frederick County, VA -- Fire and Rescue Department

Loudoun County Emergency Management
Loudoun County, VA - Official Website - Office of Emergency Management

Prince William County Emergency Management
http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dep...s/default.aspx

Stafford County Emergency Management
Stafford County Fire & Rescue Department - Stafford County, Virginia

Warren County Emergency Management
Emergency Resources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
So you didn't like the two other threads that have been going all day on this topic?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,771,805 times
Why not just merge all of them? Great one-stop shop for your Sandy knowledge for regulars, lurkers, and out-of-state visitors.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,971 times
The wife and I are puzzling over the OPM Operating Status page, which says that federal offices are "closed to the public." WTH? Are employees part of the public? Or do they mean closed to visitors?

(We know they mean everyone, including employees, but still--that wording is stupid.)

Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The wife and I are puzzling over the OPM Operating Status page, which says that federal offices are "closed to the public." WTH? Are employees part of the public? Or do they mean closed to visitors?

(We know they mean everyone, including employees, but still--that wording is stupid.)

I know--it is weird.

I think it's a combination of trying to say: Hey, don't show up at the Social Security Administration tomorrow to talk about your benefits and, also, if you are a non-essential government employee, don't show up either. I honestly think they aren't supposed to let you in building unless you are deemed emergency.

Interestingly, we are all under telework agreements in my office so we will all be working, despite the closure.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM

367 posts, read 885,141 times
I was wondering the same thing am I to report to work tomorrow?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Interstingly, we are all under telework agreements in my office so we will all be working, despite the closure.
At least until the power goes out.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
I was wondering the same thing am I to report to work tomorrow?

Not if you are a federal worker (non-emergency).

Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Thank you, they made it confusing by saying closed to the public, it leaves an implication that employees should still show up!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM

I got another duh question but sterling, va is considered the washington dc area federal gov as well right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia